PDA

View Full Version : ever have anything damaged from not having skids?

bigsled
11-15-2006, 05:56 AM
hello, i am thinking about chassi skid. i see everyone on here has them, but can anybody really say they have wrecked things before their skids ? i have 400ex. the oil seems like its up in the frame pretty good. and the frame itself seems pretty solid. mabey you'll get a few dents on frame but nothing major. the only thing that seems vulnerable is the oil line. my riding is state trails mostly . i'm not going off trails in the weeds and brush where i wouldnt be able to see anything . mabey the stock swingarm skid and the plastic engine skid is good enough. mabey the aftermarket companies have fooled you into thinking you need more protection. sure the stock skids are thinner but they still do the job. comments ?????????????? thanks todd

Flynbryan19
11-15-2006, 06:03 AM
You need atleast an aftermarket swingarm skid. I went for a while with out a frame skid. It just all depends on where you ride. Come take a ride out at some of the places we ride and see if you think the aftermarket companies have you fooled.:rolleyes: Area's with lots of rocks require skids. Plain and simple.;)

raven
11-15-2006, 07:38 AM
would definetly go with a swingarm skid atleast. I went without 1 and bent my rear rotor which wore my rear pads down before i got home now I have to buy those parts and a swingarm skidplate

korniev
11-16-2006, 01:10 AM
I never had skid on my bike. I ride only MX and skid seems like superfluous weight

NPelletier
11-16-2006, 04:20 AM
i dont have a full skid, but i had a nice durable one on my swingarm, id deffinitely get a swingarm skid:cool: if not u could do some serious damage, and those stock honda ones are a joke as well, those crappy plastic ones dont do crap, they wear down and break in half;)

firefighterjosh
11-16-2006, 04:59 AM
Skids are worth the money in the end. One of my friends cracked the case on his 250x hitting a rock and not having a skid

GearHeadz400ex
11-16-2006, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by raven
would definetly go with a swingarm skid atleast. I went without 1 and bent my rear rotor which wore my rear pads down before i got home now I have to buy those parts and a swingarm skidplate
same thing happened to me, now I've got a new rotor and swingarm guard in the mail... you should atleast get a swingarm guard.

gbcap
11-16-2006, 06:06 AM
any kinds of rocks....get both skids. a 75-100 belly skid is alot cheaper then replacing a case on a motor.

you have to have a s/a skid if your riding trails. sprokcets and rotors are easier then you think to bend.

wanta450
11-16-2006, 09:59 AM
obviously you havent rode in pa we swear by them thats alot better then buying a case which a rock could easily hit

Trevor
11-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I bent my rotor and broke a couple teeth off my sprocket.

11-16-2006, 11:45 AM
My 400ex swing arm skid didn't hold up. Just driving around like normal and I hit a hard frozen chunk of dirt and took a chunk out of the skid plate and bent it side ways so it bent my rotor side ways as well. Ever since i never used a rear skid I had no problems.

idontknowwhoiam
11-16-2006, 02:48 PM
its prolly different where u ride but here say if ur goin up the powerlines up the moutntain....dont even bother with out FULL skids.....mine i would say paid for them selfs 100000 times over....it dont bother be that prm and DG fooled me

blasterandy
11-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Plain and simple its your money would you rather spend 100$ now or more later. And yes it does depend on where you ride. If theres rock and clay like where i live it would be a pretty good investment. The only thing bad about S.C. is that when you go through the trails sometimes rocks and clay get stuck in between the swing arm skid. This is easly cleaned though.

quadwunner
11-18-2006, 11:18 AM
well i always ride with full skids. but when i first bought my bike i just took it for a test ride and i guess hit a big rock, cuz it bent my frame up into my case and cracked it.

GearHeadz400ex
11-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by GearHeadz400ex
same thing happened to me, now I've got a new rotor and swingarm guard in the mail... you should atleast get a swingarm guard.
Got the stuff in the mail on friday and put it on, seems it bent my rotor hub as well so that will be another purchase for me, first purchase should def be a swingarm skid if not full chassis skid, thats the next thing on my list.

firefighterjosh
11-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Dhumpalo
My 400ex swing arm skid didn't hold up. Just driving around like normal and I hit a hard frozen chunk of dirt and took a chunk out of the skid plate and bent it side ways so it bent my rotor side ways as well. Ever since i never used a rear skid I had no problems.

Imagine what would have happend of ya wouldn't have had a skid:eek:

L.Vegas400
11-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Dhumpalo

same here. since removing the rear skid i havent hit ANYTHING. and rode mountains when i took it off.

TarheelRedRider
11-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Quit being a cheap a## and protect your hard earned money that you spent to buy the quad. I have had to replace a swing arm before because I didnt have skids.

GearHeadz400ex
11-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
same here. since removing the rear skid i havent hit ANYTHING. and rode mountains when i took it off.
Your time will come and you'll be thinkin back and asking yourself "why did i take it off in the first place?"

kory
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
i also was thinking of getting a-arm skid plates and frame skid plate but didnt think it was worth the money but deffently go with a swing arm skid plat i recked my stock one and an aftermarket on i well need a new one soon there nice when those rocks come up but its all where you ride i would invest in the swing arm one so you dont wear out your chain or disc

TarheelRedRider
11-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Now a-arms skids I do think is a waste. I mean what are they protecting the whole betwean the a-arms. Save your money and buy yourself a good chest protector. Now that is worth spending the money on. Trust me three broken ribs dont feel so great. Buy a good set of boots, a cracked heel and torn ligaments dosent feel so great either.

Kaleigh
11-20-2006, 09:15 PM
the a arms plates are good for stopping stick from poking through a hitting you brake line.. and same goes for all the other skidplates.. the help.. mine saved my quad from a big rock.. would have hit the bottom of my case.. but i think its a waste of money if you are riding MX.. anything else. its great to have.. lets you slide over obsticles

L.Vegas400
11-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by GearHeadz400ex
Your time will come and you'll be thinkin back and asking yourself "why did i take it off in the first place?"

the reason i took it off is, hitting stuff with it on was tearing up my quad. a good technical rider is cautious about he/she runs over, and what he/she dodges. plus i gained and inch and a half of ground clearance. if you want a skid go for it, if not, get better at riding. im not doggin ya.

11-21-2006, 01:30 PM
your skid probably bent becaus it was a .190, not because of how low it hung...as far as being a good technical rider, i am and i still need a skid plate where i ride...

it don't matter what ya do on this trail, you hit rocks, rocks get thrown from the fron tires and hit the skidplates...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/IRXWU-trailoverthetunnel.jpg

at speed through the woods, it is sometimes hard to judge or completely miss an obstacle when coming around a blind turn for the first time...or you have no room to navigate around or safely over the object...

so l.vegas400, come ride with me and you will change your mind on needing a skid plate

idontknowwhoiam
11-21-2006, 03:22 PM
how u ride aint got nothing to do with needin skidplates...i mean its your call

L.Vegas400
11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
i would love to come up there and ride, maybe some day i will. by that time i will prolly have a skid. where i trashed mine had rocks bout twice that size but no trees, i was just tryin to get a rise out of ya. no harm intended. but i rode the same trail again with no skid and had no problems, and ya i was a lot more careful that time.

every pic ive seen from pa has just made me want to come up there more.

450RGNCC
11-22-2006, 02:30 PM
If you do not believe in skid plates, just look at someones quad who has raced an entire season of XC or harescrambles, and you will believe...

Sjorge450R
11-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by 450RGNCC
If you do not believe in skid plates, just look at someones quad who has raced an entire season of XC or harescrambles, and you will believe...

yeah tell them. We had some nasty tracks this past year up here in D-6 (RauschCreek) and if I didnt have the skids, I probaly wouldnt have made it out in one piece. The full body skid helps slide over ruts, and rocks. Def makes hitting rocks more smoother too.

heavyonthegas
11-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by TarheelRedRider
Now a-arms skids I do think is a waste. I mean what are they protecting the whole betwean the a-arms. Save your money and buy yourself a good chest protector. Now that is worth spending the money on. Trust me three broken ribs dont feel so great. Buy a good set of boots, a cracked heel and torn ligaments dosent feel so great either.

I have easily bent tie rods, wish I had some a-arm skids on.

450RGNCC
11-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
yeah tell them. We had some nasty tracks this past year up here in D-6 (RauschCreek) and if I didnt have the skids, I probaly wouldnt have made it out in one piece. The full body skid helps slide over ruts, and rocks. Def makes hitting rocks more smoother too.

Yeah, that one section at the bottom of the MX park track was like a mine field, you could hear aluminum and paint scraping off of your skids and a-arms.

TheFontMaster
11-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
the reason i took it off is, hitting stuff with it on was tearing up my quad. a good technical rider is cautious about he/she runs over, and what he/she dodges. plus i gained and inch and a half of ground clearance. if you want a skid go for it, if not, get better at riding. im not doggin ya.

LOL gained an inch and a half clearance:p I think ya were runnin some spacers in between the swingarm, and the skid plate:scary: