PDA

View Full Version : Can I run +1 forward arms with a stock swinger??

NacsMXer
11-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Like the title says ^^^. I understand this will transfer more weight to the rear tires, but will this adversely affect my 400's handling and balance in any way? Thanks for your input.

gojk
11-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Like the title says ^^^. I understand this will transfer more weight to the rear tires, but will this adversely affect my 400's handling and balance in any way? Thanks for your input.

I run +1 forwards with a stock length swinger and I didn't notice much from stock except the feeling of the quad being wider because I am running +3+1s. I don't think that you will notice the diff.

NacsMXer
11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah i've been doing some searching on this and i've gotten mixed opinions on it. From your own experience, the quad doesn't handle or jump differently at all? Thanks I got a lead on some killer A-arms but I just found out they are +3+1. I'm running a stock length swinger so I need to know if this is gonna mess with the quad's balance. Thanks.

11-13-2006, 07:46 AM
I have +3,up1 A-arms on the stock swinger and it seems to ride like it did b4.

Only things that will happen is it will weally a little easier and might push more in the turns.

gojk
11-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Yeah i've been doing some searching on this and i've gotten mixed opinions on it. From your own experience, the quad doesn't handle or jump differently at all? Thanks I got a lead on some killer A-arms but I just found out they are +3+1. I'm running a stock length swinger so I need to know if this is gonna mess with the quad's balance. Thanks.

I say buy them. You won't notice a diff.

NacsMXer
11-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by gojk
I say buy them. You won't notice a diff.

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience, this is good news for me :) I have like a once in a lifetime deal lined up but it just killed me when I found out they were +1 forward :ermm: This is what I wanted to hear.

I'm still open to other people's experiences with this setup, thanks

ThePhantomRider
11-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I have ridden stock, +1front and +1 front +1.25 rear.

I was at +3 wider as well...

With just the front the quad was more stable, but the front end will push a bit more because the weight bias has changed. While moving things an inch forward it puts more weight over the rear tires which causes the push with less weight over the front. To me it was manageable, but I didn't really get it till I added the +1.25 swinger which did 2 things, one it gave better turning than stock as a tiny bit more weight was over the front, and 2 it allowed the front to not wheelie as much...it's subtle, but when I went back to a stocker with the +1 front it was really different.

Again if it is a good deal, the push can be managed, but if you got +0 forward I'd go that route.

TPR

NacsMXer
11-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
I have ridden stock, +1front and +1 front +1.25 rear.

I was at +3 wider as well...

With just the front the quad was more stable, but the front end will push a bit more because the weight bias has changed. While moving things an inch forward it puts more weight over the rear tires which causes the push with less weight over the front. To me it was manageable, but I didn't really get it till I added the +1.25 swinger which did 2 things, one it gave better turning than stock as a tiny bit more weight was over the front, and 2 it allowed the front to not wheelie as much...it's subtle, but when I went back to a stocker with the +1 front it was really different.

Again if it is a good deal, the push can be managed, but if you got +0 forward I'd go that route.

TPR

Thanks for sharing..
So tell me, is this push in the front end like a fair amount compared to a stock setup with 0 forward or is it pretty noticable? Will I get annoyed with dealing with this push in the front end over time or is it so negligible that I will hardly notice?

You are saying that the +1.25 swingarm puts a tiny bit more weight over the front but mainly helps to keep the front end down correct? I don't have problems with wheelying due to my ZPS shocks, the suspension just soaks up most of the wheelie so I basically have to try to keep my front end in the air if I wanted to.

Also, the way I understand it, the +1 forward arms will shift the weight bias to the rear tires only under acceleration while on the GROUND and won't cause my quad to pitch nose-high in the air right?

Thanks for answering my questions :)

4TraxRider
11-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I had a great deal on +3 +1 arms for a Z400 a few years ago, not a 400ex, but the symptoms should be about the same I'm thinking. When i put them on I did notice it felt like I had an older set of tires. The front would kinda take an extra half second to bite into a corner and not feel as planted. After a month or so i got used to it. I'd say go for them if they are a good deal, you'll get used to them really fast. What are you doing about shocks?

NacsMXer
11-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
I had a great deal on +3 +1 arms for a Z400 a few years ago, not a 400ex, but the symptoms should be about the same I'm thinking. When i put them on I did notice it felt like I had an older set of tires. The front would kinda take an extra half second to bite into a corner and not feel as planted. After a month or so i got used to it. I'd say go for them if they are a good deal, you'll get used to them really fast. What are you doing about shocks?

Ok thanks, it seems like what everyone is describing is, there IS a difference when coming off of a different setup, but the diference is so small that I will just get used to it in time and not even notice anymore.

The front end i'm getting is LT so I will be in the market for a set of used 19.5" LT shocks for the next few months. Regardless of what I get, they will be revalved for my new setup :)

rooster300ex
11-14-2006, 07:08 AM
I bet if you didn't know they were +3+1's you woudn't even have noticed it. I sit so close to the front of my seat I didn't even notice it.

ThePhantomRider
11-14-2006, 08:51 AM
I didn't notice any real difference when jumping, you're right the main change in weight bias is under acceleration which is actually a good thing since you are able to get more power to the ground. As for a light front end, it was wierd, but even though more weight is over the rear the front didn't seem any lighter.

I will say that it is a thing you can get used to, like rooster said, you'll just find yourself getting over the tank a bit more and using a bit more body lean to get the desired result, which, if you ever go longer in the rear will really get you cornering great.

I come from a background of 3-wheelers which obvoiusly pushed real bad, so those with any seat time on one will attest it really helps your control when you are riding a quad....more body english is a good thing!!!

TPR

svahle
11-14-2006, 09:13 AM
I've got +2+1 a-arms. I don't really notice a difference. I am sure others may notice a slight change in handling but IMHO this is more of an academic discussion versus a practical discussion.

Just buy them if it is such a good deal. If you don't like them you could resell for a profit and use the intial investment plus the profit realized from the resale to buy a-arms that aren't forward.

I'll bet you will adjust to the a-arms with only minimal riding. In fact, if you don't have +3 already the biggest adjustment will be trying to fit the 48 to 50 inch wide quad into a 47 1/2" gap.

Just my $.02

NacsMXer
11-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy me these LOBO 2's :cool:

I really appreciate everyone's opinions and personal experiences with these front ends, I could not have made the decision without them since I have never ridden a forward arm setup before ;)

I agree with you guys that I am probably starting to just think too much about it at this point.

Since I am away at school, every summer, I always find myself getting used to riding my quad again since I get next to no ride time during the school year. I am sure that getting used to my quad with a new LT front end will be no different.

I'll be sure to post pics after I send em to Pappy's for a little bling :D

Thanks again

Ihateguys
11-14-2006, 10:30 AM
If the front is pushing to much all you have to do is put more sag in the front and it will turn better.

fultz416ex
11-15-2006, 09:55 AM
i had +3+1 a-arms with a stock swinger and the only thing that i noticed was on bigger jumps, when i would check my back brake, the front-end wouldn't come down as fast as it did with my +2+0 a-arms. hope this helps.

travis