View Full Version : Just got an 04!

Honda4lyphe
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Yo i just bought an 04 400ex today fo $2500 (haggled for a very long time heh). Mods that are done to it are in my sig.

Alright got a few questions on jetting.

Ok this thing is VERY cold natured i just gotta put it on full choke and keep trying when it fires up and gets warm it runs like a honda, i asked the previous owner if its been jetted, it hasnt. It has a white e-series slip on on it so i was wondering if i got it jetted to like a 42 pilot (or give me some reccomindations please) jet would it run alot better? Im in benton kentucky i hear things about climate that makes a difference as in jetting so im just curious. Remember, only mod performance wise is the white pipe.

Ok if i jet it should i go ahead and get the k&n filter for it? Reason i havnt bought it today is because i know theres intake and outtake, if i opend both intake and outake is already opend from the pipe it wont even idle will it? So if i bought the filter id probably have to jet it with the pipe right?

Ok now, if the first question is answerd how much does like a dyno jet kit cost? Is dyno the best? And i truely dont trust myself installing it, though i could if the price for installation is outrageious..so how much would installation from a honda place cost? Im in kinda a budget here i just bought the ex and a computer cos my other piece of **** one failed on me so im looking to spend like under like 150 bucks or so.

Thanks, ill post some pics of the beast tomorrow :)

hornetgod13
11-08-2006, 05:30 PM
A 42 pilot is the way to go if you are having starting/idling issues. www.jetsrus.com has a huge selection. I have installed a Dynojet kit on my 400ex. It's pretty straight forward. If you do a search on the website you will find step by step instructions on how to remove the carb.
If you are having issues with just a slip on than if you add a hi-flow filter it will only get worse until you rejet.
Just another thing to add, the Dynojet kit does not included the pilot jet. You will have to purchase that separatley.

Honda4lyphe
11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
So could i get by by putting on jsut the 42 pilot? or would i have to also put on like a 170 main jet?

hornetgod13
11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
The 42 pilot jet would help your starting/idling troubles but, you will still have use a bigger main jet for 3/4 to wide open throttle.

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 12:09 AM
aight, what size should i start with?

hornetgod13
11-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Everyone on here has different opinions on jetting. Depends alot on temperature, riding altitude, and riding style. Also if you have your air box lid removed or not. For now, since all you have is a slip on I would start in the range of 155 to 160 and 2 1/2 to 3 turns out on your fuel air screw. If you have the money, I would just go buy a UNI or K&N filter before you start to get more out of your rejetting.
Until you rejet you might want to turn your fuel air mixture screw out a couple turns to richen the mixture. That should help your starting/idling troubles. I attached a great link on the website with helpful photos and step by step instructions on how to rejet and adjust your fuel mixture screw. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19832

Honda4lyphe
11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
heres pics-

[img=http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2082/picture001jx3.th.jpg] (http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture001jx3.jpg)

ah computer is being stupid only letting me do one for now