PDA

View Full Version : what needs to be done toa 250r to fit a 450

some_dude
11-10-2006, 11:19 PM
ight new to the whole buildin a hybird and before i get way over my head with all this...
what all frame work would have to be done to a 250r frame to fit either a crf450 or yz450???
and pics would be greatly appericiated!!!

and would it be easyer to buy a already made hybird then build one... (and buy easyer, i mean cheaper:p )

oldskoolex400
11-11-2006, 11:47 AM
yz450 is an easier fit. i think a 400ex frame would work better b/c it is taller, but if you have the 250r frame already it can be done not sure exactly how tho lets see if we can get an expert opinion

some_dude
11-11-2006, 12:08 PM
so stick a yz450 in it instead......

wut would need to be done \... will the engein mounts be the same or will i have to make some new ones?

oldskoolex400
11-11-2006, 12:14 PM
im no expert on this and will probably be corrected but you will need to cut into the frame to get the motor to fit in, make new motor mounts, you will have to modify the motor or swingarm so the swingarm and motor will line up correctly i would recommend using a 400ex frame for the fact you dont have to change the frame as much

oldskoolex400
11-11-2006, 12:18 PM
oh and yes it will be alot cheaper to buy a hybrid already built than make one yourself unless you already have everything but the motor and it depends on how much aftermarket stuff you want to put on it

TampaBoy813
11-11-2006, 05:14 PM
heres a pic of my YZ426/400ex Frame

TampaBoy813
11-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Mine looked OEM b4 I sold her

TampaBoy813
11-11-2006, 05:18 PM
OEM Look

TampaBoy813
11-11-2006, 05:21 PM
400ex Boot worked for the swap

TampaBoy813
11-11-2006, 05:23 PM
last pic...the only thing I can tell you is that with the 426 I had 2 motor's...the 1st was the old 426 and the 2ed was a last year 426 I think an 02...neather was realy fast and the bike to me did not handle all that well...so think about if the quad is worth all the money its going to take to make this work...good luck with your swap!

oldskoolex400
11-11-2006, 05:34 PM
the quad didnt handle well and wasnt very strong compared to...... a production atv?

some_dude
11-11-2006, 09:24 PM
so a production atv is accually better to get then a hybird??

oldskoolex400
11-11-2006, 09:35 PM
i dont know about that....lol but everybody is selling them so they can run production classes the aftermarket frames seem to be stronger i just dont see where a hybrid can handle bad.... unless it has stock suspension or something is bent

TampaBoy813
11-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
i dont know about that....lol but everybody is selling them so they can run production classes the aftermarket frames seem to be stronger i just dont see where a hybrid can handle bad.... unless it has stock suspension or something is bent theres realy no way to tell you...you will have to do the swap and find out for your self...

xrxmxcx
11-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by TampaBoy813
theres realy no way to tell you...you will have to do the swap and find out for your self...

how can you dog on all hybrids and say they dont handle well and dont compete with production quads when you were still riding standard travel a-arms and a stock rear shock?

:rolleyes:

TampaBoy813
11-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
how can you dog on all hybrids and say they dont handle well and dont compete with production quads when you were still riding standard travel a-arms and a stock rear shock?

:rolleyes: well that was just one of my hybrids...and I feel the BS that comes with a hybrid is not worth it...thats IMO...I think people think its as easy as putting the motor in the quad.

xrxmxcx
11-12-2006, 09:20 AM
ive had a season mine and i love it, getting parts for mine is easy, and its not jigg-rigged together its a true hybrid frame, i think people who hack one themselves are the ones who run into problems, because they think its easy but its really not..

if your gonna build a hyrbid buy a true frame, if you have a 400ex frame send it to a reputable company (jb racing, ecatv, etc..), or if you have an aftermarket 250r frame people do conersions on them such as jh racing and some others, just dont rig one up

TampaBoy813
11-12-2006, 09:30 AM
ive had a season mine and i love it, getting parts for mine is easy, and its not jigg-rigged together its a true hybrid frame, i think people who hack one themselves are the ones who run into problems, because they think its easy but its really not..

if your gonna build a hyrbid buy a true frame, if you have a 400ex frame send it to a reputable company (jb racing, ecatv, etc..), or if you have an aftermarket 250r frame people do conersions on them such as jh racing and some others, just dont rig one up well one of my Hybrid was a 400ex/426 the othe rwas a after market 250R frame "CR450F"...so I have had both

figair
11-12-2006, 09:50 AM

if your gonna build a hyrbid buy a true frame, if you have a 400ex frame send it to a reputable company (jb racing, ecatv, etc..), or if you have an aftermarket 250r frame people do conersions on them such as jh racing and some others, just dont rig one up
I agree 100%,If its done right and you take care of it(like anything)it should treat you right.Tampabay,you are the only guy I know that keeps knocking the hybrids,I understand its your opinion,cool..But just never heard of anyone not liking them so much.Parts are cheaper(250,400ex),there fast *** hell,and to me I think there more reliable than the production bikes..If people want a fast *** hell,excellent controlling quad,than I would definately make, or get a hybrid.If your not racing pro production (which is majority of us,why not get ur done w/a hybrid...Thats just my opinion.....By the way tampa bay your hybrids were fricken sweet..

some_dude
11-12-2006, 08:29 PM
thank you everyone for ur input greatly needed and appresiated.... and ya i really would like to build one but i may just buy one it does seem cheaper and i could always rebuild it if i wanted too i guess... but ya im probly goin to be racin in a GNCC type of racin or MX racin ( but theres only two tracks close to were i live for MX) but i have to pay off the little 250ex i bought a awile back... so i may not be buyin one for a while (next year probly) and again thanks everyone

and if anyone has anymore stuff to say fill free to post it up