PDA

View Full Version : flipping your front Rims

V's
11-15-2006, 04:11 AM
Hi

I am new to this forum, so not sure if this topic has been handled prior.

I have a 05 TRX450R, I put put spacers all round and also tried flipping the front rims......get the bike wider without having to fork out the fortunes for wider A-arms......well on the flat track the bike felt briliant, but now I am concerned wot I am damaging by running this setup.

gbcap
11-15-2006, 06:49 AM
it isn't a good idea. you are putting horrible leverage on the components of your front suspension. the spacers are bad enough, but the flipped rims just magify it. i would do it only sparingly and i wouldn't do any jumps or anything with it.

your best bet is to get some budget a arms for like 300-400. it will put the proper leverage on your parts and not wear out prematurely.

V's
11-15-2006, 06:57 AM
I used to do mainly outrides, but now I want to get into the Flat Track racing scene......abs no jumps on the flat track, infact its like a car track but instead of tar its hard packed gravel. The bike felt great, was able to carry alot more speed into corners, more confidently.....but I hear you!!!

Its just that in here in SA any after market part for ATV's costs a fortune.....cheapest for a set of okay A-arms is a few thousand......so this was a cheap solution.

I seen many of the other racers do it on their Banshees and YFZ's so hence I tried it !!!!

fandl450r
11-15-2006, 07:33 AM
For flat track is should be alright, definitely not the best solution, but then again, price can always be an issue! As long as you aren't jumping it should be fine, but as gbccap said, it can cause things to wear out pre maturely.

Coolidge
11-15-2006, 10:27 AM
V, where in SA (South America?) are you?

V's
11-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Coolidge
V, where in SA (South America?) are you?

Naw dude ....... wrong continent. SA as in South Africa, Johannesburg in particular.

Coolidge
11-16-2006, 06:37 AM
My bad ;)
Thats why I like the 'net. Makes the world a much smaller place!
Welcome! :)

V's
11-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks dude .......

I envy you guys in the USA......u guyz have access to cool atv stuff at rock bottom prices........Here everything ATV related is expensive.....including the ATV. I paid R63 000 for my 450R, thats like US$9000 .....

Coolidge
11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Holy Chit! In Calif. I paid 6699.00 OTD, and I thought I paid a lot!!
How is the riding there?

400exrider707
11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I wouldnt run spacers or flipped rims for anything even flat track. It make the handling so much worse.

Also your really not supposed to flip honda rims because of the inserts they use with the acorn style lug nuts. Not very safe.

V's
11-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Well I must say riding the bike with the spacers and the flipped rims on the flat track is a dream. The bike is stable and the handling is predictable.......but I hear you......and I will be swopping them back. Unfortunately here its the size of your wallet and not your skill that determines the race leader. Single 450 class, so you got stock bikes racing against okes that imported Dustin Wimmers race bike........

@Coolidge: Riding here in SA is excellent but depends where in the country u are. There many companies that organise weekend away trail rides....but again it is expensive. The MX and Flat Track scenes are starting to take off in a big way.....as for trail riding the biggest hurdle is the cops, ATV's are not allowed on the roads, and SA police are vultures waiting to swoop on you if you so much as get close to the roads.

ATV sales made up 75% of all bike sales in SA last year.....so slowly more and more riding facilities are becoming available. Now if only the local dealers wud be more reasonable in the prices of the bikes and the accessories

Gumby46
11-17-2006, 12:51 AM
A good friend of mine that has been racing for years run spacers when riding TT with great success. Obviously A-Arms are the way to go, but so long as your staying flat I have heard of good things with spacers.