PDA

View Full Version : coos bay

smitht316
11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
has anyone been to coos bay lately. i know its been raining a ton and was wondering how bad the conditions are there. i have a trip planned for this weekend but dont want to go if the dunes are in bad shape

Mechanixx
11-07-2006, 09:58 PM
What part of WA you from? Im from olympia :devil:

guinness77
11-08-2006, 12:04 AM
I was out there yesterday in the section that runs from Spinreel to Horsefall beach. I took Bullrun and the beach both. The North face of the dunes has the winter-familliar face. That is... there is typically a wide section that prone to sand-avalanche. It's great fun as long as you're not going sideways and get pulled down. If you carefully skirt the top you can make some cool sand slides. Just don't get too close or you'll be going over the edge. The southern face of the dunes are getting carved-up by the wind. The trenches range from 3 inches deep to 3 feet deep. But most are only 12 inches. There are still plenty of places to drop down on the south face. All other sections of each dune are really quite smooth. This makes for some high speeds. You'll have to wear a mask since the wind is pushing hard enough to make your face feel a bit sand blasted. If you keep near the edge of the trees you won't have to worry about that at all. If you look carefully along the top of the dunes you'll see the sand being blown off the top. You'll also see sections of the top where sand isn't being blown. head for those sections. The trails are just beginning to show signs of flooding. All major sand roads are still open. You'll only run into deep puddles is you head into the deep wooded trails. The beach is choppy. Beware of sudden 3 foot drop offs. These can be great fun too... as long as you know they're there. There is a beached whale about 450 yards south of the Houser sand road beach entrance. But the Forest Service will probably get it out of there before too long.

The stretch of dunes running from Houser to horsefall camp is in the same shape. However... there are quite a few small lakes beginning to show up. V6 is getting smaller... lots smaller. V8 has turned into a steep razorback. There are crevaces along the top...but only a few. Waterboard hill has lots of crevaces and makes for very challenging navagation. Stay to the west and you'll easily get by. Boxcar hill is the same as always. Beaverslide is a bit steeper at the top, but nothing that's too out-of-the-ordinary.

We have been getting alot of rain and the sand is packed into bands 6 feet wide. The other 6 feet bands are wind-dried sand. Still... you can really get some speed up.

Whoop-de-doo road is in terrible shape. The whoops are nearly 17 inches high in most places. Whoop-dee-doo roade connects houser with the larger riding area (central Bull run to be exact.) Bull run is in absolutely gorgeous shape.

Spinreel is cut all to pieces...as is the norm. It's still a fine place to launch from though.

wsucougfan
11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
you sure do get a of beached whales on that beach, when i was down there is august of 05 there was one then too
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/WsuCougFan/IM000244.jpg

smitht316
11-08-2006, 07:05 PM
well thanks for the info guinness but since the weather has not showed any sign of getting better i have called the trip off.

and Mechan i am from olympia as well. where do you usually go riding around here

Mechanixx
11-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Wadell creek orv park is were I usually ride.I also ride at rock candy mountain and I rode at saddle line orv park once this year but not worth it unless you ride there track and Im not a track rider.If you ride at wadell creek well have to hook up this spring and go for a ride :devil:

guinness77
11-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by wsucougfan
you sure do get a of beached whales on that beach, when i was down there is august of 05 there was one then too
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/WsuCougFan/IM000244.jpg

I remember that whale. What an awful stench it produced. I hope the new whale gets cleaned up a lot quicker. But ever since Florence blew-up their dead whale, nobody on the pacific coast has been all too anxious to mess with letting nature take its course.

JOEX
11-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by guinness77
I remember that whale. What an awful stench it produced. I hope the new whale gets cleaned up a lot quicker. But ever since Florence blew-up their dead whale, nobody on the pacific coast has been all too anxious to mess with letting nature take its course.
LOL! I've seen pics of that mess, definately a learning experience:p

guinness77
11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
LOL! I've seen pics of that mess, definately a learning experience:p

Pics...
Try looking up "Exploding whale Florence" on the net. You'll get to see the news coverage video. It's a big file, but well worth the wait.