PDA

View Full Version : scratched up plastic

red4ever
11-14-2006, 12:14 PM
my plastic is covered in scratches and scrapes of every shape and size. the deep ones i know will never come out but is there any way to get rid of the smaller ones without new plastic? also my decals are starting to come off and my little honda stickers are already gone. i think the quad looks better without them but my plastic faded around my decals. is there anything i can put on my plastic to give it that right off the showroom floor color that i miss so much? if theres not then is there any way to make the spots where the decals used to be fade like the rest?

Hondabeefast
11-14-2006, 12:27 PM
you can try this stuff
http://www.partsforatvs.com/default.asp?p=537&c=356&cn=Z400

bwamos
11-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Plastic renew is a pain, and it's crap..

Just clean her off, and wipe her down with some Mop&Glow. It's a polymer that will fill in the small scuffs to make it shiny again.

You jsut reapply it after you wash it and it dries.

Plastic renew will just scuff up again in 1 ride. Not worth the 15hrs of work to get it looking right. And it doesn't even look as good as a simple application of Mop&Glow.

Hondabeefast
11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
ok,i have never used it and was just trying to give some help

DAVE14
11-16-2006, 10:09 PM
after I clean mine I use armor all on the plastic if I want that shiny wet unscratched up look ,dont get it on the seat though it will be slick , never tried mop & glo but armorall works great

red4ever
11-18-2006, 09:02 AM
ok now what about my plastic fading around the decals? i want the decals off so...

bigbadbubba
11-18-2006, 11:52 AM
SIMPLE green it then whipe dry , then eagle one car wax, then whipe dry.

atvRiDa400ex
11-18-2006, 06:35 PM
well i finally used just the armoral spray...and that ShiZZle works amazingly

gotwarrior
12-01-2006, 06:58 AM
armorall will work, but when you wash it the shin is gone..

But if you have buffer you can put a wool pad on it and buff it on a really slow speed with a good compond it will make it shine too.
But be careful not to burn the plastic.

Ron89
12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
I used turtle wax polishing compound I believe ( its at advance auto parts) and an orbital buffer. Put a shine like no other back on my brother's fender. But like gotwarrior said, be careful not to burn the plastic. Buffing one area for a few seconds is enough to build up a nice mountain of melted plastic and then it looks terrible. I learned that the hard way :o .

ATC250rChick
12-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Wet sanding works great. You can start with 220 then 320 for the deep scratches. Make sure you keep the plastic and paper wet. Make sure you sand in one direction the entire time. Then move to 400 grit. Then go to 600. Once your plastic looks good, go to 2000 grit to "buff" it. This is where you want to go in all directions, buffing with the wet paper. Finish it up with a compound. 3m fine cut rubbing compound works very well. Do this a few times, keep buffing. This is time consuming, but the results you get are worth it. Works good on most colors but I didn't have very good luck on black plastics.