PDA

View Full Version : 400ex engine build up, 460? With complete quad makeover.

WeTDrEaM
11-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Reciently bought a 2001 400 ex for $600.00. Quad is running and driving, has a few cosmetic issues :ermm: but starts and runs great.

Over the winter here I'm going to strip it down to nothing and start from scratch. I've done this many times with classic cars, dirt bikes, snowmobiles but this is my first quad. I plan or making this thing as bad a** as possible but still to be a trail/mx pump gas machine.

Have been looking into the 460 stroker setups but am unsure with whos parts to go with. Piston, sleeve, head porting, valves, rod kit or complete crank assy? Different haed studs to cure the head gasket issue? I'm the kind of guy that don't mind spending a few extra bucks to have it right the first time.

I figure I could get some input on whats workin out there and what people are having problems with. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danee

lil p
11-14-2006, 10:10 PM
well as you can see in my sig i know what im talking bout with the stroker.everything i went with is doing great. pivot works bearings, hot rods crank and rod, je piston, port(just get a trustworthy machanic to do it),over sized titanium racing valves, heavy duty clutches. ok now with the gasket issue, most people hear gasket and scream hd head studs BUT, no matter how strong your studs are it doesnt change the fact that they are screwed into alluminum. in other words, enough compression and they'll pull right trough. now to fix this problem get someone to install steel inserts into your head. works like a dream. hope i helped.

coolguy8769
11-14-2006, 10:34 PM
ITS SLOW!!!

WeTDrEaM
11-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Have you ever has you quad dynoed? What kind of Hp are you pushin? I would like to run high oct pump fuel for trail/mx

oldskoolex400
11-15-2006, 08:54 AM
coolguy8769 ITS SLOW!!!

haha i was thinkin the same thing

lil p
11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
no i havent dynoed it but i plan to. are you calling my 400 slow? why do people have to say some sh#t like that. if i wanted your oppinion on my 4-wheeler i would have asked. i dont find it very amusing. i've put a lot of work in my bike. if you werent calling it slow sorry for the missunderstanding.