PDA

View Full Version : Updated Breather Mod

ghott
11-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Stole this idea from buck and 450RRR (mod at org).

Decided to go with 2 separate breathers. 1 coming directly off the valve cover and back to the airbox. And 1 coming directly out of the crankcase and back to the airbox.

All new 1/2" inner diameter vacuum hose for the setup... $.78/foot at Lowes (a little fruity..I know...its pink), two 90* fittings $.66/each at Lowes, 4-pack of hose clamps $1.88 at Wal-Mart, and two K&N breather filters $9.99/each at Advance or Autozone.

No more "Breather-T."

Several pictures to follow......

ghott
11-12-2006, 05:13 PM
pic2

exrider44
11-12-2006, 05:15 PM
What does this do? I never seen it before

ghott
11-12-2006, 05:16 PM
PIC3

ghott
11-12-2006, 05:16 PM
PIC4

ghott
11-12-2006, 05:17 PM
LAST PIC

ghott
11-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by exrider44
What does this do? I never seen it before

Not sure quite yet. Most say it makes the bike rev a whole lot quicker. I haven't ridden it yet with this modificaiton installed. I did this last night...and it rained all day today...so no testing yet.

Airik79mx
11-12-2006, 05:26 PM
waste of time...just route it down with the carb hoses like a crf

ghott
11-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I put them in the airbox to keep them clean.

I really wouldn't be happy with dirt or debrees possibly entering my engine thru these hoses.

Thanks for "contributing" to my post :rolleyes:.

buck naked-r
11-12-2006, 05:47 PM
looks good.............the auto-zone around here sells those filter for $20....thats why i got one.

Sjorge450R
11-12-2006, 05:52 PM
whats wrong with the stock one?

eganracing
11-12-2006, 10:29 PM
did u put a spliter or something on it so u could have two filters or r there actually two breather tubes?

Gumby46
11-13-2006, 03:05 AM
waste of time...just route it down with the carb hoses like a crf
If it is a waste of time why did Honda decide to filter it by pressing it up against the stock filter inside the airbox instead of "just route it down with the carb hoses like a crf" ???

whats wrong with the stock one?
Nothing at all.

did u put a spliter or something on it so u could have two filters or r there actually two breather tubes?
It would be 2 separate hoses, one from the case and the other from the head cover.

WhiteZee
11-13-2006, 05:43 AM
theres been several times i have gotten water in my tranny from the stock hoses and connectors, this is something i may look into doing.

chad502ex
11-13-2006, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Gumby46
If it is a waste of time why did Honda decide to filter it by pressing it up against the stock filter inside the airbox instead of "just route it down with the carb hoses like a crf" ???

main reason is to use the engine to demonstrate an effort to pull in any unburned gasses for emission purposes...

this tube not only reduces crankcase pressure, but also is part of the engine emissions too.

Gumby46
11-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
main reason is to use the engine to demonstrate an effort to pull in any unburned gasses for emission purposes...

this tube not only reduces crankcase pressure, but also is part of the engine emissions too.

;) I completely understand why, I was just using it as a rhetorical question towards the person suggesting that filtration of some kind is a "waste."

buck naked-r
11-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
theres been several times i have gotten water in my tranny from the stock hoses and connectors, this is something i may look into doing.

i have my tranny line in there also,but no filter on it

buck naked-r
11-13-2006, 07:56 AM
i also made the tranny line bigger......i may get a smaller filter later for it.

ghott
11-13-2006, 10:24 AM
...Sheesh...this thread has a lot of people's panties in a bunch...

eganracing
11-13-2006, 04:07 PM
can u show how u routed the blue line?

ghott
11-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
can u show how u routed the blue line?

Are you referring to the line which is filtered by the blue filter?

If so, refer to the 3rd and 4th pictures I posted.

The line comes off the crankcase breather, which is where the Breather T WAS, runs over the frame, and back along the right side of the airbox (if you are standing behind the quad).

eganracing
11-13-2006, 05:39 PM
i understand where the red tube is going and breathing but what does the blue line vent? i might be completly confused or something but if u could please explain a little more i would appreciate it.

ghott
11-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Alrighty here goes...

Both of the hoses I used are a reddish pink color. The filters I used, which are ONLY in the airbox are Red and Blue.

Here is how the plumbing WAS (STOCK). A vent line came from a fitting on the valve cover (top of the engine), and went down into the "Breather T." A small line came up from the crank case, which is behind/under the carb, and into the Breather T. Then, a vent line vented off of the Breather T, and went into the airbox, and stuck into the airfilter. So the "T" fitting was formed by 3 lines, the valve cover breather line, the crank case breather line, and the vent line that let air vent into the air filter in the airbox.

My current Modified plumbing is as follows:

I have a red/pink 1/2" ID HOSE running from the valve cover, straight back to the airbox and into the RED filter on the left side (if you are sitting on the quad). I don't have a good picture of this, as it can only be seen in detail when I have the tank, plastic shroud, and rear plastics off.

I have a red/pink 1/2" ID HOSE running from the crank case breather (which is very close to where the "T" WAS) back along the left side (if you are sitting on the quad) into a BLUE filter.

So to recap. All the HOSE that I ran is a reddish pink color. One filter I used is RED, One filter I used is BLUE. The BLUE filter is for the Crank Case, the RED filter is for the Valve Cover.

That just about the best I can explain it.

If you need further instruction, please let me know what you are unclear on, and I will try to elaborate further.

ghott
11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
edit...sorry for dbl post.

eganracing
11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
ok i get it now. for some reason i thought the blue filter had a blue line leading to it through the box. thanx for taking the time to explain it. im gunna have to look at how everything is run on my bike again.

ghott
11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
ok i get it now. for some reason i thought the blue filter had a blue line leading to it through the box. thanx for taking the time to explain it. im gunna have to look at how everything is run on my bike again.

No problem at all.

I wish I would have taken the time to take pictures of the setup while I had my rear plastics, gas tank, and tank/heat shroud all off. You could've seen everything.

Too bad I didn't think to take pictures of it the following day :(.

baker250r
11-13-2006, 08:31 PM
what are the benefits of this MOD?

ghott
11-14-2006, 07:23 AM
1. Cleaner

2. Relocates the breather so that its not putting hot, oily air into the air filter.

3. Faster Revving (haven't really tested it out, but thats what most people say)

eganracing
11-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ghott
No problem at all.

I wish I would have taken the time to take pictures of the setup while I had my rear plastics, gas tank, and tank/heat shroud all off. You could've seen everything.

Too bad I didn't think to take pictures of it the following day :(.

i was looking at my bike today and was able to see how u came up with two lines. i might have to modify my curent one filter setup.