PDA

View Full Version : will this work

bear dad
11-08-2006, 10:46 PM
this is what i'm thinking. my son pred 90 05 has single a arm so why cant i buy on ebay stock full size a arm, any brand and mod the frame, this way i get duals without the big price tag and disk brakes. second is the back of the bike, again taking full size swingarm and axl and moding the frame,plus can you flip the sprocket and breaks, or they in a fixed position. all these changes i can do if it just involes welding.

BradLoomis
11-09-2006, 09:34 AM
You can do anything you want if you want too.
As far as the front end, you will also need spindles, hubs and brakes to go with whatever a-arms you go with. The Predator stuff won't work with dual a-arms unless the arms were built to use a custom spindle. I believe this is what Dave Carter is doing.
As for the rear axle, The problem is that the motors are not squarely installed in the minis. You will have to move the motor to the right side of the quad by around 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" to the right and that doesn't take into account for the width of the carrier that you decide to use, inorder to square up the rear axle with the frame.
What I have found out is that even if you get a long travel front end and a round house carriered rear end... the frames just can't take the really serious punishment that you can now give to it.
If you can weld... build yourself some wider a-arms, a new longer swing arm and either run rear spacers or an aftermarket axle.

bear dad
11-09-2006, 10:27 AM
brad i was hopeing you would see this. i was thinking of building my own set of dual arms but even with spindle, hubs and brakes to go with it, i dont know if i could get all the camber and areticulation right. my son is a big boy and jumpes high and far so i trying to get as long of shock travel as posible. is there a site i could see to find out about this or is it trial and error.

BradLoomis
11-09-2006, 11:07 AM
As for the caster / camber, it is really pretty basic once you understand what you are looking for. I will walk you through it, if you decide to go that way. My oldest boy jumps farther than just about any kid I know of and repeatedly clears 40 foot spans. It has taken me quite a few frames to figure how to gusset them so they will survive more than one race. But I haven't gotten a full season yet out of one of them. That is why I am starting to build my own shifter bikes.
You can build a +4 a arm and fit in a 13" shock pretty easy. But it still isn't going to help the weak frame situation. If you don't want to build your own chassis... look for an old 250R or 300/400EX and modify that chassis to take a dirt bike motor and you won't have anymore issues. Give me a call at the shop if you want to talk more about this or anything else. 1 800 GLOOMIS ext 291