PDA

View Full Version : Want to Nikosil cylinders

banshee84
11-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I have an 01 banshee and have heard/ read their are a lot of advantages to gettin my cylinders nikosil sleeved. Banshee motors are aluminium heads with cast iron sleeves. Has anyone ever had their sleeves nikosiled?

More info here
http://www.usnicom.com/index.html

400exrider707
11-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I know stock 450R's come with it already done. It is nice to have but also very expensive, and you cant just do a simple rehoning every time you want to do new rings, you need to have it replated.

speedfreaksguy
11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I know stock 450R's come with it already done. It is nice to have but also very expensive, and you cant just do a simple rehoning every time you want to do new rings, you need to have it replated.

You can still hone a plated cylinder. You wouldn't be able to bore it and throw another piston in like you can with the stock cylinders. I think you would need a special set of rings too.

44oEX
11-09-2006, 09:27 AM
you can bore out a nycasil cylinder, you juste have to get it replated after it's been bored out.

As for plating your banshee cylinders, I beleive that to nycacil a cylinder they have to be all aluminium, I know the 450's have a complete aluminium cylinder and sleeve, to plate your cylinders you would probably have to get them chromed or something, I don't thing nycasil would be possible.

K_Fulk
11-09-2006, 09:51 PM
You can nickasil cast iron sleeves.

If you could find some aluminum sleeves for it then have them nickasiled it would be even more reliable. Better heat transfer along with the bore lasting a lot longer.

US Chrome is a good place to get stuff nickasiled, They did the aluminum sleeve for my 465ex motor.

400exrider707
11-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
You can still hone a plated cylinder. You wouldn't be able to bore it and throw another piston in like you can with the stock cylinders. I think you would need a special set of rings too.

You can not have a nikasil cylinder honed as it defeats the purpose of nikasil. Once you do that the plating is pretty much ruined. A new cylinder is a little more than the plating..... its worth it just to get the new cylinder.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Actually we diamond hone plated cylinders all the time, not to make them bigger but to break the glaze for proper ring seal. This only needs done on a cylinder that has lost all the cross hatch or that has vertical striping