PDA

View Full Version : Stock 400ex rear radial in a 4-ply??

canadian400ex
10-16-2001, 09:39 PM
I have never seen a rear tire hook up as good as the stockers, I'm just wondering if they come in a 4 or 6 ply version?!?!......Or what other tires hook up like the stockers for straight-line traction? (hill-climbing)..besides paddles of course.

Wheelie
10-16-2001, 10:09 PM
How about a 31x14.50 Super Swamper Bogger?

10-16-2001, 10:49 PM
I also liked the performance of the stock Ohtsus, I also tried holeshots xc- great tires for the $, holeshot mx- great for the track- and maxxis razors, the Maxxis may be a little more to your liking, come in different plys and are pretty tough tires, they also hook up better then the stockers. They hook up good but have not run any other tires so can't say there the best. As for the stockers, I don't think they have different plys but they might?

Lil90man!!
10-17-2001, 04:29 AM
alot of the guys on 400's around here say they just love maxxis's all-traks i have ridden a few with those tires and they REALLY hook up in just about anything, and there a really aggressive tread but on a 400 they can actually powerslide them if they need to and i know there a thicker ply tire to, not sure what thickness

canadian400ex
10-17-2001, 02:19 PM
As far as razors go, they don't hook like a stocker in a straight-line. My buddy has new razors on his 400 and I out-climb him easily with my radials that are probably about 70%. I race moto-x too, so I would like to get a second set of rims and possibly razors/holeshots or tamers. But as far as pit-riding goes, I have yet to see anything hook-up and climb like the stockers...except the raptors' radials.

trx400ex
10-17-2001, 03:22 PM
i prefer holeshots over razrs, i think razrs dont clean as well and the front tires are always searching for traction on our loose mx tracks and our tt track,,,, but the on another one of our mx tracks that is 90% hard pack clay the do fine except when it gets slick...holeshot all the way

canadian400ex
10-20-2001, 09:01 AM
C'mon, whats your favourite hill-climbing tire boyz?

WB400ex
10-20-2001, 10:48 PM
paddles

Guy400
10-21-2001, 06:53 AM
Realtors for just hillclimbing. As long as your hillclimbing or accelerating in a straightline these tires are great. For other aspects of trailriding they're not that good.

Are you looking for 4-ply stockers for better puncture resistance? If so, you may want to look into the Dunlop radials that are on the Raptor and Z400. They've got almost identical tread patterns and are much better against puncturing. Seems like the Ohtsu's don't like sharp stuff all that much. From what I've seen and read they pop a little easier.

Tommy 17
10-21-2001, 08:49 AM
my holeshot xcs were a good tire they didn't wear out fast. the turf tamers 4 ply 18x11x8 i have are the best tire for traction that i have owned. i have the grooved every other tread is taking out. it hooks up well and they are cheap. the only problem is they wear out fast but u can buy 2 of them for the price of one set of xcs.

canadian400ex
10-21-2001, 01:35 PM
The reason I was looking for a 4-ply stocker is because I do all kinds of riding and when we are in the sand pits, it seems the stock 400 and stock raptor tires are the best for hill-climbing. I want a 4-ply version so I wouldn't get the side-wall roll quite as bad. Over all I'm am really pleased with the radials.