PDA

View Full Version : Opinions KXF450R vs 250R

250Renvy
11-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Ever since I got my first 250R in 95 I've been pretty die hard 250R/ 2-stroke rider. I dabbled in 400ex and 300ex to no satisfaction but after lately having more down time than riding time I
was thinking of just getting a 400ex (electric start and reverse) But now I'm jonesen about the KFX 450 - with an aluminum frame and electric start and reverse.

I've been trying to build a GNCC race quad for about a year and keep sinking money into the 250r. Sorry for the long post but does anybody know how these fuel injected quads feel compared to the regular four strokes? Is it like a street bike or closer to 2-stroke feel?

The KFX looks great for GNCC and it'll solve that problem of which class to ride in with the 250R.

So even though it's not out yet - feelings on 250R vs KFX450R

250r4life
11-08-2006, 10:02 PM
1) dont ever buy a first year quad
2) if youre going to get a 450, why not get a honda or yamaha that have proven to be good
3) EFI is overated...

my $.02

RichM1983
11-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Go here it might offer up some info for you.

http://kfx450hq.com/

If I could go and buy one of those I would in a heart beat. It looks absolutely perfect for what I want. It will be a long time before I can afford that though.

Kirt13
11-10-2006, 08:07 PM
You only need to ask yourself one question........2 stroke, or 4 stroke????
I had the Suzuki LTR450 with EFI. I was not impressed too much. the only advantage I saw was that the thumb throttle did not wear out your hand. The throttle is very sensitive so when you went over woops the engine would constantly rev up a little on each bumb because of being so sensitive.

iamjasyn
11-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Another insect looking quad from Japan. Gone are the days of a masculine looking quad it appears... Everything looks like some cartoon to me... anyway, I'd get a 265 pv and have it ported by a solid builder. Honestly, you'll probably save money keepoing your R alive if that high strung 450 blows up on you.

Also, from what I understand FI is the next step in meeting the next deadline for smog requirements. They're not putting those expensive and complicated parts on there because they're needed for performance.

C-LEIGH RACING
11-13-2006, 07:29 AM
I see some people are finely getting the picture about these 4 strokes, its big money now.
Neil

250Renvy
11-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Neil, do you mean big money to fix or just big money for the companies?

I'll admit I don't know a lot about these new four-stoke race quads, I was just wondering if the FI makes it anything like a street bike motor or if it's just another style of carb. Street bikes are extremely fast and you can put 16000 miles on them before needing valve adjustments and with regular maintenance you can put 70000 miles on them - when has a quad ever had that on it?

The 400ex motor is based on the XR and as far as I know it's semi-bulletproof, but the handling just isn't there.

I'll never get rid of my 250R and in the future, if it's financially possible I'll probably buy as many as I can, but I just want to know about other options in case 2-strokes get banned or something.

C-LEIGH RACING
11-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Neil, do you mean big money to fix or just big money for the companies?

I'll admit I don't know a lot about these new four-stoke race quads, I was just wondering if the FI makes it anything like a street bike motor or if it's just another style of carb. Street bikes are extremely fast and you can put 16000 miles on them before needing valve adjustments and with regular maintenance you can put 70000 miles on them - when has a quad ever had that on it?

The 400ex motor is based on the XR and as far as I know it's semi-bulletproof, but the handling just isn't there.

I'll never get rid of my 250R and in the future, if it's financially possible I'll probably buy as many as I can, but I just want to know about other options in case 2-strokes get banned or something.

Both, you pump her up & get her hot like a 4 stroke needs to be & she will blow.
I'm not saying they dont run good pumped up, but thats just how it is, to many moving parts to fail.

The street bikes have three other cylinders to help balance the whole package out, thats why you have relibality on those.
With the single cylinders, I dont think it will ever last long untill they figure out how to keep the valve train in constant contact with each other.

Why they run as they do now is because of the lite flywheels, thats a lot of throwing & snatching on a rod & piston.

Oh & on the 400s, you realy pump one up & turn it hard, see what that rod does.
400s would do the same as a 450 if you took the flywheel off, maybe good for 2 or 3 drag passes then pull another engine off the rack & bolt in.
Neil

BLACKeR
11-14-2006, 05:02 AM
i went to a GNC event this summer between the motos, 50% of the pro bikes were without engines. half a dozen of them DNFed breakdowns have gotten crazy since everything went 4-stroke. you can almost guarantee a $1500 rebuild every few years or less. thats hard for the average guy to afford.

11-24-2006, 11:33 AM
the new kfx does not start very good when its hot just like the ltr

rooster300ex
11-26-2006, 10:20 AM
The new kfx450 is just ugly as all get out. Stick with the 250r or 400ex.