PDA

View Full Version : What about the Oil???

Stein2088
11-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Whats the deal with synthetic oil???

I work at a local car dealership and i was told not to run synthetic oil in my truck because after runing reg oil the syn. oil is to slippery and it would not be able to stick to the bearings like reg oil for start up. (the reg oil takes the teflon of the bearings or somethin i guess) anyway i did it and now the cam went out of my truck the very front lobe is flat, (the last place the oil reaches) but now to keep this quad related... Would this be the same for my quad i beleive that reg oil was run in her before i bought it at least twice...
So if this is true about syn oil why does everyone say to break it in with a reg oil if your not suppose to swap to a syn. oil if you've run reg oil through it... Wouldnt that just cause the same prob im in now???
Also i hear your not suppose to mix oils(reg and syn), but yet they have synthetic blends....

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bradley300
11-10-2006, 07:33 AM
go to this site www.amsoil.com and you can learn more about oil than anyone here can ever type. lots of very good info there

steve181
11-10-2006, 08:44 AM
i've been runnin gn-4 in my o2 400ex and had no problems with it at all.

bwamos
11-10-2006, 11:29 AM
The guy at the dealership is full of it. If you have worn/flat lobes it's most likley from a mis-adjustment of the rockers. A quality synthetic lubricates much better than any dino.

Being "slippery" is not the issue.. slippery.. means that the pores are being filled in and making the surface slick. So it's doing it's job.

As for the oil taking of the teflon... hahaha. If parts were teflon coated.. :huh .. the pressure of part to part contact would peel it right off anyway. Teflon is a very soft substance. There's a reason you dont use metal utensils in a teflon pan.

Go read up on it on Amsoil as stated above. ;) Great info there.

Ohh.. and Honda's GN4 is not a synthetic, it's cheap dino.. ;) Honda's HP4 is a synthetic blend (aka.. not a full synthetic) with Moly which will make the clutch slip.

2004exrider
11-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Yup, the guys either messin with you or just doesn't lnow what hes talking about. Synthetic is much better for an engine than normal oil. The only time you dont want to use synthetic is in the break in period, after that go ahead! I did and mine runs great. Heck id put it in my truck if it wouldnt all leak out:blah:

Jimmy

northwest Texas
11-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Here's a website that has probably too much information for you.

There's many more knowledgable than I but I believe the main reason for starting with non synthetics is to seat the rings and they have a harder time accomplishing that with synthetics. True or not I don't know.

Some complain of going synthetic and having their seals start leaking (automotives)

I started using a synthetic in my auto's and I do oil samples every change too so I know what's going on in my engines.

On my quad, I will keep using the Honda GN-4 and change it every couple rides, depending on duration.

Every person has their own reasons and are convinced they are correct so you just gotta take it for what it's worth.

Bob is the oil guy (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/)

Stein2088
11-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Well the teflon was my bad.... i thought i heard that new bearings are coated with teflon to prevent rust during shipping, makes sence what ur sayin tho.. as for Syn oil in my old 92 chevy... its not gonna happen again, everyone i talk to for gettin quotes say the same thing.... "mysterious lobe failure" it seems to be more than just me... the lobes seem to fail more often for no apparent reason when syn. oil is used... no one really knows why it is but they say dont run it in the new one.... Needless to say 25k the motor was just rebuilt with all new bearings and a new "crane" cam new lifters the whole deal.... If anyone else has ever had an older motor die with lobe failure and u where running syn. oil please let me knw.... my arguement with my dad says the same thing... slippier = better thus left wear... but all the Dino's from Butler PA to Indianna PA say my Syn. oil to free up more pulling power and better Gas mi just cost me btwn 2 and 2.5k....

buck naked-r
11-14-2006, 08:12 PM
they say its the best oil ever made

buck naked-r
11-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by buck naked-r
they say its the best oil ever made

check out the chart

buck naked-r
11-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by buck naked-r
check out the chart