PDA

View Full Version : journals???? oil returns???

nj300exr
09-10-2002, 05:59 PM
does anyone here no wut journals are ona an engine, i screwed my 300 up real bad when it ran low on oil. i was talking to a very knowledgebale sourece this weekend and he told me that uasually when you run low on oil your journals get screwed over. now what i got from him was baisically that journals are just oil returns in the head. so any info?

nj300exr
09-10-2002, 06:19 PM
i would like to know wherer is a good atv salvage place. cuz if it turns out that the journals are screwed, i am thinking of maybe a 4oo or a cr 250r engine to stick in my frame it i can make it work cuz then it will be a sick bike

Leo
09-10-2002, 09:00 PM
if you ran it that low on oil the cylinder is probably pretty well scuffed up, and the rockers / camshaft likely took a beating..

As long as nothing blew up and scattered debris through the engine, and none of the bearings siezed and spun, then you might be OK..

Best thing to do would be to find someone knowledgeable in your area and have them at least take the top off and have a look.

99% of the bearings in the motor are ball bearings, so they are fairly tolerant of being starved for oil..

Leo