PDA

View Full Version : Scary Thought......

coolguy8769
11-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Alright well since i wont be riding alot this winter i have been throwin around the idea of tearing my baby down. I have the shop space and some of the tools to do this but i have one question

What was the hardest/most stressful part of your build:confused:

i am scared to death of the wiring harness and hoses, like engine connection and stuff. i have a service manual but that can only help you so much:ermm:

Rip_Tear
11-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Seriously those things you mentioned are nothing, the scariest part is when you find siezed bolts, bushing, stuff like that. Doing a whole rebuild isn't too bad, I've done it to my quad for the last 3 years, and before that I just did partial ones.

insaneracin2003
11-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by coolguy8769
Alright well since i wont be riding alot this winter i have been throwin around the idea of tearing my baby down. I have the shop space and some of the tools to do this but i have one question

What was the hardest/most stressful part of your build:confused:

i am scared to death of the wiring harness and hoses, like engine connection and stuff. i have a service manual but that can only help you so much:ermm:
it was very easy,if you think you are gonna get stumped,snap some photos,tag stuff. it is easy an fun.........just have fun with it

Doober
11-08-2006, 03:00 PM
yea i was thinking the exact same thing you were, but after i got started i realized it wasnt that hard. I just Label'd all of the bolts to what part it came from and the wiring harness, but other then that its not hard at all.

yellowzo3
11-08-2006, 03:07 PM
like stated previously, take pictures and label EVERYTHING. put bolts in bags and label everything on the wiring harness. for some parts i thought to myself, "this setup is so simple i dont need pics of this"...and then when it came time to reassemble i found myself looking through pics of other parts trying to scavenge a view somewhere of the "simple" setup. its really not hard if you take the time to take pictures and label. dont try to be a hero and disassemble it all in one day without having a clue where the parts came from. its more enjoyable if you take your time and emliminate the stress of trying to build it without any reference. its a great way to learn too. i say go for it!

Mxjunkie
11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Biggest thing is finding bad bearings and having to replace them other then that very easy

miller821
11-08-2006, 04:55 PM
The stupid swingarm pivot bolt:( If you haven't taken yours out and you've had it for over a year, it'll be a pain to get out in most cases... But I worried about getting my oil lines torqued down and in the right spot, cause without oil your screwed:ermm:

Pappy
11-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Its gravy. As ride hard man poimted out, the pivot bolt is the only thing that usually hangs people up. Your probably ok, ive seen your quad and you dont do much XC so I would expect it to come out without any problems.

suck my pipe
11-08-2006, 05:35 PM
only gos togeather one way. If it dosent fit dont force it and if looks funny check the manual.

11-08-2006, 05:49 PM
make sure you keep all your screws and the like seperate.
put them in a bowl or something. label them if you like.
it helps alot, course im reallly picky lol

1fst400
11-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I use baby food jars, or tuna fish cans to put bolts in.

I would start by like just taking the front end off. Doing whatcha got to do, then put it back on. THen the back end. If it seems easy enough then mabie take the motor out, plastics off and pc the frame or somthing.
But I have seen ppl who get themselves burried by taking stuf apart and having no clue how it goes, take it to a dealer and get skrewed.

coolguy8769
11-08-2006, 06:32 PM
yea, my dealer would be lost.....

i'm gettin Lt suspension later this winter so i will leave it disassembled till then probable. If i would tear it down the only reason is to PC the frame, which i want white.

QuadJunkies
11-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Most of its not too hard, its when you go into the motor thats sometimes scary...:scary:

11-09-2006, 01:32 AM
why take it apart??:confused:

firefighterjosh
11-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Be sure to bag all bolts up and lable them

Exp
Body Parts
Swinger bolts
A arm Bolts
blah blah blah.

Seems easy at first but after 2 months of it begin apart you kinda forget.

The most stressfull part of having my banshee apart was when I put it together I had 5 bolts left over:scary: