PDA

View Full Version : YFZ MX Build!! Finally.....

coolguy8769
11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
alright well i couldn't stand looking at my yfz anymore so i have decided to start my rebuild. I will soon be ordering walsh a-arms and either PEP or axis shocks. I plan on getting the frame PC'd white and the a-arms are either gonna be all white or white/blue. and i'm keeping the blue plastics

pappy i will be talking to you about getting my frame up there shortly.

now this is only about an hour of work but it took forever cause i'm still in my brace, the case breather tube was giving me problems. and in order to et the rear plastics off i had to take the battery and air box off.... i got mad haha

there will be much more to come in the next week and most likely later tonight

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/coolguy8769/teardown3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/coolguy8769/teardown4.jpg

Honda#4
11-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Lookin good coolguy8769. I like your bike thats pretty sweet. Take it easy. Sorry about your brace, was it your back that got hurt.

A A R O N
11-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Sorry about your brace, was it your back that got hurt.

Maybe you should put what happened in your sig CG so people can stop asking. It seems like every thread you make you have to explain that you wrecked at Breezewood. I swear, every time I look at one of your threads somebody asks:p Must be annoying:scary:

Honda#4, don't feel bad, you're definetely not the first.

Oh and btw, My personal choice for a front end would be walsh/custom axis(titanium springs)

Good luck on the build!

Honda#4
11-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I had no idea about him. Sorry for asking.

coolguy8769
11-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I had no idea about him. Sorry for asking.

dont worry about it, Labor Day weekend i was up at Breezewood Proving Grounds with everyone for the laborday ride. Dan had built a new 70+ uphill triple type jump that i had been hitting all day. i got no traction on the takeoff and couldn't shift into 4th to even save it so i cliped the landing and went head over heals..

aparently i had broken my back in 3 places, i didn't relize it.... i mean it hurt but i can take pain pretty well. my dad packed up cause i was hurttin pretty bad and we got in the truck and drove home, 2 1/2 HOURS! i passed out twice on the way home due to pain (it got bad) i have been in this brace 9 weeks and get it off next week, nov. 20th

lol and yes i notice everyone ask, i dont mind telling people. I have nothing else to do since i'm stuck at home :p

here a pic scense you are probable wondering what this "brace" is lol

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/coolguy8769/JeffFedup.jpg

coolguy8769
11-10-2006, 06:46 PM
alright well i just came inside from the shop...

i am working on the a-arms but they are being retarded like everything else on this bike:scary:

i disconnected the front brake lines and stuff but i got a question, how do you get the brake lines off the little spliter by the bottom of the steering stem? they are crimped on? also where it goes threw the bracket on the frame by the top of the stem?

The a-arms just wont come off! the bolts wont turn. i am gonna try again tomorrow but any tips? idk if i should try heat

and good old ball joints....

i was thinking if i'm not gonna sell the a-arms i'm just gonna hammer the chit out of them, which isnt working. where do you think i can get one of those ball joint forks?

i didnt get far today but its a start...
(another pic, its alittle blurry)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/coolguy8769/teardown5.jpg

JRP
11-10-2006, 06:56 PM
looks good man. Thats how i feel whenever i work on my quad, no matter what, something is always a pain in the *** to get off.:grr:

Honda#4
11-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm praying for ya coolguy8769 get better soon.

Pelon 9-1
11-10-2006, 10:49 PM
nice quad!!:D :D :D

Mean250r
11-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by coolguy8769
alright well i just came inside from the shop...

i am working on the a-arms but they are being retarded like everything else on this bike:scary:

i disconnected the front brake lines and stuff but i got a question, how do you get the brake lines off the little spliter by the bottom of the steering stem? they are crimped on? also where it goes threw the bracket on the frame by the top of the stem?

The a-arms just wont come off! the bolts wont turn. i am gonna try again tomorrow but any tips? idk if i should try heat

and good old ball joints....

i was thinking if i'm not gonna sell the a-arms i'm just gonna hammer the chit out of them, which isnt working. where do you think i can get one of those ball joint forks?

i didnt get far today but its a start...
(another pic, its alittle blurry)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/coolguy8769/teardown5.jpg

i hope u dont need those stock a arms:D

when i was doin my front end same thing happened to me, come to find out the bolt on the top arm where it connects to the frame is bent, i saw zawed it off, took like 2 min. but you really need to be careful, dont wanna hit that frame :cool:

A A R O N
11-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Try to get the a-arms off the frame if the spindles won't come off with the a-arms on. Then put the whole bundle in a vice so you can hit it somewhere where it won't hurt anything. Whenever I've done it (on any quad) it just takes one HARD whack to break it free, so it's got to be braced somewhere solid. If you can, put an impact on the a-arm bolts, if even that doesn't work, use some pb blaster and a torch to heat it up as much as possible....I've taken apart a few whole quads and re-assembled them and by far the most aggrivating places are the ball joints and the swingarm bolt.....as well as some rear end stuff. Good luck.

coolguy8769
11-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
Try to get the a-arms off the frame if the spindles won't come off with the a-arms on. Then put the whole bundle in a vice so you can hit it somewhere where it won't hurt anything. Whenever I've done it (on any quad) it just takes one HARD whack to break it free, so it's got to be braced somewhere solid. If you can, put an impact on the a-arm bolts, if even that doesn't work, use some pb blaster and a torch to heat it up as much as possible....I've taken apart a few whole quads and re-assembled them and by far the most aggrivating places are the ball joints and the swingarm bolt.....as well as some rear end stuff. Good luck.

i got the right a-arms and everything off and disassembaled, but the left is giving be problems, i'm gonna try what you said with the vice...

lol i'm taking the swingarm off later tonight, any way to break the chain without a chain breaker???? i went to my dealer and they tried to sell me a chain clamp saying it would take it off...:rolleyes:

but yea my dealer is chit, so any tips on getting the chain off?!

A A R O N
11-11-2006, 01:50 PM
If you can, try to just loosen it all the way and just shimmy it off the sprockets and keep it entact. Then you can get the swinger off and just shove the chain aside while you do it.

Honda#4
11-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I just recently removed my swingarm and I was very lucky to have it come out on the second punch while turning the bolt. I honestly don't know how people's swinger bolts get stuck really bad, I guess just from lack of lubrication.

coolguy8769
01-21-2007, 08:38 AM
ANOTHER UPDATE!!

got the frame back from the powder coater last weekend and its been to cold to work in my unheated shop. Well this weekend i busted out the portable heater and got to work....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/coolguy8769/buildup.jpg

also the swing arm wont go in :confused: the bearings are sticking out like 1-2mm and the "engine bracket" wont go between the gap, any ideas what to do

400eXr1d3rZ
01-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Freeze them? That'll make them shrink, but when you get them in and they expand it might crack, or just be an absolute ***** to get out.

I think cold makes it shrink :confused:

flyboy62
01-21-2007, 09:12 AM
dont worry about it, Labor Day weekend i was up at Breezewood Proving Grounds with everyone for the laborday ride. Dan had built a new 70+ uphill triple type jump that i had been hitting all day. i got no traction on the takeoff and couldn't shift into 4th to even save it so i cliped the landing and went head over heals..

aparently i had broken my back in 3 places, i didn't relize it.... i mean it hurt but i can take pain pretty well. my dad packed up cause i was hurttin pretty bad and we got in the truck and drove home, 2 1/2 HOURS! i passed out twice on the way home due to pain (it got bad) i have been in this brace 9 weeks and get it off next week, nov. 20th

lol and yes i notice everyone ask, i dont mind telling people. I have nothing else to do since i'm stuck at home

here a pic scense you are probable wondering what this "brace" is lol

yea i was there for that, my dad and i were trying to find out how to start your quad to get it off the track, it was the kill switch botton

Joe400ex
01-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Looks good cant wait to see the end.

coolguy8769
01-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by flyboy62

yea i was there for that, my dad and i were trying to find out how to start your quad to get it off the track, it was the kill switch botton

haha i remember that, after someone helped me down the hill you were gonna try to push it up to the bleachers

Originally posted by Joe400ex
Looks good cant wait to see the end.

thanks man, i cant either!

suzukigirl
01-21-2007, 11:46 AM
looks good..the white frame is going to look awesome with those blue plastics