PDA

View Full Version : carb help

honderlover
11-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey everyone. Just got my first fourwheeler a 2002 400ex with 50 hrs on it. It's bone stock and totally mint except I'm having trouble with bogging. The guy I bought it from had it sitting in his garage for 2 years. He sent it to a local shop for a total tuneup before selling it to me. the carb was all gummed up apparently and he paid them about 350 for the work they did. I never trust those places so I took the carb off and found thqt the shop had cleaned it but the little brass pipe that squirts gas from accel. pump was totally clogged, no fuel coming from the pump at all. I cleaned it and checked all the other areas but after putting it back on it still bogs around half throttle or a little below. The problem is intermittent but really beginning to piss me off. I wana ride my new machine!! Any suggestions?

vze2hnvz
11-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Did you blow out the orifice's with compressed air? The best tool I have used for cleaning a carb is called "Berryman's Chem-Dip" carb/parts cleaner. Comes in a 1 gallon paint can with a tray that lowers into the solvent. Very stong stuff, will strip a carb of anything in about 20-30 minutes. Usually can be found at your local auto parts store. Just take care with any rubber parts (o-rings/gaskets). If the carb was properly tuned/jetted at the shop, and it indeed is a carb issue, I'd be willing to bet it's still clogged somewhere. Take it all apart- float bowl, float, slow jet, main jet, accelerator pump, fuel screw and soak it for about 20 min. in that stuff. Then wash it all in some warm soapy water, blow out all jets/orifices, let it dry, put it back together and you should be fine. Also note the size of your main and slow jet while its apart. To give you an idea what your running with any mods. Stock should be 148 main and 38 pilot. Let me know how it works out.

400eXr1d3rZ
11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
It sounds like the jets are clogged.

AZ_TRX400EX
11-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Make sure they emptied and cleaned out the gas tank after they cleaned the carb. If the gas sits for awhile in the tank it gets pretty nasty and probably ruined all the work that they did. Even if they emptied it, there might have been thick deposits on the walls of the tank.:ermm:

2004exrider
11-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Check to make sure the choke isnt still on and that your main jet didnt fall out.

Jimmy