PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Bolt

petralph
09-10-2002, 08:27 PM
So I think I messed up big. I changed the oil in my 400ex the other day and tightened the long filter cover bolt a littl etoo much. The bolt snapped leaving half of the threads in the hole! Any ideas on how to get them out of this deep hole? I really want to avoid taking the engine casing off!

400exRacerX
09-10-2002, 08:30 PM
It happened to me and alot of the other members,,, very common. I had to take the side case off,, no biggy just need to replace the gasket.

Deathbringer
09-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Or you can get a reverse drill bit and try that.. it basically does what it sounds like... grabs the bolt inside and tries to back it out... Now obviously you need it to be a little smaller then the bolt but you might give it a try..

VegasEx'r
09-11-2002, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know if any of the new Fram Sure Drain things would work on our quads? Seems that might fix this problem. Anybody know the thread size for the oil bolt? I'll test it out.

400exRacerX
09-12-2002, 02:47 PM
I wouldnt use a easy out or reverse thread drill bits, because you can easily scare or severly damage the aluminum engine block.

Leo
09-12-2002, 04:44 PM
if you broke it putting it in, get a reverse drill bit like the previous poster said..

get it as close to dead center in the broken part of the bolt as you can, and start drilling.. within 2-3 seconds it'll bite and spin it right out..

then just grab a replacement bolt, and remember it's a long thin bolt, not a lug-nut :D

Leo

Woodsrider
09-12-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r
Does anyone know if any of the new Fram Sure Drain things would work on our quads? Seems that might fix this problem. Anybody know the thread size for the oil bolt? I'll test it out.

He didn't break the drain bolt, he broke the bolt on the filter cover.
The drain bolt is either 10X1.25 or 12X1.25 one is the tank and the other is the case, I forget which is which.

Ride400exj
09-12-2002, 10:14 PM
i have done this once never again also i took it to chapperal to have them deal with it lol didnt feel like doing it was really pissed couldnt race because of that lol

Ben
09-13-2002, 05:43 AM
If there is any bit of the bolt head sticking out of the case I highly recommend you use some channel locks and try to pull it out that way. Otherwise good luck, but I would be careful about using a tiny Easy-Out as they are very brittle and often break. I would try Leo's suggestion - and good luck.

REC
09-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Make sure you put anti-seize on the bolts once you fix this.
You also might want to invest in a inexpensive torque wrench.
This will help you get the right torque without over tightning.
Good luck!:)

QuadTrix6
09-13-2002, 11:33 AM
another case of bolt abuse, i say we take his quad away :D