PDA

View Full Version : Getting harder to start

4TraxRider
11-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey guys, my LT-R has been getting increasingly harder to start about 1/2 the time. It will start and run. but it sounds like its running very rich and when you hit the throttle it will stall, but that's only1/2 the time. Maby a fuel filter? I ran a little fuel injection cleaner though it and it has not helped. It only started doing this the past month of so and it has been getting colder now if that makes a difference. It does it hot and cold though. I've got a CBRM, no lid and a yoshi slip-on. Any ideas?

steveo39
11-11-2006, 06:25 PM
hey slim ... get the fuel filter it will help ya

AL Elks
11-11-2006, 07:31 PM
FUEL FILTER
Inside the swirl tank (small reservoir attached to the petcock) there is a small fuel filter. This filter needs only to be replaced maybe every six months to a year if you run pump gas. But- with some race fuels, the filter needs to be changed frequently. Some race fuels will dissolve the filter. The symptoms of a bad filter are when the bike inexplicably starts to cut out. Usually in the air off of jumps with a chopped throttle.

If your LT-R starts to show these symptoms, go to your dealer and buy a few of the filters and the O-ring gasket for the swirl tank (just in case you break the original) and replace the filter. We recommend cleaning the fuel pressure regulator at this time as well.

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR ISSUES
If your LT-R becomes hard to start and is running poorly, for no apparent reason, often times it could be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Or, if you’ve had fuel filter issues due to corrosive race gas, the units can become clogged from either debris or corrosion. The normal 42psi pressure can be reduced below 40psi, and things start to go bad. The unit can be cleaned by removing it from the quad, and cleaning with contact cleaner and. We also like to use an air hose to blow out any potential debris.

4TraxRider
11-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Steveo, waiting on you to chauffer me down to lost creek.

Al, thanks a lot, was hoping you'd be the one to answer. I feel like an idiot though, I remember reading that about 20 times and never remembered when my quad started screwin up.:ermm:

steveo39
11-13-2006, 10:43 AM
slim. i may be going to lost creek on saturday to drop my quad off if u want to go

AL Elks
11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Steveo, waiting on you to chauffer me down to lost creek.

Al, thanks a lot, was hoping you'd be the one to answer. I feel like an idiot though, I remember reading that about 20 times and never remembered when my quad started screwin up.:ermm:

Anytime Brother. I help where I can.

AL

TTZ450
12-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey Al, You wouldnt happen to have the part number for the fuel filter and and o-ring would you? Mine has been getting harder and harder to start and finally right before I went out for my TT race it wouldnt start... Any help would be most helpful...