PDA

View Full Version : Are Burgard A-Arms any good???

erikb
09-11-2002, 08:03 AM
I am thinking about getting some Burgard A-Arms for my 400ex but they look a little "flimsy" compared to other brands.

What are your experiences???

I don't want to buy anything that'll get me killed!

:(

redrider05
09-11-2002, 08:28 AM
I just got mine and there alot stronger than what pics make it out to be...but i dont have very many races on them yet.but so far so good

Dave400ex
09-11-2002, 08:51 AM
You can get Houser`s for right around $500.

erikb
09-11-2002, 09:25 AM
Well, I can get Nickle (Chrome looking) plated Burgards for $400.00. But I don't want to buy something that's going to bend on me the first couple times I ride my quad.

Damn near died last night when my left rear hub came off my axle. . .castle nut sheared the cotter pin and spun off! I had to walk 75 feet into a field to get the tire cause it rolled so far...

:huh

erikb
09-12-2002, 08:06 AM
Nobody has Burgard A-Arms???

redrider05
09-12-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by erikb
Nobody has Burgard A-Arms???

I Do ! they are fine. i have hit some pretty big jumps and they still
work fine .

erikb
09-12-2002, 09:01 AM
OK...what is your definition of a "BIG" jump? I just want to make sure we are on the same page... I am a little extreme when it comes to riding a quad and jumping stuff.

Have you ever cased a double jump with them on?

My biggest fear is landing wrong and bending one or both... or them just cracking under the pressure if I hit a big jump and have to land without a landing hill.

09-12-2002, 09:36 AM
Where you getting the burgards for $400.00???

erikb
09-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Found some on Ebay...there is a guy selling many pairs of them. The auctions closed, but no one bid. That is why I was skeptical about their quality.

Anyone else???

09-12-2002, 11:53 AM
A buddy (gncc racer) HAD them & he WAS always sayin they hurt his shoulders..

Razorback
09-12-2002, 12:06 PM
hurt his shoulders? please explain how that happens. a-arms are only going to be as good as the shocks you have combined with them...

erikb
09-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Hurt his shoulders??? Did he get bucked off all the time or something?

I couldn't imagine a brand of a-arms causing more pain that a different set...but then again, I am pretty new to all of this.

:confused:

Extremeracer167
09-12-2002, 12:20 PM
try.... www.herrmannracing.com
They are a new company and their a-arms are SUPER STRONG!! You will be able to see it in the pics.

Ive heard of alot of guys getting Burgard stuff at that price.....especially there swingarms.
They look good, but i HEAR that crack easily.

forum
09-12-2002, 07:46 PM
A fellow racer around here just snaped his king pins on his herrmann's, I was going to get some. Now im geting houser long travels instead

liltazz
09-12-2002, 08:20 PM
i freind has them and broke the ball joints twice already landing off a table top at Evansville Pa. and once at rouch creeck

09-12-2002, 08:36 PM
OK...pay attention here ...this guy told me this ..thats all i know ..his shoulders always hurt when rode with THEM...ok get
it???....I am not him nor cared enough to get details...cause I have always felt they looked ..KINDA ...cheapish!!

09-12-2002, 11:03 PM
First thing that I was thinking is that someone had told me they were no longer in bus or making a-arms or that they were bought or something, but I am not sure. I was also told by someone else that K&K had stopped sellin them then another friend said he was going to order them there but changed his mind when he heard that he would have to reem the spindle on his craptor.

There are a lot of smaller companies making this stuff and some seem to have some great products (houser for eg.) but you need to see them up close and talk with "experienced" riders that have them.

I have heard good things about Hermann, strong arm and some others but have no experience or have ridden them so to me its just heresay.

Some things to consider when checking out a-arms. Where are they made (some are imported from?), Are they chro moly or mild steel (mild is OK but does weigh more), will the MFG stand behind their prod (most wont warr. them but will correct problems), are their replacement parts avail and most importantly will the dealer who is selling them to you fix problems with them or help you with questions or help negotiate problems with the MFG. Yes there is more than a price.

09-13-2002, 06:10 AM
440 makes some good points here..

I talked w/my bud again ...a lil last nite
...about his shoulders ..
he was sayin he tried many times to talk to them about that prob..& he always got ..."the run around"..

...he went on to say...they were not adjustable..& that
if caster is too far off when built this is not GOOD!..
& addding /switching shocks would never had corrected this prob.

he said he threw em in the trash..

ZRacer
09-13-2002, 06:36 AM
I have been running Burgard A-arms on my EX since 1998 when the EX first came out, and they are well made A-arms. My first set, I hit a tree going about 40mph when my rear shock broke from a jump, and of course they bent, but so did my frame and front bumper. Burgard replaced the set for half price because of my bad luck. I also, kept my good side in case I ever needed a spare from another tree impact.

You won't be disappointed with Burgard A-arms. The price is very reasonable compared to everyone else.

redrider05
09-13-2002, 08:18 AM
ii ve hit afew 65ft doubles with them and cased it pretty hard.but there still holding up. I think for 400.00 it would be a good investment.

forum
09-13-2002, 08:19 AM
go with Strong arms by hsd. www.hsdracing.com They are just as cheap as the others. And are built very well. Check them out

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 08:38 AM
Strong arms retail for about 545. I hear they are a **** of an a-arm set!!! When i talked to Mark, the owner, he said they stand behind their stuff. Which is another good thing!!! Def. give him a call, it wont hurt to pay a few extra bucks for something u know will hold up!!

erikb
09-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Does anyone else have experience with Strong Arms??? What about Roll Design?

OK...65ft doubles are a pretty good test! That's BIG air...

Dave400ex
09-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Man just get some Houser`s and not worry about it. Or if you want even more insurance get the new Laeger`s.

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 08:47 AM
Screw Roll, there crap isnt that great for the price u pay. Ide go with Houser, strong arm, or Herrmann b4 even thinking about Roll!!!
When i talked to Axis they said there best set up was with Houser.

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 08:54 AM
I heard leagers have went down the crapper too. I know there swingarms are absolute garbage. The only ppl they want to work with is the top pros.

bluebaron
09-13-2002, 12:52 PM
i got mine a-arms fors $200.00 off ebay. i think they are awsome:D

forum
09-13-2002, 01:31 PM
Extreme. What are you fscrewed in the head or something?? Roll design is by far the most reputative and respected chassis builder in the business. before you open you big yap. kNow your stuff. and no they are like $800 new. . Roll was the one who brought us long travel 19 inch shocks. The most used long travel system is the Lobo 2. Do some research punk.

But get some Strong arms. (send your money north LOL, hhaha,)

Sorry to get just as imature as extreme guys. I just get defensive.

forum
09-13-2002, 01:34 PM
oo yes and extreme. Save some space and stop telling us about your stickers in your sig.

Hey I have some cool blue zip ties holding my brake lines on
and some.... GOOOOOOOF

erikb
09-13-2002, 02:10 PM
Hey, hey, hey! No violence... ;)

There has been a lot of great suggestions...however, now I think I'm more confused than ever! :confused:

I am leaning towards the Housers cause they seem moderately priced and well recommended.

I just don't want them to fall apart on me...I'm kinda brittle in my older age!

:huh

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 02:14 PM
ok then u can go ahead and order your set of Roll Design, tel me how long it takes to get them, and tell me how much u really pay for the NEW long travel a-arms. Oh wait......thats right...u cant get just the a-arms. U have to buy the whole kit......funny where u get your info. Oh and the lobo 2 kit now retails for 2900 just got off the phone with Duncan. Maybe u should really check your sources. Oh and byt the way...if u could buy just the a-arms your lookin around 1500. Thanks for the BS post though, im sure most of the ppl almost believed it!! Lets see....houser long travel a-arms retail 800.........and Axis and Elka will tell you that the best front end out there righ tnow is with the Houser long travel. Sure 2-3 years ago Roll had the best chassis. Not anymore bucko. So u go buy your Roll design a-arms without the long travel shocks, which u cant do for 800, try doubling that, wait overa year for a new roll design chassis, while everyone else is going with the new age of chassis......the smaller companies, and go look in the mirror and tell yourself
What are you fscrewed in the head or something?? Roll design is by far the most reputative and respected chassis builder in the business. before you open you big yap. kNow your stuff. and no they are like $800 new. . Roll was the one who brought us long travel 19 inch shocks. The most used long travel system is the Lobo 2. Do some research punk.

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Oh by the way......i thought u would like to know where my stickers are placed, and what i have on my quad, thats what everyone else does????

forum
09-13-2002, 03:19 PM
hahahahaha. I never argued the point that they were not over priced. I know they are over priced. all I'm saying is. That they make good stuff. GOOOF

again..........I never mentioned the cost aspect. Thats all you biased your rebutle on.

forum
09-13-2002, 03:25 PM
oo buy the way. Im selling my rolls in order to get houser long travels. I just didn't like you calling Rolls junk. cause they are alot better then hsd or burgard.

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 05:31 PM
I never said Burgard was any good, but i know for a fact HSD is. If rolls are sooooo good, why u selling them?????

Well b4 u called me a punk because i didnt "know what i was talking about" when really u are the one with all the screwed up info!

Sick0
09-13-2002, 05:55 PM
I recommend the herrmanns. I just bought my off the intrenet for $465.00 in amy color I wanted. I just got them any they were really made good. They use 4130 chromemoly steel which is probly one of the best steel alloy's you can use for the a-arms.
Plus they are fully adjustable. Plus I think if you break a ball joint you can buy one at a local car parts store. The lower a-arms is very beefy and the T.I.G. welds a very clean. I got my in Candy apple red for no extra cost. I don't think you could go wrong with the A-arms. Just talk to brad herrmann. He's a decent guy. I think the a-arms retail for 499.00 direct form the factory.

09-13-2002, 06:13 PM
aside from the exotics ..or long travels..
you will be doing OK with ones that are fully adjustable ..

Bean
09-13-2002, 07:38 PM
laeger all the way, or walsh

Dave400ex
09-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Yeah you know I forgot about Walsh. Heck let everybody argue about Roll, Houser, Laeger, Herrmann and others, but I think Walsh is better then all of them and surely if I had the money Walsh is what I would run. $1,000 for a-arms though, Ouch! :blah

Bean
09-13-2002, 09:22 PM
well, i forgot danny's arms, www.merrellextreme.com , very sweet arms, i will sell my laegers for em when i can afford to

MX26
09-14-2002, 11:53 AM
I've done lots of research on a-arm and shock combo's the past year, and this is what I've came up with.

Lonestar - Great a arms. Had a set on my Banshee, and they worked great. I loved them, but just looking at them.. Not worth $725.00

Laeger - Good products. The Pro-Trax system will set you back in the pocket a good bit, and I've heard bad things about the T-Pin system. If you go with these, invest in some Ricky Stator, or heavy duty ball joints.

Walsh - In my opinion, the very best you can buy

Hermann - New company, good quality, low price. Why not?

Houser - This is what I'll run on my quads from now on

Roll Design - Whoa. Overpriced, but definately a great setup.

American Star - JUNK. TRASH. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

Like I said before, I will run Houser products on my quads for now. They are building a reputation for one of the best companies around, and stand behind their products. I spoke with them quite often about a set of +2+1's for my R. $565 - Top chrome, bottom red powdercoat. Looking good :) Good luck.

Sick0
09-14-2002, 05:24 PM
What about the Denton a-arms. are they good.

MX26
09-14-2002, 10:55 PM
Oops, forgot that. I firmly believe that anything that has Gary Dentons name on it is a quality product.

09-15-2002, 10:08 PM
Laeger - Good products. The Pro-Trax system will set you back in the pocket a good bit, and I've heard bad things about the T-Pin system. If you go with these, invest in some Ricky Stator, or heavy duty ball joints.
A friend just whacked a tree pretty damn hard on Saturday and the Laegers are the only thing that isnt bent on the front of the quad (Its a raptor and the front left wheel is back about 2"+ but its hard to tell with how bent the frame is. They seem to be pretty damn strong a-arms.

MX26
09-15-2002, 10:28 PM
A friend just whacked a tree pretty damn hard on Saturday and the Laegers are the only thing that isnt bent on the front of the quad (Its a raptor and the front left wheel is back about 2"+ but its hard to tell with how bent the frame is. They seem to be pretty damn strong a-arms.

Never said they weren't strong arms, just stating a fact that they had a ball joint issue. Gerald Hoccutt(I have his email, if you want to talk to him directly) has personally been through more than 3 sets of ball joints since purchasing his Laegers. He has since bought Ricky Stators bearings, and has not had any problems. Gerald told me once that he broke a set about 5 minutes after putting them on, landing a 20' double as smooth as possible.

erikb
09-16-2002, 08:03 AM
MX26 - Where can I get the cheapest set of Housers?

Dave400ex
09-16-2002, 08:39 AM
Laeger now has oversized ball joints on their a-arms so I`m sure the T-Pin also has new ones. Laeger has great products.

For Houser check out Full Throttle MX (http://www.fullthrottlemx.com)

MX26
09-16-2002, 11:03 AM
The price I quoted was directly from Houser. You can probably get a little knocked off by some newer, striving companies, but I was just going to order mine directly from Houser.

erikb
09-17-2002, 07:49 AM
Sounds like Houser will be my choice... unless I find some incredible deal on a different brand. (Not likely...)

Now that you educated me on A-Arms...what shocks should I buy????

Dave400ex
09-17-2002, 07:59 AM
Get some Elka`s. They should be more then you will ever need. I think the most popular are the ones I have in my Signature.

Extremeracer167
09-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Well im an Axis boy myself, wouldnt be dissapointed if u are willing to put the money down!!

MX26
09-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Well, I'm an Elka kinda guy myself. I've been in contact with them a little. Seems like $995 keeps drifting around for triple rate SSD fronts with piggy back rezzies, and somewhere around $650 for the rear(dual, remote rezzy), but I'm not certain.

I believe Axis to be a waste of money. Yes, I am aware that they are VERY good quality shocks, but I think they're just a LITTLE too pricey. Hey, if you can afford Walsh/Roll Design arms, Axis are the way to go. I think I'll stick with Elka's though.

And yes, I have ridden an R with Axis suspension. I didn't even like it as much as I liked the Works on my Banshee :) Of course, I've never ridden a stock suspended R that much.