PDA

View Full Version : LEADED Gasoline????

400exrider0004
11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Im thinking about running 110 leaded gasoline for my bike. As of now the bike runs wayyyyy to hot where I cant get it started. I talked to a guy who owns a yfz 450 with a pipe and jetted and he runs this. He said it should help. Tell me what you think and if it would be okay to run and what you run!! Thanks.

Sjorge450R
11-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
Im thinking about running 110 leaded gasoline for my bike. As of now the bike runs wayyyyy to hot where I cant get it started. I talked to a guy who owns a yfz 450 with a pipe and jetted and he runs this. He said it should help. Tell me what you think and if it would be okay to run and what you run!! Thanks.

i ran some 100 low lead AV gas in my 300 and it runs a little hotter than normal. You can tell the difference in the gas. I dont see how it will make it easier to start tho.

400exrider0004
11-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Well I think im just gonna run c12 from vp. About the starting thing, my bike is almost like an opposite of everyone elses. Its starts fine when cold but when hot it wont start for anything. So I think the gas would cool it down and hopefully help:ermm:

ghott
11-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Leaded Gasoline will make your quad run a bit cooler.

But....

You could be losing power. I'm not really sure how you feel about losing or gaining power...but here goes. You get the most power with the lowest Octane rating you can run with your setup. IE: People usually use 93 octane on their stock 450R's. You could probably use 89, but people choose to use 93 for a bit of a cushion...to prevent possible detonation or preigntion. If you go below 89..you risk detonation. If you go above 93 octane, its pretty much useless in the power department...kinda overkill, and will actually hinder power somewhat. Maybe an alternative would be using a lead additive...I believe is Tetraethylead...

GPRacer should have some more info on this...and hopefully I'm not too far off.

Just some food for thought.

Also, you may want to drain and flush your radiator. And put some ENGINE ICE in her. Mine runs very cool...and I use engine ice.

Good luck!

GPracer2500
11-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Make sure to rejet when switching fuels. C12 has a lower specific gravity than pump fuel and that changes the jetting requirements. When most poeple report a temperature change in their engine when switching fuels it's because their jetting wasn't adjusted for the new fuel.

Sometimes you'll hear about "jetting consistency" as being a benefit of running a racing fuel (and it is). This mostly has to do with specific gravity. Pump fuels' SG will vary station to station and day to day. Unless you measure it with a hydrometer, you never really know what you've got. You might have been jetted perfectly yesterday when you did your dyno testing, but with the fuel you bought today your a size too lean/rich.

Racing fuels mostly solve that. Budget racing fuels will often spec the SG as a range--say .720-.735. But at least you know your always going to be in that narrow range. You never know what you're getting with pump fuel. With a high quality fuel like VP's C12, the SG is a set number--.717. A set number also gives you a simple way to test the fuels purity. Measure the SG with a hydrometer and if you get anything other than .717 than you know the fuel is contaminated with somthing.

If whatever fuel you're running now isn't quite meeting the octane requirement of the engine and riding environment then detonation may be taking place. Deto causes excess heat. So, switching to a fuel with a higher octane rating could cool down a hot engine by preventing abnormal combustion.

That said, fuel choice can have an effect on running temps irrespective of jetting and detonation. Some fuels can draw more heat out of an engine becuase of the specific characteristics of their distillation curve. When fuel vaporizes it absorbs energy (heat) from its surroundings. But this has a very small effect in four strokes. Two stroke engines are more likely to realize a benefit from enthalpy change of vaporization (engine cooling from fuel vaporization). But even then, it's almost never an overiding factor in fuel choice. Specialized kart racing fuels with a unusually high spike in the boiling point at the end of the curve might be an exception.

VP C12 is an excellent all-around fuel and widely available. But if you're engine is not experiencing any detonation then the addional ocatane rating of C12 will provide NO BENEFIT. But, there could be benefits to running C12 that have nothing to do with octane rating. Jetting consistency is one reason. The vapor pressure specification might provide easier (or harder?) starting when the engine is hot or cold. The distillation curve of C12 might allow the engine to rev with a tad more authority. You could even find a teensy-weensy bit more overall power. But keep in mind, none of those potential benefits have ANYTHING to do with octane rating. All octane rating tells us is the fuels resistence to the abnormal combustion phenomenon known as detonation.

BTW, you cannot "over octane" an engine. Too little octane rating and deto might take place. Just the right octane rating and no deto takes place. Any more octane rating then just enough is simply unutilized detonation protection. More than enough octane rating can't hurt the performance of the fuel in other areas (deflagration, vaporization, etc.) unless the high octane rating was obtained by compromising other characteristics of the fuel. And that is rarely the case with high quality racing fuels (espcially if they are leaded).

ghott
11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Thank you GP!

400exrider0004
11-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Thank you GP!! As of now I am jetted with the sparks jetting specifications. What do you think I should do jetting wise when I run this fuel. What should I change??? Thanks for the help!!

Josh

honda4life72
11-09-2006, 04:33 PM
i run 5% methonal

tfuchs
11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
I would recommend using VP U4 instead of C12, it is only 93 octane but it oxygenated. Your machine will start faster, have a noticable increase in power and run cooler. I switched from C12 to U4 earlier this season and couldnt be happier.

ghott
11-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by tfuchs
I would recommend using VP U4 instead of C12, it is only 93 octane but it oxygenated. Your machine will start faster, have a noticable increase in power and run cooler. I switched from C12 to U4 earlier this season and couldnt be happier.

U4 leaving nasty deposits in either your intake ports, or exhaust ports (can't remember which), is not unheard of. I recall SEVERAL people having problems with the oxygenated fuel.

tfuchs
11-10-2006, 06:51 PM
not yet. the only thing about it is not to leave it in the tank or carb.

Over-land 450r
11-10-2006, 08:49 PM
yeahh **** that why waste the time and money.

400exrider0004
11-10-2006, 09:31 PM
how do you guys get the race fuel from the metal container to the gas can without the 8 dollar a gallon gas going everywhere?????

ghott
11-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
how do you guys get the race fuel from the metal container to the gas can without the 8 dollar a gallon gas going everywhere?????

A funnel...?

400exrider0004
11-10-2006, 10:52 PM
I tried but is was still hard to get in. Im looking to see if anyone has tried something different?? I just dont like wasting the stuff:D