PDA

View Full Version : typhoon 90

450rutmaker
11-11-2006, 09:18 AM
I am thinking about a typhoon 90 for my son. He currently rides a Kasea 90. My other son has a dinli 70 both quads slightly modified. We need a backup and I found a typhoon 90 for a pretty good price. Give me some input on this quad Ive done alot of reading and am still 50/50.

Thanks
Daniel-+

Spider 171
11-11-2006, 10:37 AM
We have a 125, and nothing but Problems, only a tank and a half of Gas. I don't know if I am the only one but ours is waiting for fixes. I would love to hear if anyone else is in the same boat? Or if I just got a Lemon!

Look it over and see the Pro's and Con's Before considering. Check the tolerences of parts compared to other manufactures, anyone can bolt a machine together, but to make it work, and fit properly is another!

Spider 171
11-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Look at the Plastic footpegs, that broke off ours, Safety Concern?
Look at the steering shaft, up and down, side to side play, and the bushings fall out, Safety Concern?
Heel guards fall off, Safety Concern?
Change allen head bolt out of steering shaft to regular bolt Safety Concern?
Swing-Arm bolt won't stay tight, loosens, lots of play, Maybe Safety Concern?
Just the little things, shifting is notchy, Clutch slips, Frame loop isn't complete Motor is part of Frame? Need to replace upper rear motor bolt, a size too small so you need to drill out motor mount and replace with larger one.
Just a few things to think about and should be known before you buy one! I wouldn't be saying this if they would have addressed these issues when they came up but they haven't so now I will let the truth be known!

YZ120
11-11-2006, 08:13 PM
my dealer addressed all the issues you have stated without having the problems arrive pryor.
i am very happy with our 125,much better than the predator 90 we sold.
we have been riding rough desert trails,moto etc.
the only problem which i feel isnt a concern with a 100# kid on board is the clutch. it slips when i`m on it 225# but not when my son is. it also can be adjusted to where it wont slip at all.

i feel it could be better but for the price and 1st year model you cant go wrong:)

quadinfamily
11-19-2006, 05:58 AM
I would wait a year hopeful they have all the bugs work out, if they want to stay in business .

quadfamily
11-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Next person to bash on spider will get banned I promise. His post is very relevant even if it is a 125 vs. a 90 because it is his experience with the same manufacturer with close to the same bikes. His thughts and facts were very well organized so unless you have something just as intelligent to say I suggest not saying anything.................

wrhracing
11-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 450rutmaker
I am thinking about a typhoon 90 for my son. He currently rides a Kasea 90. My other son has a dinli 70 both quads slightly modified. We need a backup and I found a typhoon 90 for a pretty good price. Give me some input on this quad Ive done alot of reading and am still 50/50.

Thanks
Daniel-+

450 Rutmaker,
I would buy a used one knowing the rear sub frame has been or will be braced. And the frame has been tied together if it will be aggressively jumped.
The 90's are not as responsive as the 125's , The head needs substantial porting on both, and I believe the gearbox is a taller ratio than the 125. So a external gearing change could be rewarding.
The initial container of 70's and 90's had large carbureators on them, I have replaced some of these for improved responsiveness.
There has recently been a Christmas pricing blowout on XTREME TYPHOONS. So negotiations may be available on "NEW" pricing.
So brand new and properly set up may be less expensive than used. I have seen prices as low as 1450.00 for 125's to 1250.00 on the 70's. Current available 125's is minimal, but 90cc Typhoons are still available new from a Dealer near you.

wrhracing
11-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Thanks
Daniel-+
Do not expect the Typhoon 90's horsepower rating to be that of a modified 70 or 90.
It is also imperative the dealer follow guidelines on set up.
The units we sell are all race prepped. Which means we do a very good predelivery.
The future units may include the sub frame bracing and the frame tied together at the bottom. There will be at least 30 changes in the next Typhoon upgrade.
Use only a mineral based oil in your typhoon.
As a Pro-Active member in the mini quad community if you require any assistance in your choice, or after your choice please don't hesitate to contact me or one of my staff.

wrhracing
11-19-2006, 03:18 PM

Thanks
Daniel-+
Also remember a Typhoon is a auto clutched shifter, so this will be new to the kids. Even my son when he first rode his 125 found the 125 would pull him in 3rd or 4th with out down shifting. So he didn't for a while. After all he is used to the cvt's also.
When brand new out of the box, I fixed the up and down slack in the steering stem, With a 25 thousanths shim . I also made a clamp to secure the top bushing for the steering shaft. We deregulated the engine by changing the cdi box out and bumping the pilot and main jet one size. Valve adjustment is also to be done fresh out of the crate, of course chain adjustment is checked, as is tire pressure.
We generally go to the high volume oil pump when we are in there modifying for a 4 speed on the 70 or 90 's. As the oil pump is right there when the shifting pin is installed.

450rutmaker
11-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I would like to find a new one in orange(prefered) either a 90 or 125 if anybody can help me out. I wouldnt mind a used one if the price was right.

dopeyferree
11-26-2006, 03:04 PM
www.outlanders.ws is a KTM , Arctic Cat dealer in Luray, VA. They have an orange one on floor. Seen it today.