PDA

View Full Version : Any ATVs for a 3 year old

PAPutzback
11-08-2006, 01:29 PM
I can spend 350 bucks on a electric two seater plastic jeep or for another 100 bucks there is a company that sells a fifty with remote kill for 450. The company is Right Way ATVs. Anyone heard of them?

http://www.rightwayatv.com/details.cfm?pid=42

Is 3 to young. She already goes down the hill in the alley on her trike with her feet off the pedals. I'd actually feel safer if she had 4 wheels under her but I don't know about the quality of RightWay atvs. In addition to the remote kill it has an adjustable throttle and it says the max speed is 17mph.

Valder
11-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Since you asked our opinion. Yes 3 is too young for me. I waited until mine was 8 and had somewhat decent judgement skills.....well as good as they get for an 8 yr old that is. Motor skills is another consideration....remembering what my kid was like at 3 I could not count on him to time the brakes right when needed.....my kid is no drooling fool either. LOL! :D

You also have to think about the size of the kid as well. I have seen some 8 yr olds that are way to small even for a 50. Best is to start out with powerwheels at that age.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV

newnick
11-08-2006, 03:47 PM
I agree. Our son got a powerwheels at three and was able to ride the wheels off of it with good control. He didn't get a dirtbike or fourwheeler till he was six and he learned somethings the hard way then.
Another thing worth mentioning is that most of the cheaply priced quads are junk and will fall apart and you won't be able to find parts for it.

badvox
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Im afraid I would have to agree with the others here. 3 years old is just way too young. Mine also had a power wheels quad and now hes on a cheapy but I know what goes wrong with it and can fix it myself.

For as long as he is going to fit on it it will be just fine then I will just throw it away. ;-)

Arctic Cat Dad
11-08-2006, 08:11 PM
NO WAY !! Do the math 3 yr old girl maybe 30# +atv at 215# =DEATH!

My son could ride my big bear anywhere thru the woods with me on it. When he was 3. And I still wouldn't get him one till he was 4. And this kid could was born on a atv.

PAPutzback
11-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the opinions. I will probably stick with the Jeep. I started my son on a CR50 with training wheels for his fifth birthday. It was stolen f()!@ theives. But then I got the trx90 and he loves it. But he took to the dirtbike so easy at 5 I thought he could of done the same at an earlier age. They grow up so fast though that you can't remember when the learned their left from right. Plus the power wheels go as fast as the little Right Way 4 wheelers. I doubt they could roll it in the backyard, my biggest fear was them putting there hands where they shouldn't or one running over the other.

I'll stick with the power wheels for now. I don't doubt her first quad will be the hand me down 90 when my son gets a little older.

Valder
11-09-2006, 06:50 AM
I think I read either here or another forum that there are smaller electric quads out there that might be a better option than the powerwheels. I have not see any personally though.

mandmburke
11-09-2006, 07:43 PM
My son rode a Power Wheels quad at 3 and then go bored in 3 months. I then moved him into a mid 80's suzuki lt50, the lt is actually smaller than the Power Wheels quad. I widened the track by 4 inches and put a hose clamp around the hand grip to limit the thumb throttle. This was the best move I ever made. The mid 80's lt50's weigh less than 100 pounds, no batteries to charge, will run forever, get parts right from Suzuki, and reliable as hell. He is 5 and a half now, riding full throttle and still loves it. I've got an extra one I'll sell you for $350 if you are interested, could even probably fit in a big box and send it UPS.
Thanks,
Michael
mandmburke@aol.com

PAPutzback
11-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by mandmburke
My son rode a Power Wheels quad at 3 and then go bored in 3 months. I then moved him into a mid 80's suzuki lt50, the lt is actually smaller than the Power Wheels quad. I widened the track by 4 inches and put a hose clamp around the hand grip to limit the thumb throttle. This was the best move I ever made. The mid 80's lt50's weigh less than 100 pounds, no batteries to charge, will run forever, get parts right from Suzuki, and reliable as hell. He is 5 and a half now, riding full throttle and still loves it. I've got an extra one I'll sell you for $350 if you are interested, could even probably fit in a big box and send it UPS.
Thanks,
Michael
mandmburke@aol.com

Checking with the wife. The extra one is a suzuki 50 and not the power wheels right? I just got my 5 inch. My fear is the same. You dump 350 into a power wheels and then it just sits there until it gets donated to good will. But then she can ride it in the basement year round un supervised

PAPutzback
11-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Doh! I need to check the calendar. The wife seems a little hostile this week. If you were close to Indy and I could try the quad out I'd probably take it off your hands. Well more like if the wife could try it out, she has hangups with buying used online.
Thanks for the offer though.

parttime
11-10-2006, 08:07 PM
something for you to think about. the average person walks 5mph and the powerwheels will go about 5 mph also.put my 2nd youngest boy on a eton eton viper 50mini at the age of 3 and is now 4.you can adjust the limiter screw to go as slow as 5mph to and you want have to ever worry about charrging that durn battery for 8 hrs.just my .02

cjpoole1
11-16-2006, 12:20 PM
My son was on a powerwheels quad from 2-3 then I got him an 05 lt50 when he was 3 that he has been on for a year now. He is about ready to move up to a bigger 50.

mecheech
11-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Here is my son at 3 yrs old on his 84 lt50
http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/GalleryImages/38876/No%20way!.jpg

And here he is at 5 yrs old on his 05 Kymco 50
http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/GalleryImages/38876/holeshot.jpg

It really is and should be up to the parent on when their child is ready for atvs,bikes,snowskiing/boarding.

From day 1 of riding his atv I have stressed safety and paying attention both to myself and his surroundings. And I didn't just go out and throw him right into riding a too big atv down a root and tree laden trail either. We started out slow with lots of time spent in the backyard and in wide open sand. Then slowly progressed on to trails and racetracks when I felt confident in his skills and abilities.

He races against a 4yr old girl (not the one in the photo)that could woop up on alot older boys and is in complete control.

Like I said I believe it is the parents choice to pick what their child can do and responsibily oversee and teach their child the correct and safe manners of the activity.

rhinorick
11-19-2006, 02:51 PM
3 pic of him when he was 3. lol he's 4 now . he has a power wheeles .his little gas quad can be turned down to go slower than the power wheeles. I started on a rm50 when I was 4. it had 5 gears and a clutch. and I'm far from dead

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/atvriderz/10-1-41.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/atvriderz/10-1-34.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/atvriderz/10-1-19.jpg

mecheech
11-19-2006, 04:28 PM
That Predator 50 is a great quad for little ones. I see U have taken off the higher footwells. I was really considering the Predator but then stumbled across the Lt50 for a great price and unloaded it easily for the same price.

mandmburke
11-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Yes, the "extra" one is an lt50. Yeah, I understand about buying online and not being able to see it and all. I can send you some pics if that would help, and would drop the price to $300. You can't really go wrong with one of these though, they won't lose their value and parts are everywhere. As far as riding in the basement with the electric one, that would get old real quick.

mxdad
11-21-2006, 05:17 AM
My son started on a LT50 when he was 3 as well. It is all about whether your child is capable of listening at 3 years old. My son was fine but my daughters would not have been fine at 3. It all depends on the kid. Most of the quads have throttle limiting screws and kill switches. Just be careful and buy good protective gear.

ww228king
12-08-2006, 09:39 AM
3 is a purfect age .....the lil quad on ebay that has a xr70 engine is the best....my son started with that at 3 years old and it was great...small, just his size, you can turn the handle bars with your finger....its like a BTM50.....T Motorsports on ebay is the best place to get one.....My son won his first race with that quad...parts for the engine can be found at any honda dealership, just ask for xr70 parts

jetski_dawg
12-24-2006, 01:43 PM
i started my son at 3,on the same china quad you talked about(remote start/stop)70cc that i bought on e-bay.honestly, that quad was junk! (he now has a predator 50..much better!!) dont rely on the remote to work for one,plus if it sits over a week the battery goes dead(bought a spare battery). what i did was tie a good heavy rope to the back of his quad and to the front of mine and let him tow me around on flat ground till he got used to it. that way i controlled the speed and stopping...The local news paper has his picture riding his quad and someone wrote in on how bad a parent i was for letting him ride so young.kinda pi$$ed me off because we have a in-ground pool and he also can swim better than most adults. its amazing what kids can do when you spend time with them teaching them..

AFROracing
01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
its amazing what kids can do when you spend time with them teaching them.. [/B]

WORD!

Son started riding with me when he was not even a year old, by 3 I told him to get potty trained and he can have his own ride. He started on a hand me down Yamaha TriZinger. The boy paid more attention to his surrounding than most adults I see out there riding. He has now graduated to a chinese quad shifter and working on his 3rd race series at age 6. Ready for another upgrade...

spliffy
01-12-2007, 01:36 PM
My kid is turning 3 in March, he has been riding a Kazuma 50cc for just about a year now, I have it throttled down to about 4mph... I also put a remote kill on it..just in case. He does great, sure he has hit a few things, but at 4mph no damage to himself, just a few dings & scracthes on the machien & no hills to roll the thing over he is doing better than I ever thought.. it is really up to each individual kids parent to teach them their riding skills...some kids will do great others you will have to wait on & keep them on the powerwheels...no shame in that, when they are ready, you as a parent should be able to know & teach them. I have a buddy whos kid is 6yrs old.... he hits everything & has no clue..... needless to say he will own a powerwheels for a bit longer heh.

Andyman17dad
01-13-2007, 07:46 AM
It is DEFINATLY a judgement call that a parent needs to make (not as a "proud parent", but as a reasonable thinking parent) as to what your kid is ready for. My son started riding a Suzuki 50 at 3, but some of his friends, I would not even trust on the Power Wheels! (He is now 8 and has 3 seasons of racing multiple quads under his belt and I still don't like having his friends come here and ride on our practice track, some kids have it and some just don't)

That being said, I would recommend the Suzuki or Predator. Or maybe a LEM if you can get one, they are nice and light and have a very narrow seat that makes it easier for smaller kids to manuver on.

jfarrar30
01-13-2007, 06:38 PM
on my kids first birthday we got him the small power wheel quad.he took right off.it has a thumb button for the gas and everything.took him a day or two to get the steering down.on his second birthday we got him the raptor powerwheel.wich is actually pretty darn quick.he rides it around our whole track over all the jumps and everything.it is amazing.this summer when he turns 3 he will have a lt50.(of course it will be limited so it doesnt rip around)the kid just has it in his blood.now the next door neighbors kid is 6 months older and has a powerwheel and struggles with wich way to go and just really doesnt grasp the whole riding thing.i say if your kid has the nack get er dun!

5racing
01-19-2007, 05:43 AM
The kazuma 50 is probably the best choice for a small child as these machines are very small.I have had my daughter on one since she was 3 and shes now 6,quad still runs strong.My daughter is very good on it now and even has the shifting down pretty good. Kazuma 50's are 4 speed semi-auto so just put it in first gear turn the trottle limiter in and their good to go. They even have a tether kill switch on the rear so you can walk behind for the first couple of weeks.

I would recommend the quad over the powerwheels if the parent is willing to work with the child and not just turn them loose,thats when accidents happen.

ww228king
01-19-2007, 09:16 PM
4 year old (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=276779)

the fat kid
01-20-2007, 10:09 AM
my daughter is 4 i bought her one of those "cheap" sun'l 90cc four wheelers, and she rocks on it yeah shes flipped it twice but she learned real quick that you have to slow down when you turn cause its so narrow of a set up, i also bought her the raptor power wheels atv from walmart and she tore up about 4 of em before i decided to get her a real motor, she loves it and despite the jumping could ride right with that kid in that video... and ps, i ride her four wheeler sometimes just messin around and it has held up extremely well, you might need to check soem of the bolts and other things around the rear end thats what tended to come loose on hers...

AFROracing
01-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ww228king
4 year old (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=276779)

Sweet!
Build that kid some more jumps...
get him to the races!

ww228king
01-20-2007, 06:31 PM
he raced one outlaw race last year and took first....he was ridding one of those sunl 50 or btm 50...what ever you wanna call them....not bad to start out on for a lil one, well, after the race 2 weeks later it got stolen....he started ridding at 3....when he turned 4 he couldnt wait to join them other kids.....now i have got him the mongoos 50 ....it is a lil slower that the sunl 50, but it handles alot better....he will be back in the Southern MX series in the spring....i think he will do ok....

the fat kid
01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
i just wish the sunl was a lil wider but since shes used to it i guess shell be able to handle a wider one,... thats cool that your lil dude is riding that well my daughter doesnt wanna jump she just likes to fishtail around and throw dirt on me...

ww228king
01-20-2007, 08:20 PM
lol....build her a table top....she will just ride over it for about 3 days, then faster and faster....and before you know it .....you have gutted the table top to a mini double....

the fat kid
01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
yeah shes usually really slow when she first gets out, and about fifteen minuets into it she is full throttle, and i mean full its set to be wide open with no limitations, so theres an official atv race series for lil kids, im interested, shes super smooth with it..

AFROracing
01-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by the fat kid
yeah shes usually really slow when she first gets out, and about fifteen minuets into it she is full throttle, and i mean full its set to be wide open with no limitations, so theres an official atv race series for lil kids, im interested, shes super smooth with it..
I noticed your from FTWorth...

I am near Mckinney..
Anyhow you should checkout NTMX, it's kinda far for you but we run by skills not age classes...
my boy just turned 6 this past fall and when he was running the beginners class he was riding with kids up to 11 or so that are also beginnners.. When Spanky the promoter/owner of the track thinks that a kid is to advanced for the class the kid gets moved up.. My boy volutarilly bumped to the novice class this series after taking 2nd over the last series..

Our series is running on 3 tracks here in North Texas, NTMX, Nocona and North40 MX...
The spring series will be bringing in a few more tracks...

check it out www.northtexasmx.com

r81275
01-25-2007, 02:24 PM
i started my son at 3 he is now 4 will be 5 apr 1st and has a predator 90 and will do some things adults are scared of i guess it all depends on what you think but i know mine loves it here is he and his sister she will be 4 june 13th

r81275
01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
i started my son at 3 he is now 4 will be 5 apr 1st and has a predator 90 and will do some things adults are scared of i guess it all depends on what you think but i know mine loves it here is he and his sister she will be 4 june 13th

awesome450
01-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Like the one guy said earlier,40# rider -200#quad = trouble. It would be like if your 200# and your 800# quad rolling on you? Its the parents decision, and they got to live with it.

jetski_dawg
01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
more like...KID(no matter what age)+NO helmet and/or NO proper training= trouble