PDA

View Full Version : axle lock nuts

killed300ex
11-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Wondering if anyone had bought an axle nut off ebay. I know they are a knockoff brand but the price is much more reasonable. Here is a link to what I want

axle nut (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/400ex-300ex-locking-fade-nut-250r-axle-RAD-350X-lock_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43974QQihZ007QQite mZ170048567939QQrdZ1)

Thanks
Evan

killed300ex
11-12-2006, 07:08 AM
cant seem to get the link to work the item number on ebay is 220046226747
Thanks
Evan

9mdad
11-12-2006, 09:05 AM
I bought one off ebay. Not this vender though. I/we from day one had problems with axle nuts. My sons 250 RX had a antifade that always came a loose. I tried a new factory nut set up, that still came loose. Then I read a post about wheelbearing wear might be the cause. I replaced the wheel bearings and that helped but the sprocket and disc. hub still could be moved after a short bit of hard riding. I found a new axle axecaliber, with sprocket hub and I bought a low hour disc.brake hub that was snug on the new axle. This helped more but still had to keep an eye on everything because things still got a little loose. The stock nut and jamb nut always stayed locked to each other but would turn as a pair slightly on the threaded sleeve. I determined this by marking sleeve and both nuts with a sharpie marker. The last thing I tried was the Rad lock nut and it has worked the best. Things still get a little loose but I only have to tweek it about once each week. This is with 2 hard motocrosses and 4 or 5 hard practices at Rausch Creek MX park.
The point I was making in this lengthy post to your question is that the Rad loc nut is a good investment and they are not knock offs. They have been around a while. Just a different type of nut, but check all the parts associated with your rear axle to make sure all is not worn or nothing will keep tight. (That is if loosen is the issue)
One note. Rad nut is large. I had to modify my largest adjustable wrench to turn it. I dosen't require a big wrench. In fact the recomended torque specs. are low. Large channel loc type plyers will work but I didn't want to put teeth marks in the fine looking nut.
Good luck, John

9mdad
11-12-2006, 09:09 AM
I just read my reply. Only have to tweek the nut once a month not once a week. (I need a proof reader)

Aceman
11-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I also have a Rad and it works well.

jrm03
11-12-2006, 07:26 PM
The knockoff (simple in design as with the RAD) are an absolute must with the axle locknut. I have the RAD nut and it is by far one of the best pieces of equipment that I have put on my bike.

killed300ex
11-13-2006, 04:10 AM
nice to hear it has worked well. I went ahead and bought one cant wait to get it and be done with the stock axle nut.
Thanks
Evan

raven
11-13-2006, 08:00 AM
was looking at rads lock nut almost bought it few times but wasnt sure , do u use your splined sleve from old lock nut or rad nut complete system I would prefer to buy all new I was looking at durablues 3 piece lock nut you get everything from rocky mountain for same price rad is asking for what appears to be just the lock nut? anyone use durablue locknut and is Rad total package or do you have to use your old pieces????

jrm03
11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
you utilize the threaded sleeve and the stock axle clip and ditch the rest with the RAD. It is very effective.