PDA

View Full Version : Clutch and Thumb Thottle are Really Hard! How do I Loosen?

395Rider
11-12-2006, 12:31 AM
I just ran the Elsinore Grand Prix and tired my hands out due to my stock suspension, tight thumb throttle, and the clutch hand lever.

How do you loosen the hand lever so it is easier to pull in?

Is there a way to loosen the thumb throttle?

Are there new clutches or thumb throttles on the market that are easier to work with?

4TraxRider
11-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Get new cables, or lube the ones you have.

11-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Get new cables, or lube the ones you have.

+1.

I also got an ASV aftermarket clutch lever, that has a smoother pull than the stocker. Higher quality pivot point.

Also, given how many times the clutch lever is pulled, the pivot point will wear and cause drag.

Basically, what you are doing is trying to remove drag by lubing teh cables and replacing the clutch lever.

Mine's butter smooth now, and the only resistance is from teh clutch springs.

CoDean45
11-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I'd start off with replacing the cables. Considering it'll cost right around 20 bucks to change both. That's your cheapest option. Then if the clutch is still hard to pull, consider purchasing an easy pull. There around 35 bucks and will make a huge difference in the resistance. If the thumb throttle is still to hard after replacing the cable, try cutting a couple of coils off of the slide spring inside the carb. I did both of these to my 250r and I can ride all day without fatigue. I used to have to take a break and let my thumb rest after riding for a while, not anymore.

395Rider
11-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the Great Tips! These tips will help my riding in the Adelanto Grand Prix. Thanks a lot!