PDA

View Full Version : 300ex no start

durs845
11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
alright i have a 2001 300ex .let me start out by telling you it ran fine earler in the week untill i went to install a new filter , sparkplug , and a rev box.after the installs the atv cranked and cranked just wouldnt fire , then all of a sudden nothing at all it wont even turn over.all the lights still work and the battery tested at 12.26 volts.is there anyway to test the starter solenoid without replacing?or what else could it be????any help would be appreciated.

honda965
11-15-2006, 03:27 PM
any u sure ur sparkplugs in all the way,make sure the wire is hooked to the spark plug all the way

durs845
11-15-2006, 06:18 PM
ill check that first thing tomorrow even though i believe the plug to be plugged in correctly.even if it wasnt the motor should still turn over though which it doesnt.this leads me to believe that either the battery , starter solenoid , or starter is no good.how do i pin point my problem area????

Sjorge450R
11-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by durs845
ill check that first thing tomorrow even though i believe the plug to be plugged in correctly.even if it wasnt the motor should still turn over though which it doesnt.this leads me to believe that either the battery , starter solenoid , or starter is no good.how do i pin point my problem area????

put everything back to the way that it was. Then add each new part one by one testing in between. Also, some rev boxes specifically state that they will not start if the battery is not 100% charged.

durs845
11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
while its the starter solenoid checked it by jumping it from one stud to the next stud.now i got spark and it turns over when bypassing the solenoid just wont fire up.what is the approximate turns the idle speed screw should have on a stock 300???

2muchquad
11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Thats gonna vary from machine to machine.checked your fuses?

durs845
11-16-2006, 09:07 PM
checked the fuse thats still good.i can get it running now by jumping that solenoid/relay with a screwdriver.i think i got the idle screw adjusted about right too.only thing is after riding for a while and shutting off then restarting about an hour later i got some white smoke coming out the exhaust???WTF???

250X_project
11-17-2006, 03:20 PM
The smoke just with start up? If so it's most likely the valve seals You just need the seals and a head gasket so you can take the head off to put the seals in. Then you can lap and lube the valves, while your at it...then adjust to .004 when its back together....might want to buy a soleniod too lol