PDA

View Full Version : Lets solve this once and for all!

Honda4lyphe
11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Alright recently i hear that white e-series pipes are crap, yet i see them (or an hmf) on nearly every ex that ive seen! Post your opnions on a white pipe on a400ex, and a white pipe 400ex itself. Im talking reliability and performance opnions. Personally i have a white but i didnt buy it myself the previous owner did so im sticking with it for now. Also heres a question kinda off topic, those who have a white pipe and use it for water..how does it hold up? I know an hmf isnt made for water but its performance and sound is amazing.

Hondabeefast
11-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I have a White Brothers E-Series Slip-On on my 416ex and I love it!!
perforance is awesome and it sounds bad A** too.

Honda#4
11-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I got a WB e-series and I really love it,it's got great sound for me and so far it's holding up great just cus I baby my toys.

Honda4lyphe
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Ya i gotta truely admit its sound is great, i just bought my 04 today but havnt ridden mine much only got to load it in the truck then put it in storage. I got in trouble with the cops so im banned from my ex until saturday but i still got my truck! heh

brian-250
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I have an E-series on my '01 and have been happy with it and have no problems.;)

jokester
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I had an e series on my 250ex and I F***in loved it, now I have a white bros pro meg e series, and it sounds even better then the regular e series, and it puts out even more power....I love the e series exhuasts and I would never switch...

awsomeaussies
11-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I have an E Series on mine right now. The only complaint I have, is one of the mounting tabs broke off. But everyone that has heard mine has loved the sound. I just bought a Sparks exhaust from someone on here because I'm getting a big bore this winter, but if it wasn't for that, I'd be keeping it:)

Polished White Bros for sale;) Oh yeah, and the mounting tab was "professionally" welded back on too:p

jokester
11-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
I have an E Series on mine right now. The only complaint I have, is one of the mounting tabs broke off. But everyone that has heard mine has loved the sound. I just bought a Sparks exhaust from someone on here because I'm getting a big bore this winter, but if it wasn't for that, I'd be keeping it:)

Polished White Bros for sale;) Oh yeah, and the mounting tab was "professionally" welded back on too:p

thats why I love the pro meg e series since it can handle the big bore kits...

Honda4lyphe
11-08-2006, 09:16 PM
ok..so far 5 opnions all positive! im still trying to remember where i saw people dissing the e-series i know it was on these fourms, and since i read that i was a little negative, but when i heard it fire up i took it anyways haha. Also again if anyone can answer..how do the white e-series do in water? i do a good amount of gettin into water i cant resist heh so im needing to know if its made to hold up or if i need to go buy a stock exaust for certain rideing.

jokester
11-08-2006, 09:18 PM
they don't have any type of problem in water, I've had mine completly under water and it didn't hurt it one bit.

jokester
11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
forgot to mention...I go riding where I have to cross creeks on a regular basis and so far (knock on wood) the water hasn't done anything to it, besides wash a little mud off it....

Honda4lyphe
11-08-2006, 09:27 PM
alright thats good, i live near a place called souldier creek it has alot of deep water spots and you actually have to get it on 2 wheels sometimes and sput through it haha, i just remember i was reading on the hmf website they wernt made for water, was wondering if it was the same for the white pipe as well.

jokester
11-08-2006, 09:34 PM
that sounds like it could be pretty fun....I live in a small town in oregon, that has all kind of muddy and watery trails to ride through, and my pipe holds up awsome against all of it, the water never has a chance to get inside the pipe since the air is flowing out between every disk... and when I'm crossing really deep water I just put it in a lower gear and keep it reving a little bit, just in case a little bit of water does get in when the pipe is submerged..

GPracer2500
11-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I owned an E-Series for many years. My only complaint was that the mounting tab on the mid-pipe eventually broke off. If this happens to an E-Series (and it's not uncommon) get it re-welded sooner rather than later. I didn't bother and eventually all the welds connecting the mid-pipe to the exhaust canister broke. I had to have them all rewelded. Had I fixed the mounting tab sooner that probably would not have been necessary.

I should add that even when all those welds were broken, the pipe did not rattle, fall off, or anything like that.

dariusld
11-09-2006, 06:32 AM
I have an R4 and its cracked in the same place. I had a DMC before the R4 and it cracked twice on the lower mounting tab. Maybe its just all exhaust.

11-09-2006, 07:25 AM
I liked mine. In a dirt wheels pipe shoot out for a 400ex the white bros e series won and hmf/ct/pro cercit/exc... all lost to the white bros e series.

The bad was the S part of the pipe weld broke and that costed $80 to get welded and a bottom mount broke off too.

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 12:33 PM
ouch..i think id attempt to weld it myself haha

Chino886
11-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
Alright recently i hear that white e-series pipes are crap, yet i see them (or an hmf) on nearly every ex that ive seen! Post your opnions on a white pipe on a400ex, and a white pipe 400ex itself. Im talking reliability and performance opnions. Personally i have a white but i didnt buy it myself the previous owner did so im sticking with it for now. Also heres a question kinda off topic, those who have a white pipe and use it for water..how does it hold up? I know an hmf isnt made for water but its performance and sound is amazing.

You have to remember that a lot of people compare apples to oranges........or in our case, slip ons vs. full systems!

If I were to buy a pipe for the 400EX:

Slip on-Sparks X-4
Full System-Sparks X-6

There is nothing wrong with the White Bros E-series, but performance wise, there are better pipes (full systems)

Just my 2 pesos!

If you don't believe, ask anyone that has a full exhaust to see if they would go back to a slip on! ;)

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 12:59 PM
id get a full system any day but poor people like me cant offord :(

Chino886
11-09-2006, 01:12 PM
id get a full system any day but poor people like me cant offord :(

I hear ya!

I am not made of money either!

jokester
11-09-2006, 02:12 PM
the pro meg e series is a full system!

Chino886
11-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by jokester
the pro meg e series is a full system!

Nothing against the full system that you are describing, but WB, FMF, DMC in my opinion are just not "top performing" pipes.

They are good pipes, but if you have to ask......." is this pipe any good?" Then you should have your answer!

I bought a pipe that I know is good, if not the best for my machine!

I don't mean to sound like an arse hole, but its the truth!

CHEVYZ
11-09-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree. I bought an FMF and I am not afraid to say that it sucks as far as exhaust systems. I would also consider WB and such names to be in the same catagory.

No offense to anyone that uses these systems; they aren't bad. They are not very good, either.

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 03:20 PM
im not sure how it is in performance, i think its like +6hp for WB im not sure though ive never rode a 400ex on stock exaust just piped and modded ones

but i mean i see people talking bad about WB exaust, not crap performance but crap as in how its made, yet i see either a WB or a HMF pipe on almost every 400ex i see occasionally a sparks or fmf, most other pipes are uncommon it seems

Chino886
11-09-2006, 04:49 PM
im not sure how it is in performance, i think its like +6hp for WB im not sure though ive never rode a 400ex on stock exaust just piped and modded ones

but i mean i see people talking bad about WB exaust, not crap performance but crap as in how its made, yet i see either a WB or a HMF pipe on almost every 400ex i see occasionally a sparks or hmf, most other pipes are uncommon it seems

I think there are 3 factors that are involved in that:

1. $$$$$
2. availability
3. advertising

400eXr1d3rZ
11-09-2006, 05:28 PM
I hate mine, the mount that bolted to the subframe is starting to crack and rivits are gone. Maybe it's just because i got mine is HORRIBLE condition, Sparks x-6 is coming soon!

Chino886
11-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
I hate mine, the mount that bolted to the subframe is starting to crack and rivits are gone. Maybe it's just because i got mine is HORRIBLE condition, Sparks x-6 is coming soon!

Good choice, you will love it! :macho

jokester
11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
i hear what you guys are saying about there being better pipes and all. But I will have to say though my full system pipe definatly isn't a cheap one though they cost around $400-$500 depending on some different sites you look at though, but I happend to find a kick A** deal on dennis kirk for only $350 and I couldn't pass that up. and it puts out about a 6 horse power gain...

400eXr1d3rZ
11-09-2006, 09:45 PM
i hear what you guys are saying about there being better pipes and all. But I will have to say though my full system pipe definatly isn't a cheap one though they cost around $400-$500 depending on some different sites you look at though, but I happend to find a kick A** deal on dennis kirk for only $350 and I couldn't pass that up. and it puts out about a 6 horse power gain...

If you're talking about 6 hp gain on a 400ex then your crazy! There is no way a exhaust will give you 6 horsepower, you're lucky to see 3.

jokester
11-09-2006, 09:47 PM
sorry forgot to mention, that was with the pipe, filter and jetting....

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
If you're talking about 6 hp gain on a 400ex then your crazy! There is no way a exhaust will give you 6 horsepower, you're lucky to see 3.

hold on ill give ya the link, gotta find it, i read hmf gives +7hp so i GUESSED that a white would do 6 or so, maybe not exactly 6 but you know..

EDIT: ok ok, i caught myself it was an hmf full system (and of course..hmf includes the jets) so ya your about right a slip on should do around 3 or so

jeepcj469
11-09-2006, 11:22 PM
i got a FMF on one of my exs and Full LRD on the other and there is most deffently a diffrence. If you can afford it get a full system I love my lrd i wonder how much hp it gives?

guinness77
11-10-2006, 08:05 AM
I've had my E-series for a couple of years. Going for it are:
Light weight
Sounds great
Relatively easy to repack
Relatively affordable

Going against it is:
Delicate construction.

My rivet holes tore-out and I decided to wrap sheet steel around it, weld the sheet steel, then re-drill the holes. The tube itself has been fine ever since then. But now, 2 of the 3 mounts have had to be re-welded. For the price of $210+, I expected it to last much longer than a couple years. At this rate, it'll be gone in another year. There's only so much re-pairing you can do.

jokester
11-10-2006, 09:26 AM
dude what do you guys to destory your exhuasts???

I had my e series for 3 years without any type of problem ever happening on it...And I sold the quad I had it on to one of my dads buddies and he's had it almost a year now, and hasn't had any problems either....

Now I have a white bros pro meg e series full system for almost a year now on my 400 and no problems have occured, no cracks in any of the welds, nothing needed to be tightend down, and nothing even needed to be to it besides wash it to make it look all pretty again...;)

Honda4lyphe
11-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by jeepcj469
i got a FMF on one of my exs and Full LRD on the other and there is most deffently a diffrence. If you can afford it get a full system I love my lrd i wonder how much hp it gives?

if you got the race pipe series then it might surpass hmf full by a little

BigFish
11-10-2006, 04:46 PM
No full pipe will ever give u 7 hp.

There's nothing better than another "my pipe is better" thread :macho

400exstud
11-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
No full pipe will ever give u 7 hp.

There's nothing better than another "my pipe is better" thread :macho

I agree. It is kind of a pleasure that Pappy un-stickied his almighty 400ex pipe thread. Now we get to go back to this. Don't even get me started:p

northwest Texas
11-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Mine's held up good but it was on there from the previous owner.

I WILL NOT recommend it though but not for performance reasons but personal issues with their service, or lack thereof.

I look forward to the day I remove mine in exchange for a full.

guinness77
11-10-2006, 11:47 PM
dude what do you guys to destory your exhuasts???

I had my e series for 3 years without any type of problem ever happening on it...And I sold the quad I had it on to one of my dads buddies and he's had it almost a year now, and hasn't had any problems either....

Now I have a white bros pro meg e series full system for almost a year now on my 400 and no problems have occured, no cracks in any of the welds, nothing needed to be tightend down, and nothing even needed to be to it besides wash it to make it look all pretty again...;)

Well.... I ride alot.
Every week in the sand of Coos Bay. That's a very bumpy ride. My quad has 511 hours on it in only 2.5 years.

Other than that.... I dunno.

AZ_TRX400EX
11-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I've had my WB Racing E-series (with 12 Plates) for 4 years and it sounds/performs as good as the day I bought it. I like how cool they stay. Even after some hard riding, you can put your hand on it without getting burned. I also like the deep sound you get out of it. It has a sound like no other exaust.:devil:

Honda4lyphe
11-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by AZ_TRX400EX
I've had my WB Racing E-series (with 12 Plates) for 4 years and it sounds/performs as good as the day I bought it. I like how cool they stay. Even after some hard riding, you can put your hand on it without getting burned. I also like the deep sound you get out of it. It has a sound like no other exaust.:devil:

so thats why lmao today i was rideing and i accidently fell and my face skidded the pipe, i was laying there saying oh ****, but i didnt feel anything..2 things were possible,#1 the thing was so hot i didnt feel it, #2 it was cold..i put my hand on it and im like WTF that explains it lol. well for now on im loyal to white, saved my face haha

Honda4lyphe
11-11-2006, 12:38 PM
check it out, thought i saw something like this before and i was right

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HMF-Exhaust-System-Pipe-Honda-TRX400EX-400EX-TRX400-lrd_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43978QQihZ002QQitem Z120048561964QQrdZ1

they could be bsing, and probably are but thats where i got 7 hp from (this one says 9hp) but another thing you gotta take in consideration this is a powerseller, 14000 sales from this person and that does matter for their sake of feedback

400exstud
11-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Do you guys know how juiced your motor has to be to get 7-9 hp over stock?

Honda4lyphe
11-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
Do you guys know how juiced your motor has to be to get 7-9 hp over stock?

yes, just to tell you the truth im pretty clueless on hp gains from pipes, ive learned alot of things on this site over the past year..and ive never really seen any threads on "pipe hp gains" just the usual "which pipe is better".

400exstud
11-12-2006, 11:42 AM
yes, just to tell you the truth im pretty clueless on hp gains from pipes, ive learned alot of things on this site over the past year..and ive never really seen any threads on "pipe hp gains" just the usual "which pipe is better".

It all depends on the RPM range that you are talking about. In the midrange some pipes can actually gain 5hp which is why they can legely claim those numbers. The problem is that most people try to tack those claims onto their peak hp where most pipes gain about 1-2hp. I don't care what pipe you have it isn't going to pump out anything significantly larger than 2hp at peak hp.

TRX_450
11-13-2006, 06:19 AM
i had an e-series on my 400 and recently switched to an HMF. the e-series wasnt a bad pipe, but i dont have one regret about switching to the HMF, theres so much more power to it now

400eXr1d3rZ
11-13-2006, 09:45 AM
hold on ill give ya the link, gotta find it, i read hmf gives +7hp so i GUESSED that a white would do 6 or so, maybe not exactly 6 but you know..

EDIT: ok ok, i caught myself it was an hmf full system (and of course..hmf includes the jets) so ya your about right a slip on should do around 3 or so

On a 400ex, a aircooled machine, you'll never get 7 hp from a full exhaust, and for a slip-on your lucky to see 3.

blakefoote
11-14-2006, 12:09 PM
i had both E series and HMF and the HMF is WAAAYYYY better...the ES performance is slim to none and the HMF is AWESOME!!!!