PDA

View Full Version : Switch to synthetic oil

exboomer
11-11-2006, 08:18 AM
My brother just bought an 2006 400ex. He wants to switch to a synthetic or synthetic blend oil. Should he follow the break in procedure prior to switching or would it be okay to switch right away. How long or how many hours of riding does it really take to seat the rings???

Kaleigh
11-11-2006, 09:03 AM
break in with regular oil.. then switch to synth..

Kaleigh
11-11-2006, 09:11 AM
the rings usually seal within the first hour.. but dont baby it.. or the rings wont seal.. but try not to go past 3/4 throttle.. and keep going up and down in speed.. do like a little rolling dragrace to break them in.. from 1st all the way to 4th.. but dont make your engine work hard.. smooth but hard through the gears.. do this about 3 times.. alot of my friends dont agree with me here.. but seems to work fine for me..

2004exrider
11-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Yes completely break the engine in first. Go through two or three tanks of gas then change the oil. Personally i'd go with a full synthetic compared to a blend.

Jimmy

Kaleigh
11-11-2006, 10:36 AM
either is good as long as you change the oil when its needed..

i ran synth.. but went back to reg.. just or cost reasons..

Kaleigh
11-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
the rings usually seal within the first hour.. but dont baby it.. or the rings wont seal.. but try not to go past 3/4 throttle.. and keep going up and down in speed.. do like a little rolling dragrace to break them in.. from 1st all the way to 4th.. but dont make your engine work hard.. smooth but hard through the gears.. do this about 3 times.. alot of my friends dont agree with me here.. but seems to work fine for me..

this is just for the rings though.... nothing else..

exboomer
11-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I rode my 400ex for 10 hours (easy to med varying the throttle) and then changed the oil and used HP4 10/40w and have had no problems. Everyone has a different mind set on break in and the first oil change. The Honda manual says break in for 15 miles and change oil at 20 hours. I changed my oil sooner than 20 hours (10hrs) because I wanted any "material" that developed from the engine break in out of the oil. I told my brother to ride on the original oil for a couple of rides and then switch.