PDA

View Full Version : Need Help.. New Truck or Used Truck

cosborne
11-09-2006, 02:23 PM
I am stuck. I can't decide if I want to buy a new Ford Powerstroke or get a used one. I get Ford A-Plan so I can get a pretty decent deal on a new one, but don't know if new is actually the best way to go. I will be putting a lot down on a down payment. A used one will save me some money, but I know with a new one nobody has messed with it, plus I get a warranty. Anybody else in the same situation or was? Any advice would help. I thought about maybe a new/newer F-150, but not very good fuel milage and diesel have more power. Thanks for the help.

Rip_Tear
11-09-2006, 02:31 PM
I assume you are buying and not leasing. I would go with new, I've only owned used vehicles (except the MXZ) and have always found stuff afterwards that made me very annoyed, enough to say that from now on I either lease trucks/cars and only buy used recreation vehicles with the plan to fix stuff.

So basicly I'm saying I would buy or lease a new vehicle, UNLESS you can get a really good deal on a used one knowing you'll probaly find something wrong with it.

cosborne
11-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I am only buying and not leasing. I don't like leasing. Thanks for the help. Anyone else.

cosborne
11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Bump.. Nobody has any advice?

DieselBoy
11-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, obviously if you have the allowance for a new vehicle, then its definately the best option. Its difficult to get a like new used vehicle. You will save yourself alot of headache, and think of the warrenty.

416exmx
11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
I bought a used 03 powerstroke a year and half ago with 88K on it. I had problems with it and luckily it was still under warrenty. I drove it 6mos and bailed out when it had 97K on it. After that I went and bought a new 06 almost a year ago and love it. Not that I drive it very much but im glad I bought a new one.

p.s. it has 10K miles on it and I would sell it if you descide to buy a used one.

nosliw
11-09-2006, 05:52 PM
well, since you can't buy a 7.3L PS new anymore i guess the only option would be used.

416exmx
11-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
well, since you can't buy a 7.3L PS new anymore i guess the only option would be used.

:confused: who said anything about a 7.3? The 6.0 is just as good if not better IMO.

Rico400
11-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by nosliw

i thought u could pay more and get the 7.3 installed?

nosliw
11-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
:confused: who said anything about a 7.3? The 6.0 is just as good if not better IMO.

nobody said anything about the 73, it was just some advice from me.

nosliw
11-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Rico400
i thought u could pay more and get the 7.3 installed?

:D i wish

bulkdriverlp
11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
do you need a diesel? you can tow 9k with a 5.4 triton in an f-150. i forgot to look at your location but under 20degrees they have to be plugged in. around here fuel is .50cents more a gallon. i dont think you can put a remote start on a diesel can you? new probobly 40-50 grand. you can buy an '02-'03 for about 25-28. new f-150 5.4 triton 36grand, used '04 prolly 23grand. thats my advise take it for what it is

nosliw
11-09-2006, 06:28 PM
these days, p/u diesel engines don't need to be plugged in to start in cold weather. the fuel is going to wax and clogg your filter before you have to worry about plugging it in. i have the engine block heater and an oil pan heater for cold (~30F) weather because A-it's easier on the engine (easier on ANY engine) and B-instant cabin heat.

and you can have a remote starting system on a diesel p/u.

cosborne
11-12-2006, 09:36 AM
I thought about getting an F-150, but the fuel milage on those things aren't real good. Plus, I can get A-plan on a new one. I would much rather have the diesel than the gas. I called an old car dealer/friend of mine and he sells Ford and Dodge. He told me to buy a Cummins. I like the motor, but am not real big in the Dodge Trucks. He said they are about $6000 cheaper and get better fuel milage. If that didn't make the decision an even bigger pain in the butt.

firefighterjosh
11-13-2006, 11:14 PM
This is wht I did..Kinda the same situation....

I had 20k to spend (all I wanted to take out for a loan)

Look at all diesel trucks. All I could find was trucks around 80k - 120k for $20,000.

My friend kinda got me looking at Rangers. I went and looked at a Level 2 Ranger (comparible to the 4.7 ltr f - 150). I could get one brand new with 0 miles for 20k out the door.

So I wrote down the pros and cons of each and what I would use it for.

Max I pull 4 quads. Both trucks can do it.

I like to go wheelin in trucks. Ranger is better at it due to lightness and the 4.0 has plenty of tourq.

Gas mileage. Both get about the same.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH lol.

I went with the ranger since i can get one with 100k less miles for the same price. PLus in 5 or 6 years I will be turning the ranger into a mudder and buying a diesel. (that is my plan anyways)

Also wait till Feb or March to buy a truck. (it is the slowest time of year)

northwest Texas
11-14-2006, 07:55 AM
There's not really any good reason to buy new. I've done it several times and it's a mistake. I used to buy into the same theories I've read above.

Something like 80% of all millionaires buy used. That should tell you something right there.

cosborne
11-14-2006, 02:13 PM
But like firefighterjosh said, it is hard to find a good diesel with less than around 80k miles. If I do find a good one for less, the price is high and I can just buy a new one. I looked at an 06 Powerstroke with 10,000 for 31000, but by the time I would buy that, for a little more I could have bought a new one. I prolly won't get a small truck like a ranger. I work for a landscape company and need a bigger truck to pull trailers every now and then. What do you guys think of the Dodges with the Cummins? I am considering it. I have heard they get better fuel mileage and are about 7k-8k cheaper. I don't know what to do.

Stevie-D
11-14-2006, 02:45 PM
i've had seat time in both. my pick would be the dodge...not only because i won't own a ford:devil: power wise the cummins wins. the powerstroke had terrible lag. i'm sure that there is more than one person on here who will agree with me that the cummins is a superior motor.

as far as the actual truck, again, i'd say the dodge. guy i work with has an 05 f-350. fun truck, but the detail, finishing touches on it aren't up to par with the dodge.

again, this is my opinion. no flamers please:chinese: :blah:

DieselBoy
11-14-2006, 02:58 PM
There is nothing better than brand new. NOTHING. Unfortunately I buy used cause thats all I've been able to afford, but I assure you the next time I buy a vehicle, I'm buying new. Nothing worse than spending a huge wad of money and finding out a month later it has been driven like an mx quad when everything fails faster than you can count 10 on your hands.

Of course, you can get one that's perfect. But, the fact is you don't know **** about it until you've had it for a bit.

If you're considering a used diesel pickup... One word of advice: do NOT rush. and be very cautious. chances are if its diesel it's done some towing, probably heavy towing... They are extremely expensive to fix, too.

cosborne
11-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Dieselboy, I c where you are coming from and totally agree. That is one reason why I am trying to steer away from used. What do you think about the Ford vs. the Dodge?

DieselBoy
11-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by cosborne
Dieselboy, I c where you are coming from and totally agree. That is one reason why I am trying to steer away from used. What do you think about the Ford vs. the Dodge?

Well, I'm a ford man myself. Dodge uses the cummins turbo diesel which I really like, but the quality & craftsmanship in the actual pickup is not near enough to justify buying one for myself. Even ford does things I don't really like, but I still like fords.

To each their own.

firefighterjosh
11-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Cummins (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1110047178)

When you buy a cummins all you are buying is a cummins engine in a fancy crate:p I am a ford fan but you gatta love the cummins