PDA

View Full Version : please help

lost boyz
11-13-2006, 08:09 AM
ok i have a 2000 400ex

my question is
yestreday we went riding it the trails..i just put rear brakes on my 400 like a month ago...
we were riding for a while and out of nowhere the rear brake started to grind....
i looked at the brakes and the brake pad broke off...ripped into my rotor....

my question is should the rear rotor have a little play from side to side...
the rotor brake brace and nut all has a little play in it....

is this normall
i dont want to pay top dollar for a nother rotor and have this happen again...

so should the rear rotor have a little play its not much but it does move side to side and so does the nut and rear caliper brace...
just wanted to see if this is normall and why would the brake pad brake off within a month and within that month i only rode it 6 times....

thanks for any help...

Chin_Chilla
11-13-2006, 08:35 AM
I just put new brake pads yesterday and I noticed my rotor was tight. So I'm thinking they are all supposed to be tight. Why would you want slack in it anyway?

Chin_Chilla
11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Also you said the brake pad broke off and got lodged in your rotor? There is literally no way it should rip into the rotor, there is no room in the caliper housing where the pads go for them to be able to turn sideways and lodge themselves in the rotor. I'm thinking the only way that happened (brake pad got lodged in the rotor) is you took off the wore out pads, installed the new pads, and forgot to ease them back towards the rotor. That would have left room inbetween the pads and the rotor for them to maybe dislodge off the 2 bolts holding them and cause them to lodge into the rotor. But if you did ease the pads to the rotor then I don't see the pads lodging into the rotor. I could be wrong, someone fill me in.

bansheemorphine
11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
if you tighten your locknut up then the rotor shouldn't have anyplay in it your rotor shouldn't move really

lost boyz
11-13-2006, 09:03 AM
what i meant by loding into the rotor maybe you misunderstood what i meant...

the pad its self ripped off the metal piece that bolts inside the calpier..

meaning no pad it ripped off but the metal was there...

it grinded right into the rotor ripping the rotor apart....

so the rotor shouldnt have no movement in it at all....

it does move a little from side to side maybe the nut needs to be tighten...because that moves a little to.....

ImplodedMindZ
11-13-2006, 09:10 AM
I would say tighten ur axle nut up a lil. Mine has a very slight bit of movement not much at all though.

Was the brake pad pretty worn down when u pulled it out of the rotor. If it was shreaded was the one that didnt get pulled apart pretty worn. I dont know how your pad was attatched to the pad but sometimes when they get really worn the rivets holding the pad on will start to come apart if its low enough to rub on those as well. and in turn the pad will start to rip apart.

lost boyz
11-13-2006, 10:44 AM
yeah they where new pads put on a month ago rode only 6 times
the pad on the left side went right to the metal to the rivets dont understand why the pad part ripped off the metal part of the brake...

and the right side looked brand new....

maybe it was a defect brake pad??? i dont know

but they were brand new only 6 rides out of them..
but the left went right to the rivets and destoyed the rotor...

i need a new rotor for the rear now....