PDA

View Full Version : Heat fix for plastics?

rcclark03
09-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Has anyone used a torch or heat gun to make their plastics shiny again?
I am thinking about sanding with a fine grit paper, then using a heat gun, any thoughts or advice?
Thanks

DantheEXman
09-11-2002, 05:09 PM
i used a torch to het big scratches out of my plastic, and i notices it looked shiny too, u will see it get shiney waile u heat it.BUTTT LET ME WARN U, DO NOT. I REPEAT DO NOT LEAVE THE HEAT ON TOO LONG OR ELSE U WILL BE VERRRY UNHAPPY. i did it in one spot and i started to look like a map with little lines going all over. and it will cave in on u too. So just keep ur hand under the plastic and if it gets hott, move to a different area. and remember to hold the torch about 6 inches away. You get the idea. My plastic was red if that helps. i dunno what yellow will do. but mine hasnt faded yet.

rcclark03
09-13-2002, 03:49 PM
I sanded some areas with a really fine grit sand paper, then went at it with the heat gun. It was working out sweet, making it all shiny again...
Then I got to close to a crack that I had epoxyed up, heated around the crack, and warped the F*** out of my fender (not to mention opening up the crack again)!
I guess I was due after 3 rolls, an endo, and rear-ending somebody, not to mention 6 years of riding through brush, sand, etc...
Oh well, time for some shiny new Maiers!!
Rocky mountain atv is my new hero!

Thanks anyway Dan