PDA

View Full Version : RAD Bearing carrier

fireburns99
11-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Does anyone have any experience with these, or there locking nuts? I'm looking for a new carrier,a nd this seems affordable. Thanks for the help.

86 Quad R
11-13-2006, 01:18 PM
havent ran the lock nut but i have ran the same bearing carrier for years without any problems.

wishmasstir
11-13-2006, 01:19 PM
i had the carrier and so do some of the guys i ride with. we all like the external grease fittings the best i think. aside from that, its the same as any other bearing carrier...get the tapered one though. the lock nuts are okay, no problems there but its no anti-fade

norcalduner
11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
i recently purchased and installed their dual row with a new lonestar axle and it was a very tight fit. i had to hammer the axle in several times. not sure tho if any other guys in here have had similar issues with it.

fireburns99
11-14-2006, 11:22 AM
I'll be running a stock axle :( so maybe it will fit in easier.

86 Quad R
11-14-2006, 11:42 AM
any of them are designed with tite *** tolerances. even my ole type II i had to smack the end of the axle with a mini sledge with a 2x4 as a cushion. :D

Colby@C&DRacing
11-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Rad makes a nice product. I have ran the tapered carrier in a 400ex for years. The nice thing about the rad carriers is the replacement bearings and seals are inexpensive compared to other companies at $70-$90. The lock nut works well for the price.

86 Quad R
11-14-2006, 12:36 PM
not to hi-jack a thread but, is there any place to get the stock style lock/jamb nut assembly and threaded collar?

fireburns99
11-17-2006, 08:22 PM
ok i got the bearing carrier in today, but it says that i need to pack all the bearings by hand prior to installation...According to their instructions i shouldn't remove the seals... I am not sure if they are referring to the black seals at the each side, or the seals on the bearings, since they appear to be sealed bearings. If i can't remove the outer dust seals how do you remove the bearings... And another thing, i thought that sealed bearings were not supposed to be packed...

So my question is how do you remove the bearings if they need to be packed with grease??

fireburns99
11-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Nevermind, i guess it helps to read the FAQ's on their website:
3. Can you tell me more about greasing this carrier?

Our carriers have a grease fitting which will allow grease to flow to the bearings on both sides. Fill the carrier until you see grease oozing out of both sides. Then use your finger to smear some grease between the bearing and the seal.

This is a much better explanation than the one that comes with the carriers.