PDA

View Full Version : 250x valve clearance

250x Ron
11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
my valves need ajusting there ticking can someone tell me the proper clearance and is it easy to get to the valves or do I have to remove a bunch of stuff thanks Ron

Kickstarts-suck
11-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by 250x Ron
my valves need ajusting there ticking can someone tell me the proper clearance and is it easy to get to the valves or do I have to remove a bunch of stuff thanks Ron

All you have to do is pull off the valve covers to get to them.

Proper clearance is 0.004" intake and exhaust.

Make sure the feeler gauge isn't to tight between the rocker arms and the valves though,just a little friction between them.

Kurly154
11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I know you have to remove the front plastic, then the gas tank, then the covers that cover the valves. The valve clearance for the intake and exhaust should be 0.10 mm or 0.004 in. Hope I helped.

bwamos
11-15-2006, 07:38 AM
What they said. 0.004" intake and exhaust with a stock cam & valves.

250x Ron
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Oh great thanks ppl. Hey Kickstart I asked a question about the carb. last week and you answered it but I just wanted to make sure i under stood the answer now the two hoses coming of the carb are over flow now do they get conected to each other or just flow out like a breather hose thanks Ron

Sjorge450R
11-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by 250x Ron
Oh great thanks ppl. Hey Kickstart I asked a question about the carb. last week and you answered it but I just wanted to make sure i under stood the answer now the two hoses coming of the carb are over flow now do they get conected to each other or just flow out like a breather hose thanks Ron

they just get looped down throught the loops on the frame. They dont get mounted together.

250X_project
11-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Also if you still have the tick after the first thing to try should be the cam chain tensioner.
I'm not sure how much you know or not so....After you take the valve covers off turn over the engine slowly until both sets of rocker arms have play THAN you can adjust the valves. ;)

Sjorge450R
11-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 250X_project
Also if you still have the tick after the first thing to try should be the cam chain tensioner.
I'm not sure how much you know or not so....After you take the valve covers off turn over the engine slowly until both sets of rocker arms have play THAN you can adjust the valves. ;)

ha....... thats not what you do...

pull the two plugs from the left crankcase cover, then stick a 17mm socket in the bigger hole and then turn the fly wheel until the T mark on the flywheel lines up on the groove in the little hole. Then try wiggling the rockers. if they dont move you are on the TDE. (top dead exhaust stroke) turn the flywheel all the way around 360 degrees until the T and the groove line up again, then move the rockers. They should wiggle. then you are set to start adjusting your valves.

dunny_mark
11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
make sure your engine is cold!! Ya'll forgot that little important step!!

250x Ron
11-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Thank you ppl

Sjorge450R
11-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by dunny_mark
make sure your engine is cold!! Ya'll forgot that little important step!!

haha yea. You may also have to drain the oil too. Im not sure. I have always done this with the oil drained so I couldnt tell you, but a oil change never hurt a quad.....lol

250X_project
11-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Sjorge300EX- I don't appreciate being made fun of. Everyone does things different. I personally, just don't take the plugs out. What difference does it make anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as the rockers have play the lobes are not touching them, so they are free to be adjusted. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine, as it's worked for me many times.

I treat people with respect on this forum and expect the same in return so next time think before you post.

Sjorge450R
11-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Sjorge300EX- I don't appreciate being made fun of. Everyone does things different. I personally, just don't take the plugs out. What difference does it make anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as the rockers have play the lobes are not touching them, so they are free to be adjusted. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine, as it's worked for me many times.

I treat people with respect on this forum and expect the same in return so next time think before you post.

sorry, I didnt mean to offend you. As many people know on here that I dont make fun of people. I just dont want the kid to just start adjusting his valves wrong and hurt the motor. Again, I didnt mean to offend you.

bwamos
11-17-2006, 05:59 AM

The only problem with doing it that way is if you dont have experience with the motors and the valves were excessivly loose.. you could have free play on a portion of the cam that has a tiny amount of rise in it giving you excessive play at top dead center.

250X_project
11-17-2006, 08:14 AM
I accept the apology, and I definitely see where you are coming from. I see where that could make problems too, but if you had play w/ the engine on the intake or ex. stroke it shouldn't run at all.