PDA

View Full Version : Good place for head work?

BossmanEX
11-14-2006, 04:35 PM
I took my head to the Honda shop and they quoted me $318 + tax for 4 new valves and the labor to insall them. I say bulls**t! I can put the valves in myself for just the cost of parts but I would rather have it worked by a pro and have some performance work done. Maybe a 3 angle valve job and have it ported. Is there a site favorite for head work or does everyone just use local machinists?

Colby@C&DRacing
11-14-2006, 04:40 PM
is that you taking off the head if so :eek2: the valves are $30 each valve seals $5 valve job $65

BossmanEX
11-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah! I already pulled the head. they quoted me $45 a piece for 2 of the valves and $40 a piece for the other 2 and $65/hour for 2 1/2 hours labor. They told me that the guides and seals are fine. I cant see paying that kind of money for a simple job. The valves are a bit hammered and need to be replace but I figured If I was going to have it done I would have a bit of performance work done to it too. Especially at the price they want to charge me.

eganracing
11-14-2006, 09:12 PM
i use a local speed shop but u could probaly send it to a company like DASA or something like that but i dont think there very cheap.

blown331
11-15-2006, 08:20 AM
I will be posting results of my porting/valve job as soon as I find a decent price on a stock head.

I have a valve cutting machine and a seat cutter so I can basically do an infinite amount of cuts on the seat. I'll post up some results as soon as this is complete (and pics of course)

BossmanEX
11-15-2006, 12:11 PM
So Do I understand correctly that you have the tools to do this work? If so PM me the results (when you et them) and, if you are willing to do it, a price. I really want the extra work done but Ive never built an atv head so Id rather have someone else that has to do the work for me.