PDA

View Full Version : need help fast changin oil on truck

HiperEX
11-13-2006, 10:22 AM
well im trying to change my oil in my truck 92 chevy 1500 and i cant get the darn oil filter off i tried the clamp then went and bought a differnt style clamp and tried just jabbin a screwdriver through and still cant get the darn thing off any ideas the space is so small to get and hands up there, you would thing it would just come off if it was tightend by hand:mad:

11-13-2006, 10:43 AM
sounds like someone didnt oil the rubber before they put it on last :ermm: what I would do if I was you is shove a screwdriver into the oil filter and twist it off like that.

HiperEX
11-13-2006, 10:55 AM
i did oil the rubber last time i changed and already tried the screwdriver trick

11-13-2006, 10:56 AM
damn dude, if the screw driver trick didnt work I dont know what will. did the metal tear when you did the trick or will it just not move?

HiperEX
11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
i first used the tool that slips over and then u pull its tightens but that just crushed the filter in i tried doin that in as many spots as i could and still no budge, the screw driver trick just ripped as well i dunno what to do, ill just have to try a big channel lock or sumthing:confused:

parkers30
11-13-2006, 11:27 AM
well... if it wasn't already destroyed I was going to say get the proper oil filter socket to fit.... now I would just say get out the channel locks

coolex
11-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
well... if it wasn't already destroyed I was going to say get the proper oil filter socket to fit.... now I would just say get out the channel locks

oil filter socket?

wishmasstir
11-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by coolex
oil filter socket?

yeah, you can actually buy a socket to fit an oil filter. it has the exact contour of the end of the filter...make sure you get the right one though.

hiperex - the channel locks should do it. is it 2wd??? cause they are pretty easy to get too.

parkers30
11-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by coolex
oil filter socket?

its the only way to change the filter on some cars, they are too cramped and you can't get a strap wrench on them.

Its basically just a big stamped socket designed for an oil filter and a 3/8" ratchet

yellowzo3
11-13-2006, 01:01 PM
i have the same year truck and mines 4wd. its going to be tough to get some channel locks in there and get some decent leverage. what type of filter were you using? i was going to say to make sure you didnt overtighten it but it seems that you tightened it by hand so i dont see why its stuck. you may want to get a high quality oil filter wrench...the cheap ones bend and break and will only make it that much harder to get the filter out.

HiperEX
11-13-2006, 01:12 PM
this is a 4wd model and i belive there was some garbage from walmart when they didnt have any fram filters, if the channel lock doesnt work, it looks like the filter part comes off with a few bolts and removing the oil lines but more work then i want to do all i want to do is change the oil ..lol

sly400ex
11-13-2006, 01:16 PM
I think there should only be two bolts holding the oil adapter to the bloock, maybe take them out and drop it down:confused:

wishmasstir
11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
if its such a pain to change your filter from the location of it, do yourself a favor and buy an oil filter relocation kit from summit

Rastus
11-13-2006, 02:07 PM
If I have a problem with an Oil filter, I usually just push up/pull down on the end of the filter until it bends the filter alittle. This'll usually loosen it up enough so you can twist it off. It's not the best method, but it has worked for me every time.

Speaking of junk, I HOPE you're not going to put a Fram oil filter on it. :ermm:

MOFO
11-13-2006, 03:02 PM
This may sound stupid, but are you sure you are turning it the correct way? Using the screwdriver trick should have given you enough power to twist it off....

SGA
11-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
This may sound stupid, but are you sure you are turning it the correct way? Using the screwdriver trick should have given you enough power to twist it off....

haha! Lefty loosy righty tighty:D

MOFO
11-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by SGA
haha! Lefty loosy righty tighty:D

Yes, but it depends on your orientation... some times it requires "reverse" thinking. :D

HiperEX
11-13-2006, 04:09 PM
i am going the right way i will have atter tomarrow and show you how f'ed up the filter is :mad:

LTZ400rider
11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
try tappin it with a hammer to loosen it up

brian-250
11-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
try tappin it with a hammer to loosen it up

That will just destroy it even worse.

Try the screwdriver trick again, if theres enough of it left, and work it back and fourth to see of it will break loose.;)

LTZ400rider
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
tap it dont smash it

bulkdriverlp
11-13-2006, 06:52 PM
ha ha goin the wrong way, if he was he wouldnt admit it on here.

ok, if the screwdriver trick didnt work, get the metal band clamp with the ratchet like somebody else said, because its so mangled you might have to slide something like soup cans or something for the clamp to get a hold of to fill the space. try to get a long flathead screwdriver in there and tap the edge and try to get it loose. the hammer thing is a good idea, little taps should shock it enough to break it loose. theres no way it was put on hand-tight with oil on the seal and not wanting to come off now. your only supposed to use one hand when tightning.

Quad18star
11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MOFO

It's amazing how easily you can get confused when looking at soemthing upside-down . I've found myself forcing on bolts like a SOB , only to realize I was turning the wrong way . DOH !!!!

firefighterjosh
11-13-2006, 10:12 PM
I always put mine on hand tight but sometimes I must be super man and can not get it off. I use channel locks if it becomes a pain.

When all else fails use a tourch and heat it up.;)

JJ do not do that

JForestZ34
11-14-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I always put mine on hand tight but sometimes I must be super man and can not get it off. I use channel locks if it becomes a pain.

When all else fails use a tourch and heat it up.;)

JJ do not do that

I wouldn't use a torch on an oil filter, oil burns too. Also I hope you wouldn't be using a oxy/ acyadylne torch. You don't want to get that near oil especally the oxygen part. It could blow up. What I would do is put the oil filter wrench the metal or rubber strap kind and put it all the way down the filter to where it meets with the oil filter adapter. All the way down to where the seam is on the oil filter. Try turning it down there. When the filter is on that tight and the screwdriver option doesn't work this is probably the only way to get it off. You have a very little chance of damaging the filter at the seam just because that is the strongest part of the filter. Hope this helps..

James

forty
11-14-2006, 07:41 AM
When you do finally get it off, be careful when you throw it across the yard in a fit of rage as the screw driver efforts left sharp jagged edges. I had to get stitches because of that on time. the worse part was that I still needed to put on the new filter and put in oil before I could drive to the hospital.

firefighterjosh
11-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
I wouldn't use a torch on an oil filter, oil burns too. Also I hope you wouldn't be using a oxy/ acyadylne torch. You don't want to get that near oil especally the oxygen part. It could blow up. What I would do is put the oil filter wrench the metal or rubber strap kind and put it all the way down the filter to where it meets with the oil filter adapter. All the way down to where the seam is on the oil filter. Try turning it down there. When the filter is on that tight and the screwdriver option doesn't work this is probably the only way to get it off. You have a very little chance of damaging the filter at the seam just because that is the strongest part of the filter. Hope this helps..

James

If you look at the bottom of my post it said "JJ do not do that" LOL:p

SGA
11-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Well I would hope you would have it off by now. Whats the scoop on it?

SGA
11-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey man did you get the filter off?

LTZ400rider
11-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Another thing that kinda gets to me.
Here on the forums someone makes a thread needing help with something, Computer prob, engine not running right, etc.

Alot of people go out of their way to help and offer suggestions, then the poster never replies back if they got it fixed or what happened.
Im sure they got it fixed or they would still be looking for help, but it sure is nice when they reply back "Thanks everyone, it was the such and such and we got it going"

:devil:

Pvt. Maggot
11-21-2006, 12:54 PM
I've never had trouble getting an oil filter off, I have both strap and socket style tools though, but I bet 10 to one you turned the wrong way and got it a little to snug hah, trust me, we've all done it, when your upside down under something its easy to get confused hah. I can't tell you how many bolts i've broken thinking I was turning them the right way but just not paying attention hah. Hope you got it off without too much hassle.

DieselBoy
11-21-2006, 01:30 PM
trying to think of a solution but it doesnt look like you have many options since the filter is mangled... you should have been able to loosen it with the screw driver, but if that did not work man it must be damn tight... if you have a pair of those huge circular vice grips put them on snug and tap in tighten direction, and then in loosen direction, not hard, you dont want to brake the nozzle, if that doesn't work I don't know that its going to be an easy one... thats all i can think of. depends how much room there is in there and it does not sound like there is much.

i always just snug the filter up just a bit and its never come loose, or over tightened... some people tighten them right up and i just shake my head cause when they go to take it off they will struggle with it like no other!

11-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
I've never had trouble getting an oil filter off, I have both strap and socket style tools though, but I bet 10 to one you turned the wrong way and got it a little to snug hah, trust me, we've all done it, when your upside down under something its easy to get confused hah. I can't tell you how many bolts i've broken thinking I was turning them the right way but just not paying attention hah. Hope you got it off without too much hassle. i hate you so much its rediculous

Which 450?
11-22-2006, 04:11 AM
strap wrench on an extension