PDA

View Full Version : 05 or 06???

gjackson04
11-08-2006, 05:05 AM
is there alot of difference between the 05 and the 06's? i know they have changed a few things but what i am trying to figure out is if it is worth buying an 06 over an 05

ghott
11-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Yep, lots of changes from 05 to 06.

The 06 has an updated engine, different bore and stroke, and higher compression. It also gets an FCR Carb rather than a standard Keihin. The 06' was updated with titanium valves as well.

The 06' also had some styling changes as well. Go to the Honda site and do a compare between the two. Lots more changes :).

n2deer
11-08-2006, 06:09 AM
well put...:D

CHEVYZ
11-08-2006, 01:48 PM
As similar as they may seem, the bikes are totally different in every aspect. Very few things on the bike were not changed.

As stated, the engines are completely different inside and out-different bore, stroke, compression, carb, airbox, airfilter, exhaust, CDI, gearing, etc. All in all, I find the 06 to be a much more powerful bike. Now, there is an exception. I have heard some rumors that the older model engines are CAPABLE of making more power, but at the same time it is gonna take some big bucks to actually see any differences of that sort.

Handling is a whole other story. Personally, I prefer the way my 05 handles when compared to my 06, but either can be made to suit your wants and needs. In the suspention department, again, everything has been changed. Stiffer shocks, new spindles, arms, etc. The 06 is about an inch wider and longer. They feel like totally different bikes.

Looks have also been changed.... kind of obvious.

Basically, it comes down to what you are looking for that should determine your choice.

ghott
11-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I have heard some rumors that the older model engines are CAPABLE of making more power

This is true...the engine with the bigger stroke will make more power, and the 04/05's have a bigger stroke when compared tot he 06/07's.

But for cheap power, you can't beat the 06/07's. Add the HRC Kit and a DECENT (key word) full pipe and you have a 43-45hp machine. You can't beat this kinda cheap power!

Once you get into the upper 50's and beyond, thats when it gets VERY expensive for each and every year :).

gjackson04
11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
the reason i am asking is b/c i have an 05 that i race now and i was wondering if an 06 would make alot of difference or if i could just buy another 05 so that i could have a parts bike

CHEVYZ
11-08-2006, 03:54 PM
What all do you have done to the 05? If you have alot done to it, it probably wouldn't be worth it. If not much has been done, I would say go for it!

desratt
11-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I had a tricked out 04( which is the same as an 05) and now I have an 06... the 06 is way better... and the coment on the longer stroke being able to make more power is BULL

ghott
11-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by desratt
I had a tricked out 04( which is the same as an 05) and now I have an 06... the 06 is way better... and the coment on the longer stroke being able to make more power is BULL

Lol...I like how you give facts to back up your opinion.

So is that why when builder want more power out of an engine, they bore, and STROKE it? Gotta have a big crank to move a larger piston up and down as quick as a stock bore machine will rev.

If you have facts to prove me wrong...I will surely listen. I'm always trying to learn something new.

CHEVYZ
11-09-2006, 04:38 AM
I don't know about the stroke comment, but I could see where it makes sense. I have heard comments that the older model heads can be ported out more to make better power results than the newer models, also.

desratt
11-09-2006, 05:37 PM
you said they bore and stroke.... the 06 has a bigger bore already just as the 04 has a bigger stroke..

generally a longer stroke helps alot with torque. which is hill climbing or the ability to lug the engine more..

a bigger bore will give more on the top end like when your reved out. and rev higher..

I had a nmotion 520 on my 04 and it pulled like a tracter.. my buddy races his520 in best in the desert and wins consistently. it is easier to ride for those 250-600 mile races... I race the 06 with a stock engine with hrc kit web cam fmf system and slipper clutch. I'll pull him in a flat land drag race