PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect...

blown331
11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
To pay for a COMPLETE engine overhaul.

I'm looking at a 440 kit... about 11:1.. I'd like an upgraded crank/rod/piston setup for reliability if they make them. Money really isn't a concern I just want more power and reliability.

Will they just bore my stock case? Insert a sleeve? Machine cost? which company to machine? if no machining is required... can I heat the sleeve up myself and install (i've worked on car motors for a long time)

any info would help. I'm going to calculate all cost then yank the motor. This 400 is too slow

Kaleigh
11-08-2006, 10:36 AM
they got kits you can buy.. i would buy the kit then have them install it..

Duncan Racing makes a nice 440 kit.. they ran their 440ex nationaly kit against the 450's for the first couple years and won races..

I forget what other companies are out there..

I think CT or Sparks too.. these are also great companies

I would buy all the stuff that you want in it then have them install it..

PismoLocal
11-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by blown331
To pay for a COMPLETE engine overhaul.

I'm looking at a 440 kit... about 11:1.. I'd like an upgraded crank/rod/piston setup for reliability if they make them. Money really isn't a concern I just want more power and reliability.

Will they just bore my stock case? Insert a sleeve? Machine cost? which company to machine? if no machining is required... can I heat the sleeve up myself and install (i've worked on car motors for a long time)

any info would help. I'm going to calculate all cost then yank the motor. This 400 is too slow
When going to a 440 kit you have to send your cylinder to a machine shop, they press out your stock sleeve, bore your cylinder, and press in a new sleeve. After that all the motor work is fairly simple and mostly common sense. I grew up around chevy motors and had no problem doing my rebuild by myself.

If your just planning on doing an 11:1 440 kit, I really dont think that its necessary to buy a whole new crank unless the stock one is busted. If you want an 11:1 440 to be as reliable as possible then you will need a heavy duty head stud kit, 02 crf cam chain, and aftermarket oil cooler or tank to help keep things cool, new clutch kit to put the power to the ground, and a new rod if you want to be really really safe.

My quad has been running as a 440 since 2003 on a stock rod and crank, I really don't think you will have any problems. Imo I wouldn't buy a new rod or crank unless your quad needs it.

blown331
11-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I have a local machine shop that can do what is needed then. awesome.

I'm just really anal about my motors.. I'm a ford guy and even though we don't need to we run billet rods/crank etc in our motors just for peace of mind. I probably will stick with the stock crank as ive heard honda makes good pieces. ill go for the upgraded rod.. any rod you guys would recommend in specific?

also... i'm pretty new into offroad world and want to know... i'm assuming 4 stroke motors have piston rings as well? do these need to be filed? does the sleeve also require a hone? will it come honed?

or am I making this difficult and it really is fairly simple?

As far as the head stud kit.. i was also thinking thats a requirement. Are there any special mods needed for clearance issues with the studs?

thanks for the info guys!

PismoLocal
11-08-2006, 12:53 PM
When you send your stock cylinder/sleeve to the machine shop you have to give them your new 440 piston and sleeve and they will hone your new sleeve.

The stud kit costs $65 and you can have the machine shop intsall it while your cylinder is there. Make sure you have them use a roll form tap.

blown331
11-08-2006, 12:58 PM
roughly, I know machine shops vary. How much would the machine work be?

PismoLocal
11-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I think it broke down to $120 for the old sleeve pressed out, bore, re-sleeve, and hone. $65 for the stud kit and $55 for the installation of the stud kit. In the end I think it was around $250 with shipping both ways.

blown331
11-08-2006, 01:39 PM
thats dirt cheap

do you ship the whole trans and everything to them?

PismoLocal
11-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by blown331
thats dirt cheap

do you ship the whole trans and everything to them?
Nope, you have to take your cylinder off of your motor.

I went on ebay and bought a stock bore cylinder for around $60 that was from a motor that blew, the stock sleeve was pretty much trashed but the rest was in great condition. I sent that cylinder to GT thunder and they pulled the stock sleeve and did all the work I mentioned. It was nice because I was able to ride my quad the whole time that all the work was getting done.

When I recieved the cylinder I went through and installed the new piston, cylinder, cam chain, and sold my cylinder that was still in perfect condition for $150 on this website. It was a pretty good deal. I paid around $320 for the cylinder and machine work but was able to sell my stock cylinder for $150. So I really only spent around $170.