PDA

View Full Version : TRX450r's on the Dunes?

ugottabayou
11-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Talked to a couple friends that got back from waynoka last weekend. I would like to get a sport quad, and a trx450r was kinda my choice for one if I got the loan and a good deal. One of my buddies was telling me how these quads are actually kinda hated at the dunes. Said guys thought they just didn't handle near as well in the sand as other quads.

Any thoughts on this?

250r4life
11-15-2006, 09:34 AM
never heard that before... i know a lot of people who swear by them. i personally went with the YFZ and it suits me better, but i dont thing the honda is a bad bike at all... if there wasnt the YFZ i would have gotten the TRX

bigblock10
11-15-2006, 01:00 PM
i have a 06 450r and i love it... but i think eather a trx or yzf is going to be good at the dunes.. they are just well built quads.
but i would go with the 450r :D

Grumpy Wookie
11-15-2006, 03:33 PM
I rode both the TRX and the YFZ before I purchased, and went with the TRX. In the end, the deciding factor was that the TRX had a more comfortable seat. They are both great bikes, and I love my TRX. In the sand, on the trails, no matter what I want to do, it handles it great. Stock for stock, I think the YFZ may pull a bit harder, but in the sand, you wont notice much of a difference. Who ever said that TRX's are hated may be talking from a biased state, but everyone that I have talked to loves them.

b2sandshee
11-15-2006, 04:44 PM
i got the yfz and my friend had a trx. i rode both and the trx had the hrc kit and it would keep up to mine but i still beat him with my piped yfz in the sand. my yfz jumped a lot smother than his trx. if i was to get something else id get the 07 yfz or the 07 ltr. do you trail, or do you mx some. if you do some mx and dont want to spend a lof of money in suspension get the ltr.

ugottabayou
11-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Most all my riding is actually going to be trail riding, small jumps out in the pasture, dirt road, maybe the occasional riverbed when it's dry. If I had a sport quad I'd only be on the dunes maybe once every couple months, so realistically I should not be worrying about the handling in sand as I will not be riding in it very much. I just heard the rumor, so was just kinda curious. It won't really affect my decision much.

bigblock10
11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by b2sandshee
i got the yfz and my friend had a trx. i rode both and the trx had the hrc kit and it would keep up to mine but i still beat him with my piped yfz in the sand. my yfz jumped a lot smother than his trx. if i was to get something else id get the 07 yfz or the 07 ltr. do you trail, or do you mx some. if you do some mx and dont want to spend a lof of money in suspension get the ltr.

if it was a 06 or 07 trx i am going to have to call BS on this. the 06/07 with hrc are totaly diff quards then the 04/05.. i dont think your friend knows how to drive that thing:devil:

b2sandshee
11-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by bigblock10
if it was a 06 or 07 trx i am going to have to call BS on this. the 06/07 with hrc are totaly diff quards then the 04/05.. i dont think your friend knows how to drive that thing:devil:

thats funny you say that cause i was beating him then i took his bike and dusted him on mine. so ya it was the rider but my brother is a better dragger then me and we raced and i beat him with my yfz. so its all the driver.

for you riding then you should go with the trx. the ltr is gonna be to wide, and they yfz would be good but i think the trx has more ground clearance. its you decision just get what feels right.

250r4life
11-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by bigblock10

the 06 yfz is also different then the 04-05...

b2sandshee
11-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
the 06 yfz is also different then the 04-05...

i have an 04 and he had the 06. i beat him with mine. then we switched and i beat him with his bike, when he was running mine. its all the driver.

Dune Surfer
11-20-2006, 04:15 PM
sand dunes is pretty much all I ride. I think the hit on the YFZ and lower center of gravity make it a better dune quad, If I rode trails I would consider the TRX. Both are great quads.

QuadPunk450R
12-06-2006, 08:24 PM
The only gripe I could see from the honda is that the front tends to be a lil on the light side so it may "skate" a lil in the sand but if your riding stance is right it should not be an issue. As for the R or a YFZ power is really close. I havent raced a newer one but all 04-05 YFZ with similar mods I raced its either dead even or we trade wins by a bike or so. Alot of ppl pick on or the other for brand biase cause one just feels better as your stance is a little different on both bikes.