PDA

View Full Version : choke question very simple heh

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I just bought an 04 400ex yesterday, i didnt get an owners manual. well today i was trying to start my ex with my choke up, it started but i could only go to 2/4 throttle so i moved it all the way down and it ran fine, my question is to choke it does it need to be up or down?

Kaleigh
11-09-2006, 12:41 PM
your choke has to be down.. when you choke is up.. its cutting off your air supply with inturn gives you more fuel to start.. start with the choke on but when you are running turn it off..

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 12:55 PM
ya i know how the choke works just didnt know how it is supposed to be set, thanks :)

NY06400EX
11-09-2006, 01:23 PM
When starting the quad (when the ambient temparature is cold enough to require it) you place the choke lever in the up position or horizontal. When the quad is warmed up and can idle w/o a problem you push the lever back to the down position or vertical position.

FYI - There is an inbetween setting or a partial choke setting that can be used as well when trying to start the quad.

Another option is to replace the pilot jet with a 42 pilot - there is a lot of info available on this topic, try doing a search and I'm sure you'll find some useful info on the topic.

Hope this helps.

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
yeah my ex is VERY cold natured im needing to get that done or go back to a stock exaust..nahhh :)

Mike[socal]
11-09-2006, 04:25 PM
If you look real close on the yellow choke handle you should see an arrow which points to choke on.

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Mike[socal]
If you look real close on the yellow choke handle you should see an arrow which points to choke on.

well..i saw that it confused me i didnt know if the arrow meant choke on or off lmao, ah i just thought about it its so simple now its like haveing a choke by the green light cept its somewhere else. today when i started it im like what the hell up means off..right? haha but yeah i get it now thanks

vett_09
11-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by NY06400EX
When starting the quad (when the ambient temparature is cold enough to require it) you place the choke lever in the up position or horizontal. When the quad is warmed up and can idle w/o a problem you push the lever back to the down position or vertical position.

FYI - There is an inbetween setting or a partial choke setting that can be used as well when trying to start the quad.

Another option is to replace the pilot jet with a 42 pilot - there is a lot of info available on this topic, try doing a search and I'm sure you'll find some useful info on the topic.

Hope this helps.

I've always been told that you should only use full choke to start the quad. Once it fires, you should move to the in between setting while it warms up.

Honda4lyphe
11-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by vett_09
I've always been told that you should only use full choke to start the quad. Once it fires, you should move to the in between setting while it warms up.

have you been told that since it was stock? from what i know and my personal expirences over the years you NEVER leave the choke on at all. now im not sure about your 416..maybe you have to im not sure

Kaleigh
11-10-2006, 06:00 PM
use your choke to start it.. once it starts move to half choke for about 10 seconds or so.. then no choke to let it warm up.. thats what Ive been taught.. works great for me..

Pipeless416
11-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by NY06400EX

Hope this helps.

i have to say that this was probably the best thing ive done for my 400. i had the hardest time starting it when temps got around 10 degrees F and i drained the battery a lot, but since i got the 42 pilot in there i give it a few pumps of gas and it fires right up... so easily that i took the choke out. :)

Honda4lyphe
11-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i have to say that this was probably the best thing ive done for my 400. i had the hardest time starting it when temps got around 10 degrees F and i drained the battery a lot, but since i got the 42 pilot in there i give it a few pumps of gas and it fires right up... so easily that i took the choke out. :)

like i said my ex is EXTREMLY cold natured, i started it today its about 45 degrees here, it fired up fairly well but smoked and back fired a little, when im starting it i gotta rely on the choke lever and the starter switch, if i give it gas it always fouls the plug (and i dont give it much gas maybe 3 pumps) atleast it starts though haha, im waiting for it to snow so i can put this thing to the test :) but ya im definatly gonna get a 42 pilot..i may decide to attempt installing myself (like i said i really dont trust myself on things i never done before engine wise) it beats paying 50 bucks for a dealer doing it