PDA

View Full Version : Glamis virgin

Coolidge
11-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Going to Glamis for the day, Sunday. Any seasoned Glamis vets have any advice for a 1st time Glamis trip? Im only going for the day, and meeting up w/friends that are camping. Do I need to pay? or Is my Adventure Pass enough? Would appreciate any tips.
Thanks in advance~Guy

Gumby46
11-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Have you ever ridden in sand?

Coolidge
11-11-2006, 08:44 AM
I live in the desert, and pretty much ride only desert. My only (real) experiance was when I had a dirt bike. 1st bit of advice Ive gotten so far is to go slow at 1st.

Coolidge
11-11-2006, 08:46 AM
....ironically, I used to live in Santa Barbara, and got married @ Morrow Bay, but still havent been to Pismo (yet) either. We have reservations for next year though

blown331
11-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Here are a few tips you MUST follow or you will end up hurt

#1 ALWAYS ride with a flag. As lame as they are they will save you

#2 When you crest the top of a dune you want to ride up it at an angle so you don't come flying off the top side of a razorback

#3 RAZORBACKS... all dunes are not created equal.. Just remember. If you are going one way on the dunes and you are going up razorbacks and coming down the smooth side... on the way back you will be going up the smooth side and there will be the "razorback" drop off on the other.

#4 DO NOT think you know it all after 15 minutes of riding. You will end up hurt.

#5 try and follow other peoples trails if they exist still. Usually this will keep you from getting hurt.

#6 HAVE A SWEET TIME!

Coolidge
11-11-2006, 09:21 AM
That sounds like some good advice, Thanks. I picked up a flag yesterday. Your Cobra sounds nice. Here is my 69 GTO H/T, in my sig:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/Guyster/wheele_.jpg Goes an honest 10.90 @ 125.00+ 469 Pontiac, ported iron Pontiac heads, No nitrous.

The engine:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/Guyster/1969%20GTO%20Convertible/69Motor_.jpg

All built, painted, maintained by me

tar
11-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Sweet car

If you want to stop at the top of the dune make sure your front tires are over the edge or you will get stuck.

If you start jumping a dune make sure you have someone at the top of it to spot for you(make sure nobody is coming) that way you don't get in a wreck.

blown331
11-11-2006, 12:46 PM
sweet car man... hauls the bacon too I see!

The cobra in my sig is just our daily car.

A4 Race block, poked & stroked to 331 cubes and lots of boost :)

We just got finished installing our 474CID big block poncho motor in my wifes dads 67 Firebird convertible.

that motor is amazing... only reason we went with the big block is because of the originality. stock 400 car. We all know small blocks are the way to go these days :)

check out our site www.GlennsPerformance.com/index.php?media for pictures :)

blown331
11-11-2006, 12:48 PM
ohhh.. and have fun at the dunes. If you're safe about the enviroment and don't drink and ride it will be the best ride of your life hands down...

dariusld
11-12-2006, 11:29 AM
If you ride in a group, just watch the person infront of you, it will be a piece of cake.

Coolidge
11-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Well, Thanks to all the advice here, Im back in 1 pc! I made it there no prob, but never found my group I was supposed to meet up with. So I truly am glad you guys helped me out w/the basics. Otherwise, I would have surely wound up getting hurt. esp. 1st time @ Glamis riding by yourself. Those dunes are f'n gnarly. Nothing like desert! I saw some killer sand toys, and general crazyness. Met some cool peeps too. Big 'Thanks' to Toby from AZ. for pulling my Pre Runner out of the sand ...TWICE! Doh!
Anyways. I cant wait to go back, but def want to ride w/a group. So, if anybody is down for a Glamis trip, post up. Im ready to go again. Thanks again all who replied. ~Guy

blown331
11-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm always down for a Glamis trip.. I'm only 208 miles away and our highways here in AZ are 75mph which means 90 :)

If you're heading out again let me know. The wife and I will bring out the quads.

Grumpy Wookie
11-14-2006, 12:42 PM
I have a big group of friends going out for Thanksgiving. We are going to be all the way down at wash 40 and we are always looking for good people to ride with. If you are looking for a group to hang with for the weekend, stop by. We will be getting out there the Wensday prior and leaving Sun. Ask for "The Grumpy Wookie"...

Coolidge
11-14-2006, 02:33 PM
That sounds great. Right now, my Family & I are going to Cal City for T-Day. We have a huge group of RV's/Familys going. PLUS Cal City is less than 1hr from my casa. Keep posting next Glamis trips, and ya never know...Hopefully we can get out there again. The dunes were insane!

Dune Surfer
11-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Wash 40? thats way threre. Why so far in? I think it wolud be hard on the rig driving that far on the wash road. I camped at 14 and it was graet.

blown331
11-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Unfortunately I am not obligated to spend the big T-day with the inlaws/family. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just Glamis is 10x better. Well, the dune season has just started so we have plenty of time ahead of us!

Grumpy Wookie
11-15-2006, 09:24 AM
We were at 16 last year, and everyone in my group was pissed because of how busy it was. They are telling me that Ted Kipf Road, on the other side of the tracks, runs all the way down and there is a RR Crossing at Wash 40. I was worried about the rig too, especially since I just got a brand new 2008 Toy Hauler, but if we are on a fairly well maintained road most of the way, it will be ok. This will be my first time that far down, but new experiences are always good. Come on over for a beer or some turkey.... or if you dont drink, Ill bring Juice.

Dune Surfer
11-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I have driven down Ted Kipp, all the way from Olgalby rd (sp) to glamis, Its not that bad, but I was in a truck, I don't think I would tow my trailer down it, If you go slow I'm sure you will be OK. I thought wash 40 was in the closed area. The furthest I have ever popped out of the dunes on that side was wash 22. If nothing else, it will be quiet. Try to get away from the train tracks, dam thing comes by every hour blowing its horn. I think this trip I'm going to try Roadrunner on the other side of the dunes. Have fun and be safe!

Grumpy Wookie
11-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Ill do my best to get away from the train, but those things seem to follow me wherever I go. I have one that runs by work, and one 300 feet from my house, so I have learned to block it out a litte. Its just anoying when your on the phone! Hopefully, my cell wont work out there, and I can have a peaceful weekend. (Ill just turn it off and say it didnt work!!:devil:

See ya surfin the sand man!

redrunner
11-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Grumpy Wookie
Hopefully, my cell wont work out there, and I can have a peaceful weekend. (Ill just turn it off and say it didnt work!!:devil:

See ya surfin the sand man!

Man after my own heart...look us up, there will be a modded out Rhino with us cruising around.

Dune Surfer
11-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey Grumpy Wookie, how was it down there? I ended in the washes too, Gecko road was packed. We camped at wash 14 and it was not that bad, but it was dusty. This weekend I'm camping at wash 16, maybe that will be better. The dunes were pretty chopped up, Im sore today.

Grumpy Wookie
11-21-2006, 09:55 AM
I didnt get to go out last weekend :( But I leave tonight for T-day weekend where I will be at wash 40:D

Last time I was there was about two weeks ago, and it was choppy then too. I was camping off Gecko road, and it was pretty busy. We were at 16 last year for Thanksgiving, and it was too busy for my dog, he was going nuts (he doesnt like fireworks).

Our camp will have a few pushers, one SuperLite 19 footer, and my tent. I bought a new Toy Hauler, but it is still at the factory, so I have to go old school. The girlfriend is staying at home, so it doesnt really matter. It will just be me and the dog. We have a lot of food, so stop by for some.

RedRunner, what colors are your Rhino? I will look for you. Remember, wash 40, barking dog, green tent. Easy to find.

Dune Surfer
11-21-2006, 05:28 PM
I'll be headed out after thanksgiving. Friday morning, camping at wash 16. I'll be in my little trailer. come by for a cold one

blown331
11-22-2006, 07:20 AM
where can I find a map that shows all these washes? I've only ever camped down at the very bottom of Ogilby just north of the 8 freeway near the big radio antenna.

Anyone know what "wash" this is?

Coolidge
11-22-2006, 08:32 AM
I picked up a map of Imperial Dunes when I entered last time, I will find it and check it out

dariusld
11-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by blown331
where can I find a map that shows all these washes? I've only ever camped down at the very bottom of Ogilby just north of the 8 freeway near the big radio antenna.

check this (http://www.glamisonline.org/WashGuide.shtml)

250r4life
11-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by blown331

sounds to me like youre on the backside of gordons well, over by patton valley....

thats not considered glamis, and they wouldnt have a wash that high...

Dune Surfer
11-27-2006, 07:16 AM
The washes start at the Glamis store and end at Olgilby at about 100

Grumpy Wookie
11-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Did anyone else go? How did you like it? I was worried about being at wash 40, but it turned out ok! The sand was almost completely unmolested, and we had a great time. The rigs did good, Ted Kipf was in good shape. It was choppy over by Olds, like usual, but overall, it was a great time.

My only problem was that someone tried to hotwire my quad while it was locked up, and just managed to rip out the ignition and pop a fuse. Jerks. I had to hook up a toggle switch to get it to start. Looks red neck, but it works.

TTYL

The Wookie

Grumpy Wookie
11-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I'll be headed out after thanksgiving. Friday morning, camping at wash 16. I'll be in my little trailer. come by for a cold one

Sorry man, I missed you. Wash 16 was packed, I dont think I could have found my own mother in that crowd! That was crazy.

Should have come down the road to wash 40. The sand was awesome, and my dog got to run and play without having to worry about him bothering other campers. It was great! Plus, it was the best T-day dinner ever!

We will have to meet up on the next trip. Have a good one.

Dune Surfer
11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Glad you had a good time! Your right wash 16 was packed and DUSTY. Riding wasn't that good but the company was great. The weather was nice and nobody got hurt. That makes for a good weekend. I took some tough mexican guys that camped in our circle out for a ride in the dunes, Scared the crap out of them (and their hard *** tude) they turned out to be good guys and lightened up and had fun. Takes all types.

250r4life
11-27-2006, 08:17 PM
dune surfer- i cant beleive you pull that toy hauler with that 4 runner... that is nuts!!! how big is that toy hauler? whats crazy is there are some huge hills inbetween san diego and and the dunes.. how does it do?

Dune Surfer
11-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Take it easy now. Its only a 14 foot toyhauler. It weighs 3200lbs, my 4runner is rated for 6400lbs, plus I only tow it nine miles from dunes edge storage to the dunes. It tows it no problem. See, not so crazy after all:)

250r4life
11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Take it easy now. Its only a 14 foot toyhauler. It weighs 3200lbs, my 4runner is rated for 6400lbs, plus I only tow it nine miles from dunes edge storage to the dunes. It tows it no problem. See, not so crazy after all:)

i see said the blind man... nice... i didnt even know they made 12 foot toy haulers...

Dune Surfer
11-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Its tiny but has everything I need.I looked long and hard for something I could tow safely.

hdwrench
12-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Coolidge
Well, Thanks to all the advice here, Im back in 1 pc! I made it there no prob, but never found my group I was supposed to meet up with. So I truly am glad you guys helped me out w/the basics. Otherwise, I would have surely wound up getting hurt. esp. 1st time @ Glamis riding by yourself. Those dunes are f'n gnarly. Nothing like desert! I saw some killer sand toys, and general crazyness. Met some cool peeps too. Big 'Thanks' to Toby from AZ. for pulling my Pre Runner out of the sand ...TWICE! Doh!
Anyways. I cant wait to go back, but def want to ride w/a group. So, if anybody is down for a Glamis trip, post up. Im ready to go again. Thanks again all who replied. ~Guy

Are talking about Toby From Reapers Racing?? He is a great guy built my little 389 stroker motor in my 62 chevy truck made 528 on the dyno. Great truck to drive runs like a dream, and I love killing the new model cars. Got a guy here local with a SVT cobra that had to stop by the shop to se what was inthe truck. AS I have smoked him several times. I do have to say his car runs great though. Nice ride.