PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic clutch

Nate_450R
11-09-2006, 10:37 PM
has anyone here had a chance to try out the hydraulic clutch kit? i have heard they are amazing but just wanted some oppinions.

Kaleigh
11-09-2006, 11:23 PM
i love mine.. would not trade it for any mod..

interceptorz28
11-10-2006, 06:04 AM
yeah, I was about to post a question on the hydraulic clutch.

Who has one? How hard to install? and most important, how much easier does it make it to shift? is it worth it?

4TraxRider
11-10-2006, 08:16 AM
I had one on my 400ex for 2 years. i really liked it but IMO it is very similar to a well taken care of cable. I just always felt like the engagement point was a little vague and it made the clutch a little more grabby. It did have an easier pull though and they were only minor issues. I'll end up getting another one some day. FYI, make sure you get the steel braided line when you order it. The stock line it comes with gets holes and melts very easily. It took me a month to find a way to zip tie it on the frame to not have it rub a hole in it somewhere.

bradley300
11-10-2006, 09:27 AM
the pull is a little easier, but the major draw is there is no cable to get dirty during a race. with the hydraulics, it is a very consisten pull thru the whole race, where ive had new cables get so stiff at a muddy race, that i had to stop usuing the clutch

Nate_450R
11-10-2006, 11:56 AM
i had never heard of them until last night and started looking for them after a buddy informed me. but like interceptorz28 asked...what about installing? is it hard?

1fstpred
11-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Not trying to rub it in but I just won a Magura clutch setup with the steel braided cable for $112.50 on e-bay. Point being keep a look out for them.

Kaleigh
11-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 1fstpred
Not trying to rub it in but I just won a Magura clutch setup with the steel braided cable for $112.50 on e-bay. Point being keep a look out for them.

wow thats awesome.. they're easy to set up.. took me about 15mins to run mine.. it come oiled and ready to go.. just make sure you tie it down right. I have my original hose on it and its been 3 years since I got it..

honda400ex2003
11-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I like mine alot. Nicest thing about it is not having the pressure point fade. It is the same all the way through and you never have to adjust it. I ran mine down the frame next to the oil resivoir and used a rubber cable clamp to hold it to the frame. I have never had any poblems. Don't run it the stock way. I wrapped mine wih loom protector. I had mine rebuilt and the people ran it though the stock way and I smelled the loom melting before the cable. I like mine alot. If you want I can give you some pics of mine. Steve

Nate_450R
11-19-2006, 10:06 PM
yeah sure...post some pics

NacsMXer
11-20-2006, 06:42 AM
I love my hydro clutch. The pull is noticably easier and smoother than with cables. Granted the stock 400EX pull is pretty darn easy, but the Magura just takes it to the next level.

I ran mine down the right side of the frame completely avoiding the headers. At any point where the hydraulic line touches the frame, I installed small pieces of air hose cut length wise and zip tied to the cable to prevent any rubbing issues. Mine does not have the SS braided line and I have had no issues running it this way for a year.

Install is a little bit tricky if you have HD clutch springs. Pushing the clutch arm on the clutch cover close enough to get it attached to the slave cylinder rod is the hardest part of the install. At least it was for me, I distinctly remember the pain in my thumbs when I did it lol. Once it's on and you use it for a few rides, you won't wanna go back ;)

honda400ex2003
11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
pic

deathman53
11-20-2006, 07:42 PM
I have one on my atc250r, I love it. I am aware of the plastic tube, I really don't care too much, as I always have a clutch cable and perch with me and the bike is only used for track riding(its fully modified for mx riding). I am gonna buy one for my trx250r(track use only) and my ktm450exc came with one stock(but that had a braided line).