PDA

View Full Version : best air set up

supernatural
11-09-2006, 05:06 PM
what is the best set up for air filter/cover? i have an 04 400ex and am putting an hmf pipe on it and jetting it this weekend. i want to go with an uni filter because i ride dusty areas alot. what air box cover mods can i do? is the k&n power lid with an outer wear cover any good i tend to get wet alot.(puddles sneak up on me). anyone running a setup close to this? what should i expect for power gains? best jetting also?

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
i hear k&n uni air filter and with the air box lid off is a great set up, as for jetting i hear good things about a 42 pilot jet and you can get dyno jets for the rest for what you have id guess id start with a 155 jet and work my way up till your plug is a light tan color.

Stein2088
11-09-2006, 05:42 PM
if u ride in really wet conditions dont do this,.... but take your lid comp off, and run a K and N wit a pre charger... you will not beleive the power itll make, but dont throw the lid away it is nice to keep for cleaning and also if u dont jet it to far you can put the lid back on w.o running to rich and causing it to load up... but if you can ditch the lid or buy another and trim the top of so you at least have the upper edge to keep a lil extra mudd and water from hitting ur filter...

hornetgod13
11-10-2006, 12:35 AM
I have a EHS Racing Lid with a UNI filter. The power gain from the additional air flow is easy to feel. It's fairly water resistant and should be OK in puddles. http://www.ehsracing.com/EHS_WEB/Products/AirBox_Covers/400EX_EHS_ABX.aspx

flauge
11-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I have a EHS Racing Lid with a UNI filter. The power gain from the additional air flow is easy to feel. It's fairly water resistant and should be OK in puddles. http://www.ehsracing.com/EHS_WEB/Products/AirBox_Covers/400EX_EHS_ABX.aspx Thats the same setup i use. It keeps the water out fairly well when shooting thru some shallow water, but i would put a bag over the lid when the bike gets washed or else the water will slowly seep thru the outerwear and get on the filter. But when youre rolling tho, it'll just bead up and roll off..:cool:

Stein2088
11-10-2006, 06:36 AM
has anyone tried the outerwear wrap or w/e its called its an outerwear the attaches to the box using velcro, its like 20bucks im curious to how well its liked..... 20$ is more my price range but i'd love to get them plates in an anodized red for my 400

Eviltanker
11-10-2006, 06:46 AM
I got it and the Velcro goes to crap the first time you pull it off to clean your filter. What I did was I cut the top of my factory lid off and made it a frame to basicaly pinch the prefilter in.

Stein2088
11-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Thanks... i was thinkin it prob wouldnt b any good to remove... sounds like a good idea pinch it like they did in the above post...

only bad thing about selling a simple product... its simple to copy and boy those pics give me some good ideas....

11-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I have a EHS Racing Lid with a UNI filter. The power gain from the additional air flow is easy to feel. It's fairly water resistant and should be OK in puddles. http://www.ehsracing.com/EHS_WEB/Products/AirBox_Covers/400EX_EHS_ABX.aspx

That looks great.

I think I just found my new lid. Thanx.

But I also plan to get a replacement airbox, to put the battery in, and I'll get one of the adapter kits.

hornetgod13
11-10-2006, 10:56 AM
The Outerwears Air box cover that velcros on to your stock air box is worthless. It's difficult to install, the velcro doesn't stay, and it tears easily. Not worth the 20 bucks you'll waste on it. Just spend the extra money on an EHS lid and you'll be glad you did. I bought the complete lid. I use my original stock lid for washing my quad. :D

BigFish
11-10-2006, 04:50 PM
speaking of aftermarket airboxes, why would u put the battery in it?

Kaleigh
11-10-2006, 05:55 PM
does K&N have a filter lid... I thought they did..

hornetgod13
11-10-2006, 06:23 PM
It's called a K&N XTREAM POWER LID. They cost about $100.00 to $120.00. Here's a link. http://www.onlineparts.com/K%26N+XTREAM+POWER+LID+%5B400700%5D.html

Ceph
11-10-2006, 06:41 PM
the aluminum airboxes are nice, besides it hides the battery nicely. inside there is my K&N with Outerwears cover.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/Ceph/Quad/1109061432a.jpg

11-10-2006, 07:19 PM
For power this is the best set up (k&n and no air box).
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/Andys4whlrmissyscake023.jpg
with no air box the spot the filter is in actually dont get to dirty. I went through lots of mud and watter and slush and the spot the filter is located at is out of harms reach. With the outer wear the watter speks that do hit it mostly just roll off in stead of going it.
I went through alot of puddles of watter and the filter stayed dry and i went mud running and every thing was coverd in mud but the filter was only a little speckled.

11-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
speaking of aftermarket airboxes, why would u put the battery in it?

Reason #1. Its a sore eye

Reason #2. Its a mud colecter so in the air box it stays dry and clean.

My 400ex battory is mounted in front hidden under the front plastic.

(look under front plastic, its greyish)
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler192-1.jpg

BigFish
11-11-2006, 06:03 AM
I love aluminum air boxes, but won't put my battery in it. I did it way back in the day and I hated it. It made it a ***** to get to the filter and battery. I would clean my filter all of the time, and it was just a headache. Plus it would keep me from running a crankcase breather.

NacsMXer
11-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
I love aluminum air boxes, but won't put my battery in it. I did it way back in the day and I hated it. It made it a ***** to get to the filter and battery. I would clean my filter all of the time, and it was just a headache. Plus it would keep me from running a crankcase breather.

I know some boxes make it a pain to remove and reinstall the filter because they relocate ALL the electronics inside it. Really cramps things up in there. I have been running a UM aluminum box for a few years now and I love it. I have run both K&N and UNI filters in it and it is a piece of cake to remove and reinstall them for cleaning. Plus it keeps the battery out of mud and i'm pretty sure it improves the balance of the quad by having it centered.

11-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
i'm pretty sure it improves the balance of the quad by having it centered.

Nope. You must have for got about the exhaust system on the right side?

NacsMXer
11-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by slow
Nope. You must have for got about the exhaust system on the right side?

Nope, didn't forget. My CT silencer is pretty light; the amount of weight it puts on the right side is negligible. It may have been more balanced with the heavy-azzz stock silencer however but who actually runs that POS