PDA

View Full Version : 426 with a hotcam 2

GoLikeHell
09-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Hi Guys,
I have been driving my 400 now for a year and its time to get some more power out of it. I am thinking about going to a 426 (im an old mopar fan) pand a hotcam 2. Does anyone else have this combo, and can you tell me how much more power you got out of it. Plus compression ratios, what is everyone running? Race gas is plentifull all year round here so it doesnt bother me.

Your opinions really mean alot to me!

Thanks in advance!

Plus anyone know a good shop for boring in Metro Detroit?

Mark

VegasEx'r
09-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Don't know about the 426, but the 416 w/ stage 2 works well, so I would imagine that the 426 would as well. If you don't mind paying the price of race fuel, go w/ 12 or 13:1. I run 11:1 w/ 6 degrees of advance, and only ping at the dunes, so I run race there & pump everywhere else.

09-11-2002, 08:17 PM
I run 11:1 w/ 6 degrees of advance, and only ping at the dunes, so I run race there & pump everywhere else.

Just curious if you have done a comp test or measured the cc's of that 416. I am trying to see where the 11:1 piston ends up comp wise.

thnx

lil400exman
09-12-2002, 08:37 AM
i reccomend not to go higher than a 440 stay below cause my buddy had a 440 and it vibreated to much so he got a 426 and buil that thing and i think curtis sparks or one of them and it kills n e 440 out there!:macho

krazykurtk
09-12-2002, 09:17 AM
I've ridden a 426 (JE, not sure what compression), XR400 cam, 39mm FCR, Curtis Sparks complete exhaust quad. Unbeleiveable difference from a my stock motor with WB E-series & jet kit. I'm building mine this winter.

09-12-2002, 09:26 AM
it vibreated to much so he got a 426 and buil that thing and i think curtis sparks or one of them and it kills n e 440 out there! Lilman dont let that confuse you more than what you said does to everyone else.

Unbeleiveable difference from a my stock motor with WB E-series & jet kit. Think about the other mods you listed on the one you rode, now you had better get those also or you may be dissapointed.

If you put a higher comp piston, freer flowing exhaust, fcr carb and a decent cam (something larger than the xr) in your stock bore you would see a great diff also. Dont be afraid to bore it though since there is no replacement for displacement.

BadA$$440
09-12-2002, 11:31 AM
me and my friend hae a 400 with the same stuf done( same pipe. filter, jet kit etc. ) an he just put an IMS 440 kit in and he smokes me. He also has 18" ( really like 16 or 17" s ) Fast trekker in the rear and he still beats me. And i use to beat him all the time before the 440 kit. I got the weisco 440 kit ( not installed it ) and i getting the hot cams stage 2 with a FCR 39mm crb and some port and polish if i have the money.

out4sand
09-12-2002, 05:53 PM
I put a somewhat custom 426 kit in our 400ex (11:1 compression) with an XR400 cam. When we first did a compression check before everything had seated I want to say it was at 198lbs. The work made a huge difference over stock. Not only was it faster but in the sand I could climb hills that I would have never made when it was stock with just the bolt on goodies. I'm not good with percentages but I will say for sure that you will notice a HUGE difference. Everyone that has ridden the bike makes a comment about how it runs. I think you'll be more then happy with the combo. I added the FCR carb a couple months after doing the motor work and it's an expensive investment but it certainly is a noticeable difference as well and a nice topper to the work.

This a picture of me climbing choke cherry at St. Anthony's this summer

out4sand
09-12-2002, 05:56 PM
And here I am just at the top. I was the only 400ex that made it that day. Not to say that others might not make it but the 4 that did try only made it about half way. Choke Cherry a grrrrrrrrrreat hill!

GoLikeHell
09-12-2002, 05:57 PM
thanks for all the fast replies!!

I am thinking about getting a 11-1 comp stock bore piston and a hotcam 2for right now. The 426 im going to do in the spring for some summer fun!!

If anyone else has done this please give me your thougths

Mark

09-12-2002, 10:48 PM
You will be happy with the change and save a ton of dough.

It wount be as fast as the other set up (especially with the FCR) but will wake that 400 up real fast. Also do some of the other cheaper mods like removing the welds in the head pipe or getting a pipe etc.

HAve fun since the higher comp will improve the bottom end and the cam will bring up the mid-top.

Dave400ex
09-13-2002, 08:31 AM
440EX4me, Here`s what I was thinking about doing. TC 425 Piston Kit which will be a Wiseco 10.5:1 unless I can talk him into a JE Piston. A TC XC Cam, he says you don`t need Valve Springs or Rockers, but I want to get Valve Springs to be safe. Then I will get the TC Oversized Head Studs. That`s all for now, but in a year or so I may get a 39mm FCR, but TC likes the stock carb best for low end. Plus I`m not sure on Jetting and don`t want a FCR where I have to jet all the time because I`m not sure how. That a good setup for now, 425 Piston, Cam, Valve Springs, and Oversized Head Studs?

BadA$$440
09-13-2002, 09:24 AM
Im getting what you just said but instead a 440 kit

VegasEx'r
09-13-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

Just curious if you have done a comp test or measured the cc's of that 416. I am trying to see where the 11:1 piston ends up comp wise.

thnx

No I haven't. My guess is that it is around 10.6-10.8. I am using a Cometic base gasket & xr400 head gasket and those look to be the thinnest gaskets around. I will be taking the head off in a couple of weeks to port & polish it, so I will probably check it once I put it back together.

09-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Warriorman that sounds like a plan but I dont know if I would bother with the heavier studs at 10.5:1. I have no experience with the FCR but have heard good things about them.

Bad*****440 Im getting what you just said but instead a 440 kit That sounds like a bigger plan:p

I will be taking the head off in a couple of weeks to port & polish it, so I will probably check it once I put it back together. Same here and remember to udate us on your findings either the cc's or mech comp with the guage.

The reason I am so interested in the comp is cause this is what really makes the diff and also what makes the quad go (comp = torque) and also what I believe is the biggest problem with most of the 440's.

Dave400ex
09-13-2002, 04:59 PM
I can`t wait to get that done. It should be ripping stuff up. I don`t think I will get the Carb for a while. I`ll wait until I think I need more Power again.

GoLikeHell
09-13-2002, 08:05 PM
Thanks again for all the great replies!!!

I have one more question, I picked up my parts today 11-1 comp piston and a hotcam2. The cam says to check for piston to valve clearance when using high comp pistons. My question is has anyone had a prob with this cam? or has it been a drop in?

Thanks
Mark

09-17-2002, 04:23 PM
I have the stage1 not 2 and its supposed to have more lift than the stage2 so I dont think your gonna have any problems, but its allways good to be safe and check it before you run it.

A lot will depend on the piston design also. Is it a flat or domed top? Also you will eat up some clearance if you run the thinner head gasket.