PDA

View Full Version : CRF Cam Question

AtvKid4Eva
11-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Alright guys well i was thinking about getting a cam for my 05 450 and i was wondering how the stock CRF cams compare to the others and where the gains are at with them ive heard a lot of people running them..Also are the crf cams the same as a HRC cam? Any help would be great thanks.

pudamac12
11-14-2006, 08:03 PM
i run the 02 crf cam in my 04 450r and it is amazing. I love the way it pulls everywhere. it has a real strong low and mid and a pretty decent top end too.

DirtDevilBT
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Depends on what year.

04-06 CRF is the 06 HRC- all around midrange
02 CRf is the bottom -midrange cam

I used to have the CRF and I kind of miss it now. I have the HotCam Stg2 with my piston now, I kind liked the CRf with my piston.

jeepnrocks
11-14-2006, 08:52 PM
I thought the 04-05-06 crf was more low mid. and 02 was more mid high oriented?

trost66
11-14-2006, 11:22 PM
I have a 02 and it was a huge improvement on the bottom to mid. I love it

AtvKid4Eva
11-15-2006, 04:30 AM
Yeah im pretty sure thats the year ive heard of people running is the 02...

AtvKid4Eva
11-15-2006, 04:32 AM
also does the 02 crf cam just drop in ? and you just adjust the valves?

trost66
11-15-2006, 06:42 AM
yes it is just a drop in cam. You might want to adjust the valve while you have it about or atleast check them

fandl450r
11-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
also does the 02 crf cam just drop in ? and you just adjust the valves?

Yea, just drop in, but I would definitely check valve clearances, and more than likely you will need to adjust shim sizes.

ghott
11-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Yea, just drop in, but I would definitely check valve clearances, and more than likely you will need to adjust shim sizes.

Perfect fandl450r.

Always check your valve clearances when adding a new cam. I would recommend the Hot Cams Shim Kit. You can get it for around $70 shipped, and you'll have every shim size you'll ever need, and won't need to make any trips to the dealer :).

pudamac12
11-15-2006, 09:20 AM
yeah i have both a 02 and a 05 crf cam. the 05 makes great power but falls off extremely fast and has no top end whatsoever. the 02 makes great power everywhere and doesn't fall off at all, at least with my current build i don't feel it fall off.

AtvKid4Eva
11-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Im hearing a lot of peopl say the Hotcams Stage II is the best all around..anyone know how they compare to the crf?

ghott
11-15-2006, 10:11 AM
In an 04/05 machine, the 02' CRF cam makes great power in the bottom and midrange, but leave a lot to be desired on top.

The Hot Cams Stage 2 makes great power all over, and keeps on pulling where the CRF Cam starts slouching. The Stage 2 pulls up until about 8750 RPMS, then begins to drop off a bit.

AtvKid4Eva
11-15-2006, 10:18 AM
ur a lot of help...ok and do you know how the stage 2 compares to the HRC? thanks again man.

ghott
11-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Yes I do.

The 04/05 HRC Cam is a great top end cam. Great for sand duners especially that like to bounce off the limiter constantly.

The Hot Cams Stage 2 makes much more power than the HRC Cam from 0-8500 RPMs. Then, as the HCS2 starts to fall off, the HRC steps in with a great topend over rev, and out pulls the HCS2 from 8500-9850 RPMS (Limiter).

I have dyno graphs if you'd like to see this as well.

DirtDevilBT
11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ghott
In an 04/05 machine, the 02' CRF cam makes great power in the bottom and midrange, but leave a lot to be desired on top.

The Hot Cams Stage 2 makes great power all over, and keeps on pulling where the CRF Cam starts slouching. The Stage 2 pulls up until about 8750 RPMS, then begins to drop off a bit.
I'd have to disaggree bud. The CRF still felt good on top. The hotcam 2 will out pull the crf on top but not by a whole lot. The CRF feels sooooo much better in bottom end. It just hits harder when you jab the throttle, even in the midrange. I had the CRF in my bike with the current piston I'm running, I actually miss it a little and might get the 02crf again. I'm not digging the hotcam 2 in there right now, feels sluggish until you are actually moving. IMO only because I have had both cams with the exactly same set up, nothing changed between the two.

ghott
11-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
I'd have to disaggree bud. The CRF still felt good on top. The hotcam 2 will out pull the crf on top but not by a whole lot. The CRF feels sooooo much better in bottom end. It just hits harder when you jab the throttle, even in the midrange. I had the CRF in my bike with the current piston I'm running, I actually miss it a little and might get the 02crf again. I'm not digging the hotcam 2 in there right now, feels sluggish until you are actually moving. IMO only because I have had both cams with the exactly same set up, nothing changed between the two.

With any mod, its build specific.

I'll put some graphs up. Most are courtesy of Brian @ WPP Racing.

1st graph. Megacylce X2 Cam vs. 02 CRF Cam

ghott
11-15-2006, 01:10 PM
2nd graph, exact same build...

Megacylce X2 vs. Hot Cams Stage 2

ghott
11-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Hot Cams Stage 2 vs. 04/05 HRC Cam

chad502ex
11-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Ghott your posting is WAY OFF....

1. your third 'trimmed' down dyno pull showing that a HC1 beats up a 02 crf LOL!

2. the computer software flow cam comparisons on WPP build was just a comparison using his porting and not to be used to demonstrate an equal gain for "ANY"other 450R machines.

3. a 'mixxer' 480cc 'ported' engine being conveyed as what a HC2 and HRC would react on a 450cc 'unported' build... not likely...

Please man.... :rolleyes:

DirtDevilBT
11-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Anyway, it was just my opinion since I've actually had both and ran them both on the same set up. I've read dyno graph after graph. Any engine builder who also races their own engines will tell you it's not all about dyno power, sometimes they can be missleading. Just thought I should share my real experience, I don't run rpms for power, I let the motor build them, that might be where people get the difference. I've riden my CRF and someones HCS2 equiped bike, both only had slip-ons and filters, and I wasn't all that impressed.

I think the guy I sold my crf to got a great deal. I shouldn't have sold it so quickly. :ermm:

ghott
11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
Ghott your posting is WAY OFF....

1. your third 'trimmed' down dyno pull showing that a HC1 beats up a 02 crf LOL!

2. the computer software flow cam comparisons on WPP build was just a comparison using his porting and not to be used to demonstrate an equal gain for "ANY"other 450R machines.

3. a 'mixxer' 480cc 'ported' engine being conveyed as what a HC2 and HRC would react on a 450cc 'unported' build... not likely...

Please man.... :rolleyes:

Do you disagree that the graphs show what these cams will do power wise, in comparison to other cams in any build? NOT HP wise, but just line curves alone.

The trend I've seen, is that these drop in cam's act a lot alike in most mild builds, and even some big bores. I'm not talking about the Huge Web's, Johnsons, and etc.

Do you disagree that even a comparison of a HCS2 and 04/05 HRC would act differently on an unported 450cc build? Would a HCS2 make less bottom end than an HRC Cam? I'm not going by the HP number shown, just by the way the lines illustrate the differences between the two.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes w/ a mixxer graph...I will get rid of it :).

And the HCS2 + HCS1 + 02 CRF was just for fun...I doubt it is even legit. I think someone tried to merge all the graphs from Hot Cam's website together or something.

How about a calm explanation without getting chitty?

ky300ex
11-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
Anyway, it was just my opinion since I've actually had both and ran them both on the same set up. I've read dyno graph after graph. Any engine builder who also races their own engines will tell you it's not all about dyno power, sometimes they can be missleading. Just thought I should share my real experience, I don't run rpms for power, I let the motor build them, that might be where people get the difference. I've riden my CRF and someones HCS2 equiped bike, both only had slip-ons and filters, and I wasn't all that impressed.

I think the guy I sold my crf to got a great deal. I shouldn't have sold it so quickly. :ermm:

Dirtdevilbt...that was a great deal for the cam.That thing made a NICE improvement to the bottom end!Just what i was looking for.

I can't really compare how the 02 CRF cam performs against the hotcams stage 1 or 2,but it does make nice power from low to midrange.The only other cammed 450r that i've ridden was 06 450r(mine is an 04) with the hrc cam,so i can't really compare the two.

DirtDevilBT
11-15-2006, 06:48 PM
^^^ I know where you live!:mad: :devil:

Nah, I'm still playing with this one, I might get a degree gear or a different cam. I need some more hours on it. :D