PDA

View Full Version : replacing handlebars

zephead400ex
09-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Tonight I am going to put on my new handlebars! The end pieces that are on the stock handlebars, they just screw out, right? Is this piece going to fit on my Renthal bars? If not, what do you suggest? This is another stupid question. What is the best way to get the grips off the stock bars????

2qk4u
09-11-2002, 09:47 PM
You really cant get the old grips off and save them. you should just get somne new grips. they are inly at the most 10 bones. you do not use the caps of the stock bars. just take all your accesories off and install the new bars. I really like my renthals. did you get the atv bend?

zephead400ex
09-11-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks man! I have new grips, just wondering if there was an easy way to get them off. So...are there end caps that go on the bars or do they stay open?! Yes, I got the ATV bend.

Leo
09-12-2002, 04:52 AM
The new grips should cover up the holes in the end of the bars..

I filled mine with some silicone to help lessen the vibration (seems to have helped)..

When your swapping everything over, the start/kill/headlight switch has a little peg on the inside (that fits into a hole on the sock bars). You'll have to cut that off to get it to fit your renthals properly.

Leo

2qk4u
09-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Yeh and you will probably have to wrap some electical tape around your bar where your kill switch goes to get the switch to be tight on the bar. if you dont it will probably be very loose on there. mine was very loose till i did that. hope this helps

lil400exman
09-12-2002, 02:59 PM
yes make sure you use tape! zip ties will ciut the wires and nake them short out!

zephead400ex
09-12-2002, 03:07 PM
Well...got the bars on and my WB Pro Meg exhaust on!!

When your swapping everything over, the start/kill/headlight switch has a little peg on the inside (that fits into a hole on the sock bars). You'll have to cut that off to get it to fit your renthals properly.

I didnt have to cut anything off to get the switch contraption to bolt onto the bars. I had to use electrical tape on one of the grips b/c it was too loose, but the other grip was hella tight-it was harder than a witches titty to get the one grip on...

But the bike looks really nice now! I will try to post pics some...

Later guys!