PDA

View Full Version : Who's ridden an ATC in the dunes? (new purchase)

GPracer2500
11-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Just picked this up this morning. It's an 85' ATC250R--Paul Turner HighRev pipe, PJ flatslide, +4 Durablue axle, +2 swinger. Haven't gotten my compression tester on it yet but seems to run strong. Can you say wheelies?? Needs some TLC and a few smallish things but it should be a runner. Feels and sounds healthy.

I got it to compliment my 95' CR250R for dune riding (the 400EX went by-by a few weeks ago). A YFZ is what I really want, but that will have to wait for next season.

So, who's ridden an ATC in the dunes (ISDRA)? What's it like? I'm pretty well versed on dune riding with 2 and 4 wheels but never tried 3.

I just unloaded it out of my truck in these pictures, so I haven't touched it yet....

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8512/pb140014mr8.jpg

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/2163/pb140016wm3.jpg

flying dutchman
11-14-2006, 01:18 PM
seems like your grabbar is upside down.
but that thing looks like new:)

iamjasyn
11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Yea your grab bar is upside down... Looks nice though. I like the red seat. I haven't duned a 3wheeler in YEARS, but theyr'e fun. They're more likely to scare you by tipping and running your foot over when you put it down to keep from tipping. Jumping is sketchy because if you land crooked you're going to feel it. If you like to go fast high revving 2strokes are more fun in the dunes (and much cheaper) than the YFZ or 450R (in my opinion). They rev up faster to get the sand moving. If it's well tuned with basic mods you'll beat the 4's on hill climbs too.

GPracer2500
11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks fellas....yeah, flipping the grab bar back was the first thing I did. Looked funny upsidedown like that. I'm looking for a PRM grabber....

It doesn't look quite as nice in person as it does in the pics--you can tell she's more than 20 years old. Still though, she's in pretty good shape.

Suspension needs sorting first. Probably a shock rebuild and definitely fork seals/oil are in order. Front wheel bearings are shot. The engine's pumping 205+psi cold at ~1300ft (shaved head??) and it sounds tight so there's no issues there (hopefully).

deathman53
11-14-2006, 03:57 PM
that motor needs race gas with that high compression. I never had any problems jumping my trikes, I guess its the riders???? I mx mine. I don't know if you know, but the oppsite down grab bar was a old racers thing, it makes them easier pick up with it like that. You will see alot of trikes like that.

GPracer2500
11-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
...I don't know if you know, but the oppsite down grab bar was a old racers thing, it makes them easier pick up with it like that. You will see alot of trikes like that.

I didn't know that. But now that you mention it, that makes sense. Looks goofy, but the lower postion is better for muscleing it around.

250r4life
11-14-2006, 07:04 PM
an 85 250r that had been ported pretty good with a big carb and other goodies is what i learned clutch on and what i learned to ride at the dunes on

Tom TRX250R
11-15-2006, 12:10 AM
I personally think the dunes are the best place for a 3 wheeler. My buddys have a CLEAN 86 ATC 250R and I ride it almost as much as the TRX just because it is such a blast in the dunes. The traction is unbelievable especially with no front end weight and Hauler paddle tires. You will have the time of your life on that!! I always break it out on Saturday to drag race it to show the 4 strokes and Banshees whats up!!:devil:

Scott-300ex
11-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeh man, that looks real clean.

And thats another main reason I got a 250r. Becuz I ride a lot of sand and if you want power or roost, or pick the front end up, there is NOTHING like 2 stroke power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iamjasyn
11-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I never had any problems jumping my trikes, I guess its the riders????

Definitely! I'd come off some dune face and my landing on the left and front wheel would squeeze every muscle in my body. haha

You guys are making want one of these three wheelers again... dammit...