PDA

View Full Version : 250R info

clutch22
11-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey ,,, I've had a 300EX my whole life and am tired of watching other quads fly by me.... So i'm looking at buying a 250R... and was wondering about how much it costs to rebuild the motor and about how often you have to do that.

Antony250R
11-14-2006, 08:46 PM
I have an 88 250r that I owned for two years. Recently I took the head off and I was shocked that it only had a .020" oversize piston.

86 Quad R
11-14-2006, 09:15 PM
if you are mechanically inclined and can do the assembly yourself. a routine refresh can cost as lilttle as 180.00. included is the hone and/or bore job, piston kit and gasket set. if a piston fails or a lower rod or crank bearing goes you can just about double that.

typically after a fresh build and the break process is done. you'll want to do a compression check and note it. routinely take compression reading as part of the maintanance and when the compression drops at and around a 10-15 percent of your original reading you should at least consider a re-ring. this is dependant on and after a visual of the cylinder, piston and rings.

during this inspection you'll want to take the time to check the rod for up/down and side/side slack. this is also a good time to check wrist pin bearing wear.

as a side note.....

a leak down test of the system is and should be done after a fresh build and before the engine is installed for ant kind of leaks. a leak down test is also recommended in and around the time you do a routine compression check as insurance.

staying on top of the maintanance of these lil engines can and will produce many a year of dependable service. i'm crossing the threshold of 3 good years on my last build and still have the same c/r i did the day i broke it in.

:devil:

250r4life
11-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
if you are mechanically inclined and can do the assembly yourself. a routine refresh can cost as lilttle as 180.00. included is the hone and/or bore job, piston kit and gasket set. if a piston fails or a lower rod or crank bearing goes you can just about double that.

if a lower rod or crank bearing goes its going to be considerably more than double... i just rebuilt my bike from my rod bearing going, and i did all the work myself with the exception of the nikaseal...

Piston, rings, & wrist pin bearing $100
Gasket Set $ 50
Bore (lot more for nikaseal) $ 65
Seals $ 30
Main Bearings $ 45
Crank Assembly $275
(considering what it costs to buy a new rod and have it rebuilt, i dont know why you would not go with a whole new crank assembly)

im half asleep, there could be stuff im missing... thats $565, and i think i was being pretty conservative... mine wiped out my dome also, which was another $60

86 Quad R
11-15-2006, 06:04 AM
guess things are a lil bit cheaper in my nek of the woods. ;) ??

but seriously. that price is the least i could get by with on do a build. we all know that grenades have a varying degree of damage from engine to engine and prices/sources for parts and labor will vary by geographic location and alot of times has a lot to do with who ya know. so yea!! it can cost more than what i posted. infact, depending on certain grenades, can cost above the 1000.00 mark.

ever see a rod slice a cylinder through the intake? aint very dayum purdy. no matter what angle you look lmao :eek2:

clutch22
11-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the price info....
I know its gonna varry depending on how much the quad is rode and so on, but about how often do u have to routinely rebuilt them?

86 Quad R
11-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by clutch22
Thanks for the price info....
I know its gonna varry depending on how much the quad is rode and so on, but about how often do u have to routinely rebuilt them?

thats based on my previous post. assuming you are referring to the engines ofcourse :p

Creech52
11-15-2006, 12:11 PM
I have heard before a rebuild every hard season and a bore job every 2-4 rebuilds, but thats just what Ive heard. Basically its up to the numbers and visuals, I would do the comp. test and everything and probably a tear down of at least the top end every season to check things out.

iamjasyn
11-16-2006, 06:55 PM
It really depends on how modified the motor is, particularly how high the compression is and how hard you ride it. If hte intake track is well sealed and the compression is no higher than say 175, that piston will run a good lonnng while. I have an 89 in my garage with the original piston in it and it's still got strong compression. Insurance is to do piston changes frequently and bore jobs and the chances of a blow out are almost eliminated. It's not as sensitive to high revs as a 4stroke, but if you're not pushing it past peak hp much you'll get a long life from the top end.

clutch22
11-16-2006, 07:48 PM
So i just got off the phone with a guy who is selling an 86 R .... When i asked about the frame, he said that it had been reenforced.... If this was done right, should i be worried about it?

Kirt13
11-16-2006, 07:56 PM
If you mean that the frame was reinforced by being gusseted that's good. Try and have him send you a pic of the "reinforcements". Did he buy the gusset kit or make up one himself? Is who ever did the welding an experienced welder? Need to ask him these questions.
Later!!

deathman53
11-19-2006, 10:01 AM
there is a fine line to reinforcing a frame. Too stiff and your frame will crack more and worse, the wrong parts and it will crack in sections not expected. too little and the wrong spots and it will be very flexxy and endup cracking on you again.
I have 2 88 frames that have been done. One I bought from the guy, he rode it hard and broke 2 swingers on it(frame has no cracks). Another one I had him do. He has 3 86 frames that he done. He broke 3 swingers on it, his wifes broke 2 swingers and he has another one sitting as a spare.