PDA

View Full Version : Leakdown test/tester

86 Quad R
11-14-2006, 01:45 PM
the question has been asked or come up quite often recently. HOW to do a leak down test or HOW to make a tester? so i thought i would post a sticky (not sure how to do that. so here's a post)on the subject.

you'll need to borrow or make your own tester such as this one....

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy213/86-Quad-R/Leak%20Down%20Tester/IM000597.jpg

to make one you'll need:

1. a blood pressure bulb- can be gotten at most any drug store

2. a small brass nipple- can be gotten at local auto parts store. it is to be threaded into either the end or the side of the pvc cap.

3. a low pressure gage- can be gotten at local weld/tool supply. it is to be threaded into the pvc cap aswell.

4. a short stick of pvc pipe(that'll fit the intake boot) and a cap(to be glued onto the pvc pipe.

5. a peice of hose (3/16 to 5/16" will do)

process: (although the following instructions are based one a totally sealed engine, it can be performed on a bench build prior to installation of the stator and clutch covers.

the tester clamps into your intake boot and allows you to test the whole system.

you'll need to make a gasket that'll clamp between the exhaust flang and engine. my favorate is to use an inner tube from a bicycle.

as a rule of thumb, pump the system up (no more than 10 psi's and allow to set for at least 10 minutes.

during this time you spay the external engine with a soap/water mix to check for leaks(any leak will bubble up like a foam). this includes the crank case vent tube aswell.

ideally you want the psi's to remain constant for the 10 minutes but a pound per minute is acceptable but not to exceed 5 lbs.

wykyd z400
11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Great post!! Very informative!! ;)

kiesta00
11-14-2006, 08:41 PM
sticky this badboy

kgordon7378
11-14-2006, 10:58 PM
just to clarify, the exhaust port should be plugged. your example is with a inner tube. I have heard of using other things, but that sounds easier and cleaner. Also, plug in tight. Also, if you are loosing pressure, the soapy water is great to locate.

GPracer2500
10-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Here's the one I made. Found everything at HomeDept.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/PB160036.jpg

trx250rider
10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
ive been wondering how to do this...do you have to plug the crank case vent tube also?

86 Quad R
10-23-2008, 01:07 PM
nope.

i personally like to do the leakdown test with both side covers removed. this allows you to detect any crank seal leaks easier but if you elect to leave the covers on you'll need to use the crank case vent as a means to detect the clutch side for leaks. make sense?

norcalduner
10-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Also dont forget to block off the vent line on the powervalve assembly if so equipped. Here's a pic of the exhaust flange block off I use which fits perfect.

250r__Ice
10-24-2008, 04:50 PM
For the exhaust and intake I use big rubber type freeze plugs. You can get them in diffrent sizes. They have a nut on them so when you tighen it up the plug expands and makes a good leak proof seal. You can get them at most truck or automotive stores. I use a brass fiting and teflon for the plug hole and I hook up a set of old refrigeration gauges I have to it. This works good for me, but if you have to make a gauge setup the one above would be a lot cheaper.

250rPRIDE
01-09-2010, 10:57 AM
a sticky of this would be great.. really good info, i cant wait to make one for my build next month...

jcs003
01-09-2010, 02:34 PM
STICKY...