PDA

View Full Version : crooked steering

cwiert
11-09-2006, 12:15 PM
hey...
i just bought a used '04 300ex. it's in real good shape but i did just notice that the steering is a bit off. when the bars are straight, the wheels are turned slightly to the left. when the wheels are straight, the handlebar is turned a bit right. how do i fix this? do i need to remove both tie-rods and adjust the legnths of them until i get it where everthing is lined up right? is there another way to do it?
thanks. btw - there are aftermarket bars on it (not sure if that matters or not).

Kaleigh
11-09-2006, 12:45 PM
your toe in about be about a half inch.. or 3 degree's

bwamos
11-09-2006, 01:22 PM
You're tir rods need adjustment.

Measure from nut to nut, and they should be equal.

If they aren't, adjsut them to equal distance w/ 1/2" toe-in from rear center to front center of the front tires.

11-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
You're tie rods need adjustment.

Yup.

cwiert
11-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
You're tir rods need adjustment.

Measure from nut to nut, and they should be equal.

If they aren't, adjsut them to equal distance w/ 1/2" toe-in from rear center to front center of the front tires.

I measured the tie-rods and they are equal legnths. but i don't know what you guys mean by "half inch toe-in from rear center to front center of the front tires." what's a toe-in?

another question, does/can the steering stem ever get twisted a lil' bit? i wonder if that might be what happened.

400exstud
11-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Tie rods. Adjust the nuts on the tie rods. Test it after your adjustment by aiming at a far off object and hold the bars at what you think is straight. If you go straight your right on. If you go to the left or right you need to continue your fine tuning.

The owner before you may have opted to have the alignment altered. I prefer to have my front end set up like your because it allwoes me to turn left faster (which I struggle with more than right handers).

Toe in is just the angle of the tire in respect to the path that it travels. You want the tires on a quad to be SLIGHTY angled in (toe in) toward the center of the quad.